Hi!! I'm new to the forums... and to the BlackBerry too. I was assigned a ... Software & Theme Development forum

Edder_Ramirez no está en línea Stack level 1

Questions about developing...

Advertisement

Hi!! I'm new to the forums... and to the BlackBerry too.

I was assigned a little project and there are a lot of things I don't know! I was wondering if you could help me out with some of my questions, or if you know where I can get some answers. Thanks in advance!!

- Do you know what is the maximum allowed size for an application (including pesrsitant storage if possible)?

- Is it possible to use an image (PNG or a Bitmap generated from one) as a button? I've been able to paint "something" in a button using the Graphics.paint() method, but there are certain sections of the button that remain the same.

- What happen when you receive a message to your BlackBerry? Does it "wake up" and show some kind of message? Is a specific aplication launched? Is there a way to make a specific application respond to messages coming in?

- How is persistant storaged data managed within the BlackBerry? If you want to get some data, do you have to retrieve it all, or can you get just a portion? What about ordering it, can it be done directly, or would you need to put it temporaly on a vector or something like that, order the data, and then store it again?

I know some of them are pretty basic. but I'm really new to all this. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Edder Ramirez.
    Last edited by Edder_Ramirez; 07-12-2007 at 07:40 PM.

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Just wanted to say welcome to the stacks
    --------------------------------------------------------
    - j a n e l l
    Theirs more to life than cell phones...Theirs BLACKBERRY's

Re: Questions about developing...

Thanks jgirly2! It looks like a great place to learn pretty cool stuff! And everyone seem so nice, thanks for the welcome!

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Your very welcome Edder. Yes! this place is awesome, I've learned sooooo much here and made some pretty interesting friends in just the short time I've been here.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    - j a n e l l
    Theirs more to life than cell phones...Theirs BLACKBERRY's

I've just ben part of 2 forums before, and it is really a good way/place to make good friends
    By the way, do you know if this is the rght place to post my questions about developing? I usually choose the wrong sections when I'm new to a forum :P

I found the answer to 2 of my questions (the ones in blue... or purple... I'm daltonic :P).

It is possible to use an image as a button. You just have to create a BitmapField and make it FOCUSABLE. You also have to add code to manage events on that field, but once you are done with that, you can have your image/button working (almost) normally.

And about the persistent storage, you DO have to get it all to change it. After the chages (ordering, editing, adding and/or deleting of items) you save the data again.

Do you have any idea of the answer to the other 2 questions? Thanks in advance!!

Edder Ramirez.

Hello everyone!!

I just encountered another problem... I don`t know how to send SMS on the BlackBerry simulator
    Im using BlackBerry JDE 4.2.1 and its simulator. Do you know how to send SMS, maybe from the simulator to itself? Is this possible? Do I have to add any numbers to "My number" that appears whe I try to use the phone in the simulator?

Thanks in advance!!

Edder_Ramirez