I've learned a lot in this past week when it comes to developing BB themes, ... Software & Theme Development forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Random theme dev questions

Advertisement

I've learned a lot in this past week when it comes to developing BB themes, however, there are still a couple minor things that I can't seem to figure out on my own. Since PapaMag and RogerG have been so kind and patient with helping me here in the past, I thought I would post my questions here in hopes they or someone else can answer them (they asked for it LOL).

OK, these questions are concerning customizations on the 8530....

The one thing that is really bugging me that I can't seem to figure out or get an answer to is this... from the app screen, if I hover over an icon and press the menu button and select "move to folder", a dialog box appears with all folders listed.

1. Is there a way to change the order of these folders (organize alphabetically)?
    2. Is there a way to apply my custom colors/settings to this dialog?

Now from the home screen, if I press and hold the menu button a dialog pops up showing all the apps running in the background.

1. Is there a way to apply my custom colors/settings to this dialog?

Concerning Theme Builder 5...

1. Under "Theme the Home Screen" it allows you to set a custom "Background" and "Application List" image. What exactly does the image next to "Application List" do as I don't ever see it any where?

2. Under "Theme Global items", what exactly do the colors specified for "Application" apply to?

Lastly... concerning OTA's...

1. If I want to send a theme (premium) to someone for testing but don't want everyone to be able to download it, just people I specifically send it to, how can I go about doing this? Like a private or hidden OTA.

OK, well I believe that's all for now. But if people keep being helpful I might just have more LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    folders are a stock setting in theme builder unless you have an option in theme builder it can't be adjusted, same with the dialog box, not one which we can play with unless RIM desides to let us. Once again pressing and holding the menu button brings up a stock screen which we can't customize..

In theme builder 5 the application colors are critical to some apps, it's starts stock black for the text and white for the background. the background color is what you will see in the options and other menu screens. Be careful when playing with the text color, stay with a darker color because for instance in blackberry messenger the stock background is very light, if you go with a light color for the text it will be very hard to read.

OTA's obviously you have to trust your tester. Send them a link to the ota in a PM or email have faith that they won't pass it around. If they do find a tester you can trust. I have found that the best tester for my device is me. I'm a very hard critic when it comes to my themes. If you are making for several devices then you need testers because the simulators do not tell you all you need to know.

This is strictly from the eye of PapaMag, there are surely different opinions when it comes to theme building and I'm sure there are developers that may tell you just the opposite of some issues. Find out what your users that download your themes like then run with it.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    folders are a stock setting in theme builder unless you have an option in theme builder it can't be adjusted, same with the dialog box, not one which we can play with unless RIM desides to let us. Once again pressing and holding the menu button brings up a stock screen which we can't customize..
    OK, I was afraid of that. It would be nice to have the ability to carry a theme throughout. It just gives for a smoother appearance in my opinion. But oh well... maybe some day.

In theme builder 5 the application colors are critical to some apps, it's starts stock black for the text and white for the background. the background color is what you will see in the options and other menu screens. Be careful when playing with the text color, stay with a darker color because for instance in blackberry messenger the stock background is very light, if you go with a light color for the text it will be very hard to read.
    So would these apply only to Blackberry Add-on, Core or all 3rd party apps?

OTA's obviously you have to trust your tester. Send them a link to the ota in a PM or email have faith that they won't pass it around. If they do find a tester you can trust. I have found that the best tester for my device is me. I'm a very hard critic when it comes to my themes. If you are making for several devices then you need testers because the simulators do not tell you all you need to know.
    I too prefer to test on my own device, but I still need feedback from other people. My themes have been downloaded almost 2500 times and I've received next to none when it comes to feedback. I have people I know I can trust, the problem is, I don't know where to have a theme hosted that it won't be viewable to the public.

Do you know of any where I can host a theme and have it set to private so that only the people I send the link to can download it?

This is strictly from the eye of PapaMag, there are surely different opinions when it comes to theme building and I'm sure there are developers that may tell you just the opposite of some issues. Find out what your users that download your themes like then run with it.
    This is exactly what I want is opinions from everyone. I know what might work for one theme dev may not work for another. But I want to make sure I have taken everything into consideration. But again, I don't know what the users like because they don't offer any feedback. In the almost 2500 downloads my themes have had, I've received one request, two inquiries about other devices and a couple compliments. Thats it

Thanks for the reply though, its very much appreciated!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    If you change the color in appications and then go to theme the controls you will see the background color change, also in messages. BlackBerry Messenger is the only one I use that is affected, but I don't use alot of apps so...

If I was to host your OTA's I would be the only one that would have access to your information, you would be set up as a ftp user through PapaMags and download filezilla per say and then you would only have access to the folders you want me to set up in your ftp account. Please check with Roger on this because I know that PinStack also hosts or at least used to.

You will find as time goes on that you will get very little feedback on your themes. It's just a matter of fact and it's usually a standard nice job or something to that affect. I also know that my best success has been with the girly type themes and for the 85xx device. I just don't like making alot of them even though they sell the best. Money is not what drives me in theme building so it really doesn't matter. Right now I sell most of my themes overseas, you just never know.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

If you change the color in appications and then go to theme the controls you will see the background color change, also in messages. BlackBerry Messenger is the only one I use that is affected, but I don't use alot of apps so...

If I was to host your OTA's I would be the only one that would have access to your information, you would be set up as a ftp user through PapaMags and download filezilla per say and then you would only have access to the folders you want me to set up in your ftp account. Please check with Roger on this because I know that PinStack also hosts or at least used to.

You will find as time goes on that you will get very little feedback on your themes. It's just a matter of fact and it's usually a standard nice job or something to that affect. I also know that my best success has been with the girly type themes and for the 85xx device. I just don't like making alot of them even though they sell the best. Money is not what drives me in theme building so it really doesn't matter. Right now I sell most of my themes overseas, you just never know.
    Thanks a bunch Papa for the info, I really appreciate it!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info