Hi everybody, Great to see a new developer's forum! I was wondering if there are ... Software & Theme Development forum

eli
    eli no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    201cfd69

Question Push without BES

Advertisement

Hi everybody,

Great to see a new developer's forum! I was wondering if there are any documented methods of pushing data to BlackBerry without access to the BES/MDS server. Browser channel push, cache push, etc. all seem to require BES (which makes sense, I guess).

Thx,
    Eli

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yes i've heard it's posible via xml.

Hmmm... v4.0 uses MIDP 2.0 for PUSH services there a lot of info about MIDP here. Maybe you will find something there:

http://developers.sun.com/techtopics...icles/pushreg/

darren no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Push without BES

You most certainly can do this without a BES. I've built an app that sends XML-formatted messages to handhelds via email. When you send to the devices direct "@carrier.blackberry.net" address, the delivery is immediate.
    Use the built-in APIs to listen to the inboxes for incoming messages, and when your app sees a message with a certain subject line, or from address etc, you can invoke the built-in XML parser to pull out the data. No BES required.
    (I then send messages back to the my server (a set of Perl CGI scripts) using a simple HTTP GET via the builtin browser methods. All of the above is well documentedin the Application Developer Guide PDFs on the RIM developers site.

Cheers, and happy coding.

eli
    eli no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    201cfd69

Darren,

That's exactly what I first thought of doing -- I'm very glad to hear it is possible!

Though this MIDP Push Registry thing is pretty interesting -- it basically just creates a listener on a particular TCP/UDP port that a server can send data to as needed.

Not sure which approach I like better. Filtering messages sounds messier, but I think it would have lower overhead on the server side.

Eli

cadetstimpy no está en línea Stack level 1

do you guys know how to set up the blackberry to function online without BES? i have found some instruction but no luck yet getting it to work, i put in the APN and it still says data connection refused. so im not sure what to do.. i have a 7280 and i run on cellular one.. anyone have any suggestions?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

cadetstimpy, Please read the responses to your other posts on the same subject.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles