Hey guys go easy on me I'm a rookie, I do have a quick question. ... Software & Theme Development forum

roli0620 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400DF09E

theme builder help

Advertisement

Hey guys go easy on me I'm a rookie, I do have a quick question. I've loaded the plazmic theme builder on my cpu and I finally figured out how to create new themes. But can anyone let me know how you get those transparent icons to appear on any themes that I create......thanxs

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Re: theme builder help

Welcome to pinstack.com roli0620!~
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

MegaBit no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by roli0620
    Hey guys go easy on me I'm a rookie, I do have a quick question. I've loaded the plazmic theme builder on my cpu and I finally figured out how to create new themes. But can anyone let me know how you get those transparent icons to appear on any themes that I create......thanxs

Good question and the answer may be simple based on your image editing background.

Each icon is a separate graphical element in a theme. They have both a static state and a focus state-- when you roll the thumbwheel to place the focus on that icon. You can make any icons you can dream up as long as they fit within the pixel dimensions for your particular device. The best format to save these icons is portable network graphics, or PNG, in a 24-bit color depth (PNG24) that supports true transparency. Other formats like GIF or even PNG8 (a 256-color depth format) will not allow full shaded transparency on the edges and you'll get an abrupt edge that looks unprofessional or hacky.

To make them transparent or semi-transparent, use a tool such as Photoshop and simply set their opacity to whatever level of "clearness" you want for your theme and save them in PNG24 format with transparency enabled. Setting opacity in Photoshop and other tools is simple and is typically done on a per-layer basis in the image file.

Now, if you don't have the indu$try $tandard Photo$hop tool on your PC or in your budget, you can use another tool that came with your free Plazmic Theme Builder called "Composer". Its a bit more tedious and you cannot edit the icon but you can set the opacity to what you prefer and save it. Open Composer, Open the icon (*.png), click on the Composition tab, Set the Opacity, and save the file. Be sure to make a complete duplicate set of your icons before you start and use them for this process. That way, in case something happens you can go back and start over.

Now you bring these transparent icons into Theme Builder and complete creating your theme like usual. Try just a few and check your work before doing all 100+ icons for a theme. It will probably require a little experimentation at first to get the desired look.

Hope that helps.

ozrial no está en línea BB Themes Guru
    PIN/ID
    Ask

He pretty much nailed it to the "T". The only thing I would add to that is that I use an opacity of 20% for my clear icons. I have tested it out with alot of different settings, and that one I like the best. I use photoshop to edit the images myself as well - its much more versatile to say the least. Ultimately - experimentation is the key!! Have fun, and don't forget to share of course!!!!

officer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244a6afa

If you don't have photoshop, there is freeware available called IrFanview that allows you to save the image with the png extension as well. Editing the images is a bit limited but it is freeware. I built my Eddie Van Halen Theme using IrFanview...
    Also, the different pixel dimension requirements for each type of image group is listed at the end of the Plazmic User Guide. That was extremely handy.
    Buck!!!
    Always somewhere else

roli0620 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400DF09E

Smile Re: theme builder help

Great help guys!!!!!!!! really appreciate it, you guys are awesome!!!

ozrial no está en línea BB Themes Guru
    PIN/ID
    Ask

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    I am very glad to help!

TobiasMoran no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you!