Results 1 to 9 of 9

I've now got several free and several premium themes out floating around there in cyber ... Software & Theme Development forum

  1. #1
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548

    Question Theme compatibility question...

    Advertisement



    I've now got several free and several premium themes out floating around there in cyber world and as such I have received a number of requests for existing themes for other devices and/or OS's.

    I currently use theme builder 5 to develop 8500 series themes but can only test them on my Curve 8530 OS 5. So I'm wondering...

    Exactly what devices and OS's will support my themes (as is) without my having to make any adjustments to them?

    Please only respond if you know for a fact and do NOT give me your best guess

    Thanks in advance to those who reply!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  2. #2
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    If someone could help me with this I would REALLY appreciate it!

    I've asked this same question in two other forums over the course of the last week and the only response I got was today from someone that seemed more interested in being rude and insulting my intelligence than s/he was in being helpful.

    According to that person, the themes I have made for 85xx OS5 (Theme Builder hasn't asked me to specify an OS, btw) WILL ONLY work on 8520, 8530, 9300 and 9330 with OS 5.

    Is this true? They won't work with the same devices with lower OS's?

    I really need to know this information and how to know what devices/OS's my themes will be compatible with because I will start to make newer themes in a few days when my new device comes and I don't want another repeat of someone being rude to me for asking a simple question. Nor do I want a repeat of this morning when I was contacted by someone who purchased one of my themes on MobiHand only to have it not work and then I find out it was because the person had a 9330 with OS6. So obviously when MobiHand sets the auto-matches, they're about as knowledgeable as I am since I only had OS5 marked

    PLEASE point me in the direction of information to clear up my confusion! I have been all over the BB website and can't find anything that helps. I've combed forums and can't find anything that helps. I'm lost and nobody seems to want to help "newbies" for some reason

    Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to answer my question or at least point me in the right direction of getting answers myself!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  3. #3
    PapaMag's Avatar
    PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Posts
    5,722
    83xx, 8350i, 85xx, 9300 will all support your current 85xx versions using theme builder 5.0 as long as you exported for 5.0 OS. Most all 8300's even though it says 8330 specifically. I had a 8320 and ran 5.0 themes all day long. Some devices are still running 4.6 and yes it's true they will not be able to load a 5.0 theme and have it work.

    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color







  4. #4
    PapaMag's Avatar
    PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Posts
    5,722
    Hey Deb the best way to respond to someone complaining from a mobihand download is basically it's their fault. One of the first things mobihand says is to check compatibility for your device. Be sure to stay that it is 5.0 OS. It's not your fault they can't read or know what will work on their device. I had a similar experience just a few days ago. The title to the theme is 97xx Imaginary Romance and they bought it for a 85xx Curve.

    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color







  5. #5
    PapaMag's Avatar
    PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Posts
    5,722
    If you go into mobihand and click on the devices heading it will show you what devices your theme is compatible with, it also shows at the bottom of the display they are looking at for example

    Compatible Devices
    BlackBerry: Curve 8330, Curve 8350i, Curve 8520, Curve 8530, Curve 9300 3G, Curve 9330 3G

    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color







  6. #6
    lak611's Avatar
    lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Hey Deb the best way to respond to someone complaining from a mobihand download is basically it's their fault. One of the first things mobihand says is to check compatibility for your device. Be sure to stay that it is 5.0 OS. It's not your fault they can't read or know what will work on their device. I had a similar experience just a few days ago. The title to the theme is 97xx Imaginary Romance and they bought it for a 85xx Curve.
    Mobihand has been squirrelly for me when I've purchased from my device using their app, rather than from my PC. They've sent me the download links for OS 5 themes, not OS 6 themes. I've contacted Mobihand, and they switched the themes to the proper version.

    Since Mobihand is so buggy when ordered themes and apps from the device using their app, I now only buy apps/themes from their site when I'm using my PC. That way I know if I select a theme or an app, I'm getting the right version.
    Laura

    Follow me on Twitter @lak611

  7. #7
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    83xx, 8350i, 85xx, 9300 will all support your current 85xx versions using theme builder 5.0 as long as you exported for 5.0 OS. Most all 8300's even though it says 8330 specifically. I had a 8320 and ran 5.0 themes all day long. Some devices are still running 4.6 and yes it's true they will not be able to load a 5.0 theme and have it work.
    Yeah see this is why I find it so confusing. RIM really should have some kind of reference chart or something LOL! I get half of the people saying that OS only matters in regards to it not being backward compatible (OS5 will not work on an OS6), but they will work the other way around (OS6 on an OS5), which kind of makes sense to me when nothing much else of this does.

