Hello, I am preparing for the development of my first application for BB. This application ... Software & Theme Development forum

zduniak no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Requirements: background app, launch during phone start, GPS and GPRS notif

Advertisement

Hello,

I am preparing for the development of my first application for
    BB. This application needs to have network access as well as
    access to the embedded GPS perfectly without any notification to the
    user, or eventually only one notification during install time. Is it
    something possible to achieve in BB ? Could you please point to some documentation about it ?

Other requirements that I would like to check first if they are possible to achieve in BB:

1. This application needs to be run in background.
    2. The application needs to be started during phone start (so working as a service).
    3. It must be possible to receive and read SMS (perfectly using dedicated port number, not using standard Inbox).

Are all of these requirements possible to achieve on BB ? Could you please point to some documentation (or keywords) ?

Thank you and best regards,
    Marcin

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Notifications will have to been shown to the user unless they configure their firewall to allow all connections in their settings.

As for the list:
    1) Background threads/services are allowed
    2) Can be done
    3) I'm not sure. Why does it need to specifically need to be SMS if you don't mind me asking? BlackBerry has a PIN messaging service/network and applications can utilize that to communicate with other BlackBerries.

You might have been here already but the BlackBerry Developer website has pretty much everything you need to get started:

BlackBerry Developer's Website

There you can find the BlackBerry API, PDF documentations, samples, and the JDE needed to produce BlackBerry Applications. Depending on what features you are looking to implement, you might also need to get your code signed to access certain restricted APIs. This can be done by ordering keys from RIM. The website has information on that as well.

Code Signing Information

BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0 API

Oh and of course Java knowledge is required
    Last edited by Jaricanese; 02-15-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sounds like you want to write an application that reports the device GPS coordinates when the device receives a specially formatted SMS message.

Background processes that are initiated on startup are possible, however, every running application on the device can be viewed by the user, and terminated by the user. So, I hope your intent isn't to make some sort of invisible tracker application.

In any case... part of the location services API, and most of the SMS API require a signing key from RIM. Device startup also requires a signed application.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

zduniak no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up

Thats right Thyth, it will be application for employer who wants to know where his employees are located.

This application does not need to be invisible, but it must not disturb users in their normal usage of the mobile phone.

Thyth, could you please confirm also this:
    3. It must be possible to receive and read SMS (perfectly using dedicated port number, not using standard Inbox).
    ?

Signing of the application is not a problem for us, we are aware of signing process.

Best regards,
    Marcin

Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Sounds like you want to write an application that reports the device GPS coordinates when the device receives a specially formatted SMS message.

Background processes that are initiated on startup are possible, however, every running application on the device can be viewed by the user, and terminated by the user. So, I hope your intent isn't to make some sort of invisible tracker application.

In any case... part of the location services API, and most of the SMS API require a signing key from RIM. Device startup also requires a signed application.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    I haven't looked too carefully at the SMS capabilities of the API. Text messaging is pretty much pure profit for the cellular phone companies, so I don't use SMS in my applications.

Is there any reason the devices can't use a data connection for this? The BlackBerry API is designed around using data sources for these sorts of applications.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/