I have an idea for a couple of new "widgets" (like the battery monitor, network ... Software & Theme Development forum

jjasonwwhite no está en línea Stack level 2

Theme creation possible without Plazmic?

Advertisement

I have an idea for a couple of new "widgets" (like the battery monitor, network monitor, etc) that I'd like to include on my home screen banner. I'm assuming to do this that I'll need to create a custom theme. Plazmic looks like it gives skinning support, but no access to the code running behind the skins. Is it possible to build a custom theme from straight java code? If so, can anyone point me to some sample code that maybe I could start rolling my features into?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Theme creation possible without Plazmic?

According to Plazmic, the APIs used to create the vendor themes are not available to the general public. That being said, with version 4,2 of the theme builder, the ability to theme the battery and signal strength meters is included. This is discussed in the Theme Builder Users Guide included in the download files.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Rcbjr, ur a walking encyclopedia.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

jjasonwwhite no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    According to Plazmic, the APIs used to create the vendor themes are not available to the general public. That being said, with version 4,2 of the theme builder, the ability to theme the battery and signal strength meters is included.
    Thanks for the input but I'm afraid that's going to quite do it for me. I was hoping to create a small scrolling content bar that would either reside on my top banner near the clock, etc or in a secondary "bar" at the bottom of the screen. I don't know of a way to write an applet that would do that without it being integrated into theme.

The idea started because a coworker and I were talking about how nice it would be to have stock quotes somehow show up on the home screen. That got me to thinking that you could probably set up an RSS push server to configurably collate stock quotes, sports scores, headlines, etc, and make a scrolling bar on the home screen much the same way that CNN and headline news scroll similar information on TV. I've seen similar things for Windows, but nothing for the BB.

So if the theme APIs aren't available to the general public, does anyone know of any other ways to create an applet that runs "on top" of the home screen?

robertmrome no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Sorry I offer any help on the actual coding... But it sounds real cool and I would love to see what you are able to come up with if anything.

Anyway the best advice I can offer would be a simpler version but should be fully viable to do...

Have you installed the push weather program BB offers??
    Basically it is an icon that changes based on the changing weather conditions... You set your zip code and the icon will display a sun, clouds, wind, etc. Based on the changing weather conditions.

My thought would be to do something similar with either stocks individually or the market as a whole... ie. You have a company's logo as the icon and if the stock goes up it turns blue and if it goes down it turns red... If you could do this so that you could put as many icons as you want on your screen you would basically achieve what you want to do!

I guess it could be simplified and modified to work with sport scores also... If they can have the icon change b/t sun and clouds whose to say you couldn't do it with team logo's that change based on who's winning the game! With the weather program when you click it it links directly to a mobile page with the next 5 days weather.... You could have it link to espn's mobile site or something.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

RR