I'm putting this here even though it may only be related to android and iPhone. ... Software & Theme Development forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Questions regardin app building (all opinions welcome)

Advertisement

I'm putting this here even though it may only be related to android and iPhone.

I'm on a committee that is attempting to resurrect a church that closed a few years back. It has fallen on me to investigate the possibility of using today's fascination with electronics to bring this church (and possibly another) into the 21st century.

While searching the market I ran accross an app for another Methodist church that really impressed me in it's features and implementation with that churches goals. I think the app would work for us since it is a younger group we will be hoping to attract. I'm going to attempt to contact that church to get more info, but I thought asking some questions here would help me along as well.

How expensive is app development?
    What would we need to provide as far as resources and content delivery?
    Where would I begin?
    If you attended a church would this be a benefit to you as a member?

Here is the app I'm looking at:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...oadie.app_1359

One of our members attended this church and plans on contacting them. I'm impatient (and need to have some ideas/answers by next week), plus any ideas and opinions outside our circle will help.

Thanks for any help.
    Jay

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    That's cool, Jay! I'm going to move this thread into the software and theme development forum.....

So you're thinking about developing the app yourself or contracting this developer to make something similar for your church.

I know many churches (mine included) are moving towards this sort of technology with regards to being able to watch services live via the internet, giving online, etc. I think my church might be all over something like this, too.

I personally know nothing about app development, but I might know some people who do.

I haven't the skills to accomplish this. I looked into the company that made the app I referenced and its sort of steep.

I'm hoping to find someone interested and work something out.

And of course, if I can, I will do all I can to share with other churches.

Define, "steep" lol

1200 to I believe 5000 over a year.
    Doesn't sound like much, but we're facing a 175,000 lien left behind by old congregation, and only 100,000 grant from conference.
    Its important I be frugal.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I wish I could help...maybe I´ll tweet The Pope...

But seriously, good luck with this endeavor Jay. I´m sure you´ll be successful.

Understood. Just interested in knowing a ballpark before I reached out to people. Why the big range (1200-5000)?

So there are many in your congregation with smartphones who could/would utilize this app?

http://mobileroadie.com/

Its a turnkey app company, and they tier downloads etc.

As for my church, doubtful we have enough now. I love our congregation but they're getting up there in years. That's one of the reasons looking towards attracting younger groups. Our membership is close to 900, but only about 300 attending.

The church we are trying to reopen is in an area that is rapidly growing with younger families. Hope to have true demographics soon. I beloved the church needs to enter the 21st century and embrace new methods to keep the congregation informed and to attract new members. Traditional and contemporary services are wonderful for Sunday, but we need to show we can adapt a bit in the information age.

Sorry, I'll climb down from the pulpit now....

Maybe there's somebody in your congregation that could do the development for free, but then maybe get paid per download.

Keeping my fingers crossed for just such a thing, but love having a backup plan. Outmr database is about to go live, and I heard there was a rumor about an app for that. Unfortunately I can't get to the communications head, he's on vacation.

Gotta live committees. In any event, our church council is tight with the funds, this time of year I believe giving dries up. Not to mention our mortgage etc.
    just investigating alternative means to the end.

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't think it's that expensive to get started in building an app. I know the iOS software development kit is $100. It might be about the same for the google sdk. I would just start out with storyboard sketches of each screen you want in the app. I'm sure you could find someone less expensive than that to help you develop. I admire your desire to help out your church. I'm an avid church goer and believer myself. Hope this helps.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    JF it has a lot to do with which platform your prefer as well, like mr holder said, different platform have different costs and requirements involved. hit me up tommorrow with more info and i will help if I can
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Will be in touch with you today th. Busy weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mrholder View Post
    I don't think it's that expensive to get started in building an app. I know the iOS software development kit is $100. It might be about the same for the google sdk. I would just start out with storyboard sketches of each screen you want in the app. I'm sure you could find someone less expensive than that to help you develop. I admire your desire to help out your church. I'm an avid church goer and believer myself. Hope this helps.
    I can't do this. Simply lack the skill. Beginning to reach out at church, especially to the youth.

What I envision is an app that can be used accross the committees and groups to share important information. As well I would like to be able to deliver content such as podcast (sermons, etc.), images from special functions (mission trips), and the like.

What may be a big catch is I want the app code to be easily cudtomizable and redistributed. If I get this done than it will be shared with other congregations and denominations. I understand capitalism and development costs, but once done I'd like a church to be able to grab it and use it for their congregation without paying a cent. Spreading the Word should not have a dollar sign attached.

Big hopes I know. But far more has been done with much less. I just need to find the right people with the same desire and with skills.

Will be praying in the meantime.