Hello, I'm having trouble using the Blackberry ESS v4.0.2 in Standalone mode. I can send ... Software & Theme Development forum

eli
    eli no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    201cfd69

Question Email Server Simulator in Standalone mode

Advertisement

Hello,

I'm having trouble using the Blackberry ESS v4.0.2 in Standalone mode. I can send messages from the device and then check them with Outlook (using pop server localhost), but I can't seem to send any messages to the device. The ESS smtp server keeps saying "no sender." I've tried changing the From address, but still no dice.

Anyone get this working?

Eli

Gina no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Email Server Simulator in Standalone mode

I can get email to go FROM my BB to my Outlook on my PC, but cannot seem to get emails going from Outlook to my BB Simulator using the localhost as smtp. Any ideas?

Using the Email Server Simulator
    The BlackBerry JDE includes an Email Server Simulator that enables you to send and receive email between the device simulator and either a desktop email application, such as Microsoft Outlook, or POP3 and SMTP servers. A BlackBerry Enterprise Server is not required.

Start the Email Server Simulator
    On the Start menu, click Programs > Research In Motion > BlackBerry Java Development Environment 4.0 > Email Server Simulator.
    Select one of the following modes:
    Mode
    Description

Standalone mode
    The ESS stores messages on the local file system and communicates directly with a desktop email application. No POP3 or SMTP server is required./The ESS can communicate with any desktop email application that supports POP3 and SMTP, such as Microsoft Outlook Express. The desktop email account must have the POP3 server set to localhost on port 110 and the SMTP server set to localhost on port 25.

Connected mode
    The ESS polls the user POP3 email server for incoming messages, and uses the user SMTP server to send messages. Valid POP3 and SMTP servers are required.

If you select the Standalone mode option, click Clean FS to erase ESS messages that are stored on the local file system.
    If you select the Connected mode option, complete the following fields:
    Field
    Description

Outgoing
    The host name of the SMTP server that your email account uses

Incoming
    The host name of the POP3 server that your email account uses

User name
    The user name with which to connect to your email account

Password
    The password with which to connect to your email account

Poll inbox
    How often, in seconds, the simulator checks your email inbox for new messages

Complete the following fields:
    Field
    Description

Name
    The name to display in outgoing messages from the device simulator

Email
    The email address to display in outgoing messages from the device simulator

PIN
    The personal information number (PIN) that is used by the device simulator (by default, the PIN is 0x2100000A)

Send an email using the device simulator
    Start the Email Server Simulator. See "Start the Email Server Simulator" on page 3 for more information.
    Click Launch.
    Check the command prompt for detailed information on ESS startup, including any login errors.
    Start the device simulator. See "Starting the device simulator" on page 4 for more information.
    Open the Messages application.
    Click the mouse wheel button.
    Click Compose Email.
    Select an email address.
    Click the mouse wheel button.
    Type a subject and message.
    Click Send.
    Load test using the device simulator
    Start the Email Server Simulator. See "Start the Email Server Simulator" on page 3 for more information.
    Click Load Test.
    Check the command prompt for detailed information on ESS startup, including any login errors.
    Note: There must be one or more email messages in the Inbox associated with the Email Service Simulator for the load test functionality to work.

Test an application that uses synchronization in the simulator
    Simulate a desktop connection. See "Simulating a desktop connection" on page 13 for more information.
    Note: If you start the device simulator from a command prompt, specify the /rport=0x4d4e parameter to communicate with the email server simulator.

On the Start menu, click Programs > BlackBerry > Desktop Manager.
    Click the Intellisync tool and configure your synchronization settings as required.
    Click Synchronize Now to test the synchronization.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

let us know if this works

eli
    eli no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    201cfd69

No dice.

I can send messages from the BB fine, but the ESS SMTP server always gives Error 503 "No sender" whenever I try to send a message to the BB from Outlook.

Anyone else seen this? Maybe it's something peculiar to my setup.

mtrautschold no está en línea Stack level 2

You may have already checked this, but are you certain that you have a v4.0.2 BlackBerry Simulator running with 4.0.2 ESS? -- If you have a different version Simulator, e.g. 4.1.x it won't work.

Other things - try the Knowledgebase on blackberry.com here: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...owse&sort=name

Type in "ESS" and search...

Also, one thing that was KILLING me was that my Windows XP firewall was blocking the ESS - to fix this I had to go into Window Firewall > Advanced tab > Restore Defaults (Watch out - it will start asking and blocking everything, so you have to accept again... but I was able to UNBLOCK the ESS and Simulator)!

Hope that helps!
    Martin
    www.blackberrymadesimple.com
    From Beginners to Experts – Learn How to Get MORE out of your BlackBerry!
    Great eBooks, Videos & Training

Ram ji soni no está en línea Stack level 1

hi ,
    I have the near about same but not very same, my problem is this when i click On the Start menu, click Programs > Research In Motion > BlackBerry Java Development Environment 4.0 > ESS, there is no window opens, by which i can select standalone or connected mode, so plz tell me what is the problem and how i can rectify that.

jdbholmes no está en línea Stack level 1
    If the ESS or the MDS will not load open the following and add the following

ESS = C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\ESS\load open in note pad and add the following line set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15

MDS= C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0\MDS\RUN
    set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15