Ok for all you BlackBerry users that have always wanted your own, here is a ... Software & Theme Development forum

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda

PapaMag's Basic Theme Development Tutorials

Advertisement

Ok for all you BlackBerry users that have always wanted your own, here is a basic guide to help you create your own themes using Theme Builder 5.0

Here are a few items you will want to grab and get loaded on your pc to get started building themes either for yourself or to share with us at pinstack.com.

BlackBerry Theme Studio v5.0 Download HERE. This is the development software that you will use to build your themes. Tutorials on how to use this Studio will start shortly.

Gimp 2.6.0 Download HERE. This is a program you can use to resize, color, do animations, etc. This will be explained furture as the tutorials begin.

MWSnap Download HERE. This tool can be used to snap screenshots or just about anything else you want to take a picture of. Tutorials to follow as well, but this one is pretty simple to use.

There are several other tools availabe, either for free or ones you can purchase to make icon sets, colorize etc. We will be adding more tools that will help you out as we go, but to start with download the above to get started.

Section A: Selecting The Walls
    This is what I consider the most important part of building a theme. If you don't have the right walls, there is a real good chance you won't like the outcome of you theme either.

There are several things you may want to take into consideration when selecting the pictures you will use for your theme. Below is a list I think is important. If any developers have any to add please do so.

1-The obvious is to select 4 to 6 pictures related to the topic you are trying to deliver at the end. I say 4-6 pictures, I try and find even more because sometimes what you think is what you want, does not work out once you begin your theme. I like to have options at this point.

2-Try and find pictures that are crisp and clear and as large as you can find them. For example the 89xx Curve screen size is 480 by 360. I usually am looking for walls in the 1024 x 768 range then reduce them down leaving me with a very nice picture to use on my theme. The important thing is to go bigger is better. If you are doing a 8220 Flip phone or Storm theme it is better if the picture is taller than wider to eliminate the squatty or stretched look.

3-Find pictures that have a good color mix and match with each other, so that you maintain the color flow to your theme and the icon and font colors you select work well with each screen.

4-Try and find pictures that leave you just color and not alot of picture in the top portion of the screen so that your banner objects (Time, Date, Signal, Battery, etc.) is not covering the important parts of the picture such as the face of a person etc. This makes the walls stand out and not focus on the banner objects.

5-Once you have found the pictures you want to use, it's time to resize them to the proper size for the device you are building your theme for. For me the program I use is Gimp. Resizing the wallpaper is a very simple step even though Gimp can look complicated, this step is one of the easiest to accomplish. This will be discussed in the next section.

Please keep in mind that there are many ways of accomplishing the sizing of your walls. Later on we will be adding other methods of accomplishing this task as well.

There are many sites on the web for finding great wallpapers to work with. Please show respect to copyright's, and the legal use of some that are available. I have tons in my library if someone is looking for something specific. Just get in touch and I'll see what I can do.

Section B: Resizing Wallpapers using Able Batch Converter, Gimp, and Photoshop

Here is a couple methods of resizing your Wallpapers

Watch The Video Tutorial HERE

Section C: Introducing You To Theme Suite 5.0

A quick introduction to Theme Builder 5.0

Watch The Video Tutorial HERE

Section D: Importing Your Resized Wallpapers Into Theme Builder

Hopefully you have a set of wallpapers resized to use for your theme

Section E: Working Within The Banner Area

Transparent Icon png Image HERE

Watch The Tutorial HERE

Section F: Choosing And Coloring Fonts

Watch The Tutorial HERE

Section G: Choosing, Sizing, Coloring Icon Selections

Watch The Tutorial HERE

Section H: Working With Controls, Messages, Phone, Global Items

Controls and Messages Tutorial HERE

Phone Tutorial HERE

Global Items Tutorial HERE

Section I: Exporting Your Theme

Watch The Tutorial HERE

If you have any questions don't hesitate to respond in this section or send me a PM. Enjoy have fun

Last edited by PapaMag; 01-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

b6836ksf no está en línea Stack level 1
    its very complete tutorial . hope the tutorial will continue to hidden dock and svg files for dummies like me.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Stop on by papamagsbbthemes I have a few in the blog section

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color