either theres not much info on this, or im just not searching for the right ... Software & Theme Development forum

Notorious170 no está en línea Stack level 3

preparing website for ota downloads

Advertisement

either theres not much info on this, or im just not searching for the right words. this is what ive found so far from http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...theme_ota.html...

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741
    Hi TechieGirl

This may help.

To enable ota install on your web site look over the below text and it should help you understand what is needed in order to host ota files.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    the .jad file is the starting point that you post as the link for people to point to with the BB browser. You'll also need to place all the .cod files onto the server. The .jad file is a package listing of all the files the OTA action will need to download-- so after you make .jad file set, do not change any filenames because they are all encoded in the .jad file. The number of .cod files depends on how many graphic elements your particular theme has. Some of mine had 4 and some had 10 .cod files.

the server needs to have some things enabled. I know that Apache servers are the preferred ones. You also need a file to tell the server how to handle requests. This is a .htaccess file. Note there is nothing preceeding the initial "dot" in the filename. The file needs to have this contents (build with a text-only editor like Notepad):

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType audio/adpcm adp

This file needs to be in every folder you create on the server with .jad and .cod files. Again, the file name is everything inside the quotes ".htaccess".

I have also found that you must use the OTA installation of the Theme Reader application for OTA themes to work. Seems like a bug but I repeated it in testing. So, upload them too and place a link for users to grab them.

the active link is to the themename.jad file

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To create the .jad file while using the theme builder select Export and choose the .jad option. Save to a folder and be sure to keep all those files saved together as they are all needed as outlined above.
    i have tried to save the ".htaccess" file, but it wont take to my server (frontpage 2002). i actually see the text of the .jad file. can anyone guide me in the right direction?
    Last edited by Notorious170; 08-28-2007 at 09:53 AM.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Re: preparing website for ota downloads

The htaccess file is for a Linux hosted web site, that controls your access to the site on Linux web sites. It all depends on what type of hosting that you have. I tried your link and I was redirected to another site. It looks like the file is not there or there is a problem as I can view the main site but nothing else.

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.

i tried that on my server and no go for ota.
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.

im using a dedicated server with apache. I have those set on my httpd.conf file and still i cannot stream .jad files to my phone. i get errors.
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

It sounds as tho you have placed the .htaccess file in the wrong place on the server. It needs to reside in the folder that contains any ota downloads.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

my ISP runs an Apache ftp server, I created .htaccess the file and put it in a directory where I have some jad and jar files. When I go there from my BB, I get the file actually opening and not bringing up the actual OTA screen. There must be a switch somewhere else...I'm not using any code embedded in an HTML file, this is just a directory.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

the way it was explained to me was that you needed to have each 'alx and subsequent cods' in the same folder. (i.e., for my themes, i have one folder that is for the theme, then inside that folder, i have a folder named OTA and i drop the alx and cod files for the theme in that one file). the htaaccess file resides on my public directory. it just sits there.

i've never tried to access my directory from my bb, if i am testing the OTA, i just email myself the .jad url FROM the directory...maybe you have it set up, you are just going to find it the wrong way

the pros will be able to shed more light....