How do you make Icons? I am creating a theme and I wanted to make ... Software & Theme Development forum

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F

Making Icons

Advertisement

How do you make Icons? I am creating a theme and I wanted to make my own icons to match perfectly.

emte no está en línea Stack level 1
    Myself I am using Inkscape and the Plazmic CDK.

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well I use plazmic but it won't make the icon I am trying to make. I will look into inkscape though. Thanks!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks! That is exactly what I need. Now I can perfect my themes!

GIMP is okay ... but it is a raster image program where as Inkscape is a vector image program. What is the difference?

The difference shows up in the pixels arround the edges of crisp lines, raster images create grim dithering when your using less than three colors, where vector images step cleanly and keep the edges sharp. In the end it is mostly a personal choice, but I know that Plazmic uses PNG which is primarily a vector format overlayed onto compressed raster support.

Both GIMP and Inkscape are open source. Having a few years experiance using Macromedia(now Adobe) and Adobe's tools, Inkscape behaves simular in use and functionality. Where GIMP has a long way to go yet, not to say it does not have some great features, they are just awkward to use if your used to the other tools.

Obviously you can tell which I am using but I hope the brief overview might help someone choose the tool that works best for them.

After posting that and running off to a meeting and working all day it occured to me that I should mention I do use gimp for background and photo work.

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Thanks, I am making a hourglass that is very complicated for one of my themes, so this will help a lot. Thanks evryone.