Hey all, we are in the process of having an application written for our business ... Software & Theme Development forum

filletophil no está en línea Stack level 1

Questions for an app in development

Advertisement

Hey all,
    we are in the process of having an application written for our business through a third party software developer.

We are going to be using BB Bolds, and having them take photos/videos of customer sites and reporting data back to a web portal for clients to view (amongst other things)

There are a few questions our developers have which I was wondering if this forum could help with...

Thanks in advance

Device related:
    1.What are the maximum file sizes (photo, audio and video) that can be captured by the device?
    2.What are formats of photos, audio and video for the device?
    3.What is the maximum data size that can be uploaded from device without encountering timeout?
    4.What is the maximum storage capacity that is available to a mobile application?
    5.Are there any security constraints which are imposed on a mobile application?

Network related:
    1.What is the maximum/average bandwidth available for data transfer?
    2.What is the maximum data size that can be uploaded over network without encountering timeout?
    Last edited by filletophil; 10-02-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by filletophil View Post
    1.What are the maximum file sizes (photo, audio and video) that can be captured by the device?
    2.What are formats of photos, audio and video for the device?
    3.What is the maximum data size that can be uploaded from device without encountering timeout?
    4.What is the maximum storage capacity that is available to a mobile application?
    5.Are there any security constraints which are imposed on a mobile application?

Network related:
    1.What is the maximum/average bandwidth available for data transfer?
    2.What is the maximum data size that can be uploaded over network without encountering timeout?
    Some of these answers are specific to the bold.
    1 and 2. Absolute maximum possible file that will be generated by the photo application is 7.33 megabytes or so (1600x1200, 32-bit RGB image). In real world situations, I have yet to see a photo taken that is more than 1.5 megabytes, since photos are JPEG quantized.

As far as video, I've generated a 4 GB video through the video recorder, but it did not play after saving. I don't know the maximum there, but videos are saved in 3gp format.

Audio via the voice recorder is limited to 30 second increments. It can record for longer, but the output is split over multiple 30 second files. These are stored in AMR format, and are pretty compact.

3. That depends on where you are uploading. There is no specific limit in the BlackBerry OS.

4. Application executable data and embedded resources are constrained to internal device memory. Non-executable resources generated by a program can be stored in either internal memory, or on a media card. I think the Bold has 128 MB of internal device memory, 1 GB of internal media-only memory, and a microSDHC slot which can take cards up to 16 GB with the latest operating system.

5. Yes, but this question is too general to be answered in one paragraph. If you have specific questions about under which circumstances an application can access certain resources, I could answer those.

Network:
    1. That depends on the network that you are on.
    GPRS: 114 kbps (Max), probably about half of that in typical use (signal strength is a big factor).
    EDGE: 240 kbps (Practical max), ditto about typical use with GPRS.
    HDSPA/3G: 3600 to 7200 kbps, depending on the towers. If you're stationary, and the towers aren't under extreme load, you can hit the respective maximums in practical situations.

2. Same answer as on the device side. But, realistically, a cellular data provider might get interested, in a bad way. if you are sending gigabytes worth of data on a regular basis. Verizon, for example, has stipulations in contract that use of 5 GB in a monthly period is "excessive" and could result in contract termination.