Hello, I am trying to write my first BlackBerry program and am having problems. I ... Software & Theme Development forum

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

beginner programming

Advertisement

Hello,

I am trying to write my first BlackBerry program and am having problems. I am trying to run the HelloWorld sample code from the JDE in the BlackBerry 9000 Simulator.

I have successfully installed the BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0. I have downloaded the HelloWorld sample code (finished version) from the BlackBerry developer web site.

I open the JDE and load the helloworld.jdw file. I then try to run the code by selecting "Debug -> Go" from the menu. I get the following error message:

I/O Error: Cannot run program "javac": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
    Error while building project

Any ideas on how to proceed?

squished

OK, I got that problem figured out. It was a missing string in the Windows PATH setting. I had to add the java bin subdirectory to the PATH setting.

Now that it compiles, the program doesn't actually run on the simulator. When I try to run the program, the Device Simulator starts up but I see no evidence of the HelloWorld program. So I select "Debug - Go" from the menu. The BlackBerry 9000 Simulator starts up, but I can't find the program.

squished

OK, got that one figured out. The application ended up in the "Download" folder.

squished

New question: How do I specify the name of the build output files? For example, currently the program outputs the file helloworld.jar when I execute a build. However, i would like the output file name to be newapplication.jar. How would I set this output name? I have changed the project file (.jdp) and the workspace file (.jdw) to the new name (newapplication.jpd), but the output file is still helloworld.

thanks,
    squished

OK, finally found it.

* In the Workspace window, right click the project and select "Properties..."
    * Select the "Build" tab
    * The "Output file name:" field specifies the build output file name

squished

I am having trouble with the simulator. I have downloaded the CityInfo example application from RIM and am trying it out on the simulator. The simulator runs the CityInfo program just fine. However, two copies of the HelloWorld application are still left over in the simulator.

Any ideas on how to remove the old copies of the HelloWorld application from the simulator?

I have tried looking under "Projects - Set Active Projects..." in the BlackBerry JDE, but it only shows the cityinfo application in that window.

squished

I have also tried all three options under "File - Erase Simulator File", but that doesn't solve the problem.

thanks,
    squished

After a bit of fiddling around, I seemed to have resolved the issue. I had to shut down the JDE, then run the Simulator. In the Simulator, I deleted the old applications within the Simulator as if deleting from a device (via the device menu). It didn't seem to work the first time I did it, but that might have been because the JDE was running in the background.

This development environment sure isn't very intuitive.

squished