Just recently it was brought to my attention that there is a bug in Theme ... Software & Theme Development forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question TB6 bug & BBM

Advertisement

Just recently it was brought to my attention that there is a bug in Theme Builder 6 which affects BBM on 85xx OS5. To be more specific, when the highlight/focus is moved to the header (where your name and status are located on the BBM home screen), the highlight turns white and the font remains white, resulting in it completely whiting out.

As far as I know, thanks to PapaMag, the only way to counter this bug is to color the background and font in TB6>Theme Global Items>Application. Unfortunately, I don't know about other people, but I've had themes where this is done and I don't like it as I find it personally to be very annoying.

The problem is, I develop for 85xx OS5, 93xx OS6, and 96xx OS5/OS6. I have an 96xx OS6 device with service, as well as a 85xx OS5 without service. So while I can test those themes, it never crossed my mind to test BBM. BBM of course works fine on my 96xx OS6, and as I recently discovered on my 85xx OS5, BBM has this white-out issue. As far as 93xx OS6 and 96xx OS5, I don't know if this is also an issue or not as I've not received any complaints about it, have no way to see for myself, and have no theme testers for those devices. BUT I didn't receive complaints about it with 85xx OS5 until just a couple of days ago on a theme that's been released (as well as a number of others) for sometime now.

So I am wondering...

1. Does anyone know if this particular bug is device specific, as in, does this only happen with 85xx? OR is it OS specific to OS5?

2. Are there any other methods and/or workarounds to avoid the problem, aside from customizing the Applications in TB?

Any information, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated as I've got quite a few themes out that I know this bug has affected, and I would like to try to avoid it if at all possible from this point forward.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Well this has been a huge pain in my rear, but I think I've finally got this figured out.

When this was brought to my attention with my bPatriotic theme this past Monday, I immediately re-tested it on my 8530. Sure enough, when I would focus on the BBM header, it would completely white out. I then re-tested another theme, LiquidBlak, to which I received the same result. As such I did something I shouldn't have and assumed it was a bug in TB6 since that usually tends to be the issue.

Well I spent the last three hours customizing each individual section in TB6, and testing on my 8530 in between each change to see if I could track down the specific "bug". After that long I of course was able to customize everything, however, I wasn't not able to replicate the issue with BBM. I then went back and re-tested yet another theme, FractalTiger. Again, the issue could not be replicated. At that point I figured it was not a bug at all, but rather some combination of colors where the focus and font were concerned, so I started over with the intentions of finding out what in TB6 controls the colors used in BBM.

As it turns out, this issue was created by nothing more than an unfortunate combination of caret color and font. I discovered that the "Titlebar" section in TB controls the color of the BBM caret, background, and font (on focus out). This was of course something I was not aware of as it never crossed my mind to check BBM during testing. When I tested FractalTiger I didn't have the issue because the caret was a light shade of blue. But when I tested bPatriotic and LiquidBlak I had the issue because the caret was set to match the font, which was white. This created a "white-out" effect in BBM because the color of the font when focused on cannot be changed (at least not to my knowledge). As far as I can see, the white caret and font work fine everywhere else, except for in BBM.

So sorry for any confusion this may cause as it's not a bug at all. But if someone does know how to change the color of the BBM header font when it's IN focus, I would really appreciate it!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds like you're learning a lot of things the hard way, JB!

Well, at least you're gaining some valuable knowledge we're fortunate enough to share here on PinStack!

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Sounds like you're learning a lot of things the hard way, JB!

Well, at least you're gaining some valuable knowledge we're fortunate enough to share here on PinStack!

Keep up the great work!
    Thanks Roger!

Hopefully my headaches will save someone from having one of their own LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info