The following will be an ongoing thread with info, sources, guides and links for Blackberry ... Software & Theme Development forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod

Post Blackberry Developer - Getting Started

The following will be an ongoing thread with info, sources, guides and links for Blackberry Software Development:

Getting things started
    ---------- ----------

More to be added...

Content of this thread maintained by twheeler, nutsnbolts and hydn.
    Last edited by hayden; 11-17-2005 at 07:11 PM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod

Post Complete Java Glossary

1 - 9

3G Third-generation (3G) wireless networks will offer faster data transfer rates than current networks. The first generation of wireless (1G) was analog cellular. The second generation (2G) is digital cellular, featuring integrated voice and data communications. So-called 2.5G networks offer incremental speed increases. 3G networks will offer dramatically improved data transfer rates, enabling new wireless applications such as streaming media.

The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) is a global collaboration between six partners: ARIB, CWTS, ETSI, T1, TTA, and TTC. The group aims to develop a globally accepted third-generation mobile system based on GSM.

802.11 is a group of specifications for wireless networks developed by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). 802.11 uses the Ethernet protocol and CSMA/CA (carrier sense multiple access with collision avoidance) for path sharing.

A - C

An Application Programming Interface (API) is a set of classes that you can use in your own application. Sometimes called libraries or modules, APIs enable you to write an application without reinventing common pieces of code. For example, a networking API is something your application can use to make network connections without your ever having to understand the underlying code.

CDC The Connected Device Configuration (CDC) is a specification for a J2ME™ configuration. Conceptually, CDC deals with devices with more memory and processing power than CLDC; it is for devices with an always-on network connection and a minimum of 2 MB of memory available for the Java™ system.

Code-Division Multiple Access (CDMA) is a cellular technology widely used in North America. There are currently three CDMA standards: CDMA One, CDMA2000 and W-CDMA. CDMA technology uses UHF 800Mhz–1.9Ghz frequencies and bandwidth ranges from 115Kbps to 2Mbps.
    CDMA One Also known as IS-95, CDMAOne is a second-generation wireless technology. Supports speeds from 14.4Kbps to 115Kbps.

CDMA2000 Also known as IS-136, CDMA2000 is a third-generation wireless technology. Supports speeds ranging from 144Kbps to 2Mbps.

CDPD Developed by Nortel Networks, Cellular Digital Packet Data (CDPD) is an open standard for supporting wireless Internet access from cellular devices. CDPD also supports Multicast, which allows content providers to efficiently broadcast information to many devices at the same time.

cHTML Compact HTML (cHTML) is a subset of HTML which is designed for small devices. The major features of HTML that are excluded from cHTML are: JPEG image, Table, Image map, Multiple character fonts and styles, Background color and image, Frame and Style sheet.

CLDC The Connected, Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) is a specification for a J2ME configuration. The CLDC is for devices with less than 512 KB of RAM available for the Java system and an intermittent (limited) network connection. It specifies a stripped-down Java virtual machine™1 called the KVM as well as several APIs for fundamental application services. Three packages are minimalist versions of the J2SE™ java.lang,, and java.util packages. A fourth package,, implements the Generic Connection Framework, a generalized API for making network connections.

Configuration The fundamental branches of J2ME are configurations. A configuration is a specification that describes a Java Virtual Machine and some set of APIs that are targeted to a specific class of device.

CVM The Compact Virtual Machine (CVM) is an optimized Java virtual machine (JVM) that is used by the CDC.

D - F

Deck A deck is a collection of one or more WML cards that can be downloaded, to a mobile phone, as a single entity.

EDGE Enhanced Data GSM Environment (EDGE) is a new, faster version of GSM. EDGE is designed to support transfer rates up to 384Kbps and enable the delivery of video and other high-bandwidth applications. EDGE is the result of a joint effort between TDMA operators, vendors and carriers, and the GSM Alliance.

ETSI The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) is a non-profit organization that establishes telecommunications standards for Europe.

Foundation Profile The Foundation Profile is a J2ME profile specification that builds on CDC. It adds additional classes and interfaces to the CDC APIs but does not go so far as to specify user interface APIs, persistent storage or application life cycle. Other J2ME profiles build on the CDC/Foundation combination: for example, the Personal Profile and the RMI Profile both build on the Foundation Profile.

G - I

Generic Connection Framework The Generic Connection Framework (GCF) makes it easy for wireless devices to make network connections. It is part of CLDC and CDC and resides in the package.

GPRS The General Packet Radio System (GPRS) is the next generation of GSM. It will be the basis of 3G networks in Europe and elsewhere.

GSM The Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) is a wireless network system that is widely used in Europe, Asia and Australia. GSM is used at three different frequencies: GSM900 and GSM1800 are used in Europe, Asia and Australia, while GSM1900 is deployed in North America and other parts of the world.

i-appli Sometimes called "Java for i-mode", i-appli is a Java environment based on CLDC. It is used on handsets in NTT DoCoMo's i-mode service. While i-appli is similar to MIDP, it was developed before the MIDP specification was finished, and the two APIs are incompatible.