    Well I don't know if it much matters now, my Theme Builder 5.0 took a huge crash on me yesterday (which I was getting ready to post about) and now I'm having to use TB 6.0 *sigh*

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Hey Deb the best way to respond to someone complaining from a mobihand download is basically it's their fault. One of the first things mobihand says is to check compatibility for your device. Be sure to stay that it is 5.0 OS. It's not your fault they can't read or know what will work on their device. I had a similar experience just a few days ago. The title to the theme is 97xx Imaginary Romance and they bought it for a 85xx Curve.
    Yeah I agree, but at the same time, their mistake reflects poorly on me, which just ticks me off. So I made sure to be extremely prompt when replying, as well as to try everything I could to resolve the matter. I requested they refund her money as well as I attempted to convert the theme for her, but it didn't work out so well. In the end she was happy, I was happy and MobiHand got an ear full.

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    If you go into mobihand and click on the devices heading it will show you what devices your theme is compatible with, it also shows at the bottom of the display they are looking at for example

    Compatible Devices
    BlackBerry: Curve 8330, Curve 8350i, Curve 8520, Curve 8530, Curve 9300 3G, Curve 9330 3G
    I did go to my products and add "OS 5" to the product name of each one. I also checked to see what devices MobiHand had marked as compatible, and they have the 8330, 8350i, 8520, 8530, 9300 and 9330 all marked. My best guess is that they don't yet realize that the 9330 supports OS5 and OS6. But there were many emails exchanged between their support and I yesterday, so we will see what happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Mobihand has been squirrelly for me when I've purchased from my device using their app, rather than from my PC. They've sent me the download links for OS 5 themes, not OS 6 themes. I've contacted Mobihand, and they switched the themes to the proper version.

    Since Mobihand is so buggy when ordered themes and apps from the device using their app, I now only buy apps/themes from their site when I'm using my PC. That way I know if I select a theme or an app, I'm getting the right version.
    Yes I agree! I've only purchased one or maybe two apps from them and had nothing but problems. In fact, I purchased QuickLaunch through them and seem to be the only person (according to their support) having the problems I am. QL support has been great in attempting to resolve the issue, however, I didn't even bother contacting MobiHand about it as getting a reply from them typically takes weeks. As it is now I believe I am on my 3rd or 4th version of QL and still having some of the same problems I was.

    IMHO, MobiHand has bit off way more than they can chew at this point and they need to get their act together. If it weren't for the fact that their the only site people are buying my themes from (despite the fact that I have them posted in another forum, on my website, as well as submitted them to App World), I would pull them off because of that.

    But onward and upward I guess LOL! Since I can override their automatic matches, I want to try to at least learn these things so I don't run into this issue again. Unfortunately this is the one area I am having a really hard time grasping.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  8. #8
    lak611's Avatar
    lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Posts
    1,370
    I had no issues with Mobihand until a few months ago. Prior to that, I was able to purchase apps/themes on my device without issues with the wrong version. The bugs started when they redesigned their site. Hopefully they will work out the bugs, since they are frustrating for customers as well as developers who are selling apps/themes.

    I've long since known not to pay for any apps/themes using App World. I strictly use App World for free apps/themes, since I've lost paid apps/themes when upgrading my OS. Mobihand was better whenever I've upgraded or switched devices. I might have needed to wait a couple of days. However, I never had to pay again when using Mobihand.
    Laura

    Follow me on Twitter @lak611

  9. #9
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I had no issues with Mobihand until a few months ago. Prior to that, I was able to purchase apps/themes on my device without issues with the wrong version. The bugs started when they redesigned their site. Hopefully they will work out the bugs, since they are frustrating for customers as well as developers who are selling apps/themes.

    I've long since known not to pay for any apps/themes using App World. I strictly use App World for free apps/themes, since I've lost paid apps/themes when upgrading my OS. Mobihand was better whenever I've upgraded or switched devices. I might have needed to wait a couple of days. However, I never had to pay again when using Mobihand.
    I've had the opposite experience. I've only purchased the one app from MobiHand and its been a complete pain in the rear. But I have tons of apps from app world that I don't have any problems with. At least none to speak of. The only problem I did have was when I purchased an app through them that resulted in my device having to be wiped and my SDcard reformatted, so I lost everything. I requested an immediate refund for the app because the developer admitted they knew it was a problem and they had obviously taken no steps to resolve it. App world immediately started initiating the refund, however, they only sent me half my money back. When I inquired as to why and told them I wanted a full refund, I received it within about two days with no questions asked.

    In the end I think App World support is better, at least from my experience. I've only had to contact MobiHand as a developer and their reply times are all over the place. For instance, the first time I contacted them about one of my products was about two weeks ago, then I had to contact them again the other day because of the previously mention theme compatibility issue. I resolved the issue myself, as best I could and contacted them back to let them know. So I received responses to all my messages on the same day LOL

    The only real issue I do have that drives me nuts is with getting updates. App World won't tell me of updates until I reset my device and MobiHand doesn't inform me of updates at all (and the feature is turned on). So I guess its kind of a catch 22.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •