MirandaSoft Computer Services is a private computer agency that has developed specialized software for Palm ... Software & Theme Development forum

MirandaSoft no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Should MirandaSoft develop BlackBerry Software?

Advertisement

MirandaSoft Computer Services is a private computer agency that has developed specialized software for Palm OS devices since April 2000. Development platforms are Microsoft Windows and Linux (multiple flavors).

After skimming through the 200+ pages of the BlackBerry Java Development Environment V4.1.0, Volume 1, I realized that I need to learn Java, because it look foreign to me. (I avoided learning how to program in Java for multiple reasons, mostly security related.) I prefer to develop in C/C++.

Is there any C/C++ Development Environment for BlackBerry devices? If there is, please tell me, because I can port over my software (from Treo 600) and rapidly make new applications.

Marcos

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Should MirandaSoft develop BlackBerry Software?

I think that's a great idea. Sites like www.handango.com show the rapid growth and demand for new and more powerful BB apps

also read:

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...read.php?t=540

Thanks for the info. I have received a lot of feedback on future plans of BlackBerry software development.

I'm concerned about the piracy issues... For Palm software, HotSync ID and a key code is used to register a software. That method is not foolproof as I've seen a lot of Palm software that's been cracked. For BlackBerry software, I've only seen a few software been pirated.

One key thing that I like seeing in BlackBerry software is... IMEI needed for registration. Software, such as IM+ and Verichat uses that method.

There is a lot of software that I want to see on the BlackBerry, that I use on my Treo 600. Before I can even start to program for BlackBerry, my computer hardware has to be either upgraded or replaced. That is a higher priority than building software.

My primary system is a Dell Inspirion 3800. It's a PIII, 500MHz, 128MB RAM, with 40GB Hard Drive. The battery and hard drive were bought in January 2006. OS is Windows XP Pro. Compiling software with Metrowerks CodeWarrior 9.3 for Palms take between 10 and 45 minutes to complete.

As of this writing, I am still debating on whether to upgrade the laptop (add RAM) or replace it with a newer laptop. I've checked on Dell's website for business grade systems. I've checked Fry's Electronics and AAFES, too.

I already have 2 Bluetooth USB dongles, a Sony Ericcson GC79 card from T-Mobile, and 2 external hard drives. Last week's experiment to attempt Bluetooth connectivity and syncing was not successful. As I checked out Pinstack, I've noticed that people want to sync via Bluetooth. I have looked into the Bluetooth section of the BlackBerry development manual, and can see that Bluetooth syncing is possible, but disable when not running BES.

As for BES, I made an attempt to convert over... Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Exchange 2003 Trial, and BES v4 Trial. The test system was my laptop, and I spent more time trying to configure everything. BES found the Bluetooth and wanted to sync my calendar. -- My question is, why can't the Bluetooth sync in BES be used in DM?

A few people offered to be beta-testers for me... I know how to fix PalmOS crashes, but not BlackBerry crashes. I would hate to be the guy that made software that erased someone's data. Though I will have disclaimers, distributing buggy software is not one of my goals.

Thanks for the resources on programming the BlackBerry. I have taken the info into consideration.

Marcos
    MirandaSoft! International http://www.MirandaSoft.net
    Owner of Treo 600 (T-Mobile)

gabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Java is definitely worth learning, regardless of whether or not you intend to write software for BlackBerry. I really want to start writing some software for BlackBerry, but their emulator only runs on Windows and all of my machines are Macs .
    PIN: 2022D44B
    Cingular BB 7290
    my free blog hosting

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Java is definitely worth learning, regardless of whether or not you intend to write software for BlackBerry. I really want to start writing some software for BlackBerry, but their emulator only runs on Windows and all of my machines are Macs .
    What version of Mac do you have?

I was playing around with the emulator, yesterday... Very interesting. It function better than POSE (PalmOS Simulator).

At the thrift store, I decided to get 2 books...
    1. Java 2 Complete. Sybex. Copyright 1999
    2. Java: How to program, 4th edition. Prentice Hall. Copyright 2002.

I installed Blackberry JDE, too, but was clueless how to operate it in the short time I had. My next "Free" time for deciding on doing any developing is on Wednesday.
    MirandaSoft! International http://www.MirandaSoft.net
    Owner of Treo 600 (T-Mobile)