IDE An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) provides a programming environment as a single application. IDEs typically bundle a compiler, debugger and GUI builder together. Forte™ for Java is Sun's Java IDE.

iDEN The Integrated Dispatch Enhanced Network (iDEN) is a wireless network system developed by Motorola. Various carriers support iDEN networks around the world: Nextel is one of the largest carriers, with networks covering North and South America.

J - L

J2ME Java 2, Micro Edition is a group of specifications and technologies that pertain to Java on small devices. The J2ME moniker covers a wide range of devices, from pagers and mobile telephones through set-top boxes and car navigation systems. The J2ME world is divided into configurations and profiles, specifications that describe a Java environment for a specific class of device.

J2ME WTK TheJ2ME Wireless Toolkit is a set of tools that provides developers with an emulation environment, documentation and examples for developing Java applications for small devices. The J2ME WTK is based on the Connected Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) and Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP) reference implementations, and can be tightly integrated with Forte for Java.

Java Card The Java Card specification allows Java technology to run on smart cards and other small devices. The Java Card API is compatible with formal international standards, such as ISO7816, and industry-specific standards, such as Europay/Master Card/Visa (EMV).
    JavaHQ JavaHQ is the Java platform control center on your Palm OS device.

JCP The Java Community Process (JCP) is an open organization of international Java developers and licensees who develop and revise Java technology specifications, reference implementations and technology compatibility kits through a formal process.

JSR Java Specification Request (JSR) is the actual description of proposed and final specifications for the Java platform. JSRs are reviewed by the JCP and the public before a final release of a specification is made.

KittyHawk KittyHawk is a set of APIs used by LG Telecom on its IBook and p520 devices. KittyHawk is based on CLDC. It is conceptually similar to MIDP, but the two APIs are incompatible.

KJava KJava is an outdated term for J2ME. It comes from an early package of Java software for PalmOS, released at the 2000 JavaOne show. The classes for that release were packaged in the com.sun.kjava package.

kSOAP kSOAP is a SOAP API suitable for the J2ME, based on kXML.

kXML The kXML project provides a small footprint XML parser that can be used with J2ME.

KVM The KVM is a compact Java virtual machine (JVM) that is designed for small devices. It supports a subset of the features of the JVM. For example, the KVM does not support floating-point operations and object finalization. The CLDC specifies use of the KVM. According to folklore, the 'K' in KVM stands for kilobyte, signifying that the KVM runs in kilobytes of memory as opposed to megabytes.

LAN A Local Area Network (LAN) is a group of devices connected with various communications technologies in a small geographic area. Ethernet is the most widely used LAN technology. Communication on a LAN can either be with peer-to-peer devices or client-server devices.

LCDUI LCDUI is a shorthand way of referring to the MIDP user interface APIs, contained in the javax.microedition.lcdui package. Strictly speaking, LCDUI stands for Liquid Crystal Display User Interface. It's a user interface toolkit for small device screens, which are commonly LCD screens.

M - O

MexE The Mobile Execution Environment (MExE) is a specification created by the 3GPP which details an application environment for next-generation mobile devices. MExE consists of a variety of technologies, including WAP, J2ME, CLDC and MIDP.

MIDlet A MIDlet is an application written for MIDP. MIDlet applications are subclasses of the javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet class that is defined by MIDP.

MIDlet suite MIDlets are packaged and distributed as MIDlet suites. A MIDlet suite can contain one or more MIDlets. The MIDlet suite consists of two files–an application descriptor file with a .jad extension and an archive file with a .jar extension. The descriptor lists the archive file name, the names and class names for each MIDlet in the suite, and other information. The archive file contains the MIDlet classes and resource files.

MIDP The Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP) is a specification for a J2ME profile. It is layered on top of CLDC and adds APIs for application life cycle, user interface, networking, and persistent storage.

MIDP-NG The Next Generation MIDP specification is currently under development by the Java Community Process™. Planned improvements include XML parsing and cryptographic support.

Mobitex Mobitex is a packet-switched, narrowband PCS network, designed for wide-area wireless data communications. It was developed in 1984 by Eritel, an Ericsson subsidiary, and there are now over 30 Mobitex networks in operation worldwide.

Obfuscation Obfuscation is a technique used to complicate code. Obfuscation makes code harder to understand when it is de-compiled, but it typically has no effect on the functionality of the code. Obfuscation programs can be used to protect Java programs by making them harder to reverse-engineer.
    OTA Over The Air (OTA) refers to any wireless networking technology.

P - R

PDAP The Personal Digital Assistant Profile (PDAP) is a J2ME profile specification designed for small platforms, such as PalmOS® devices. You can think of PDAs as being larger than mobile phones but smaller than set-top boxes. PDAP is built on top of CLDC and will specify user interface and persistent storage APIs. PDAP is currently being developed using the Java Community ProcessSM (JCPSM).

PDC Personal Digital Cellular (PDC) is a Japanese standard for wireless communications.

PDCP Parallel and Distributed Computing Practices (PDCP) are often used to describe computer systems that are spread over many devices on a network (wired or wireless) where many nodes process data simultaneously.

Personal Profile The Personal Profile is a J2ME profile specification. Layered on the Foundation Profile and CDC, the Personal Profile will be the next generation of PersonalJava technology. The specification is currently in development under the Java Community Process (JCP).

PersonalJava PersonalJava is a Java environment based on the Java virtual machine 1 (JVM) and a set of APIs similar to a JDK™ 1.1 environment. It includes the Touchable Look and Feel (also called Truffle™), a graphic toolkit that is optimized for consumer devices with a touch-sensitive screen. PersonalJava will be included in J2ME in the upcoming Personal Profile, which is built on CDC.

PNG Portable Network Graphics (PNG) is an image format offering lossless compression and storage flexibility. The MIDP specification requires implementations to recognize certain types of PNG images.

POSE Palm OS Emulator (POSE).

PRC Palm Resource Code (PRC) is the file format for Palm OS applications.

Preverification Due to memory and processing power available on a device, the verification process of classes are split into two processes. The first process is the preverification, which is off-device and done using the preverify tool. The second process is verification, which is done on-device.

Provisioning In telecommunications terms, provisioning means to provide telecommunications services to a user. This includes providing all necessary hardware, software, and wiring or transmission devices.

RMI Profile
    The RMI Profile is a J2ME profile specification designed to support Java's Remote Method Invocation (RMI) distributed object system. Devices implementing the RMI Profile will be able to interoperate via RMI with other Java devices, including Java 2, Standard Edition. The RMI Profile is based on the Foundation Profile, which in turn is based on CDC.

RMS The Record Management System (RMS) is a simple record-oriented database that allows a MIDlet to persistently store information and retrieve it later. Different MIDlets can also use the RMS to share data.

SDK A Software Development Kit (SDK) is a set of tools used to develop applications for a particular platform. An SDK typically contains a compiler, linker and debugger. It may also contain libraries and documentation for APIs.

SMS Short Message Service (SMS) is a point-to-point service similar to paging for sending text messages of up to 160 characters to mobile phones.

SOAP The Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) is an XML-based protocol that allows objects of any type to communicate in a distributed environment. SOAP is used in developing Web services.

T - V

T9 T9 is a text input method for mobile phones and other small devices. It replaces the "multi-tap" input method by guessing the word that you are trying to enter. T9 may be embedded in a device by the manufacturer. Note that even if the device supports T9, the Java implementation may or may not use it. Check your documentation for details.

UDDI Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI) is an XML-based standard for describing, publishing and finding Web services. UDDI is a specification for a distributed registry of Web services.

UMTS Developed by Nortel Networks, Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service (UMTS) is a standard that will provide cellular users a consistent set of technologies no matter where they are located worldwide. UMTS utilizes W-CDMA technology.

W - Z

WAE The Wireless Application Environment (WAE) provides an application framework for small devices. WAE leverages other technologies, such as WAP, WTP and WSP.

WAP Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) is a protocol for transmitting data between servers and clients (usually small wireless devices like mobile phones). WAP is analogous to HTTP on the World Wide Web. Many mobile phones include WAP browser software to allow users access to Internet WAP sites.

WAP Gateway A WAP Gateway acts as a bridge allowing WAP devices to communicate with other networks (namely the Internet).

W-CDMA Wideband Code-Division Multiple Access (W-CDMA), also known as IMT-2000, is a third-generation wireless technology. Supports speeds up to 384Kbps on a wide-area network, or 2Mbps locally.

WDP Wireless Datagram Protocol (WDP) works as the transport layer of WAP. WDP processes datagrams from upper layers to formats required by different physical datapaths (bearers) that may be, for example, GSM, SMS or CDMA Packet Data. WDP is adapted to the bearers available in the device, so upper layers don't need to care about the physical level.

WML The Wireless Markup Language (WML) is a simple language used to create applications for small wireless devices like mobile phones. WML is analogous to HTML on the World Wide Web.

WMLScript WMLScript is a subset of the JavaScript scripting language, designed as part of the WAP standard to provide a convenient mechanism to access mobile phones' peripheral functions.

WSP Wireless Session Protocol (WSP) implements session services of WAP. Sessions can be connection-oriented and connectionless and they may be suspended and resumed at will.

WTLS Wireless Transport Layer Security protocol (WTLS) does all cryptography-oriented features of WAP. WTLS handles encryption/decryption, user authentication and data integrity. WTLS is based on the fixed network Transport Layer Security protocol (TLS), formerly known as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

WTP Wireless Transaction Protocol (WTP) is WAP's transaction protocol that works between the session protocol WSP and security protocol WTLS. WTP chops data packets into lower-level datagrams and concatenates received datagrams into useful data. WTP also keeps track of received and sent packets and does re-transmissions and acknowledgment sending when needed.

nremtb no está en línea Stack level 3

re: Blackberry Developer - Getting Started

should i be able to write a basic program if i read all these your opinion?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I just had an idea come to mind. I had Scrabble on my Pocket PC's and was wondering if there was a way to create one for BlackBerry devices. Problem is I don't know much about developing programs.

marosezilla no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB ( bookmarking this pg. thanks for the short but simple explanations!