Okay, this is going to be for all those people out there who edit alx ... Software & Theme Development forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

BB Tech: How Can I Spoof A Device?

Advertisement

Okay, this is going to be for all those people out there who edit alx files and all that good stuff...

Oh, and this may be in the wrong forum, so move if necessary.

Ok, here's what I am thinking guys. There has to be a way to do this, but not exactly sure how.

I have been glancing through the Blackberry.alx file. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how I could spoof an O.S. to actually believe that it is running on a BB Model that it is not?

Here is where I came up with this idea from. I went and downloaded Sona Mobile on a 7290. It downloads, but when you go to try and pull video feeds it says this device is not supported.

Now since the 7130 and the 8700 have the intel chips, this may be a little bit harder to do with an older device onto one those, but who thinks we can come up with a way to maybe make a 7290 to believe that it is actually an 8700? Does that make any sense? Or even though it may not be possible with that, is there some way to make a 7290 believe that it is a 7105 and run the O.S. from a 7105?

What do you think guys. Any ideas?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: BB Tech: How Can I Spoof A Device?

Hell, while we are at it, lets try and take it one step further...

When your device boots up, if you are on TMobile you get the Tmobile symbol, cingular;cingular, etc etc.

Lets also discuss ideas on how that might be able to be changed too.

I think it would be sweet to have the O2 symbol or Cingular symbol pop up.

Obviously you can't change the service provider name on the screen itself when the device is active, because if I am not mistaken that is determined by the SIM card.

However, the boot up symbol can't be. I am saying that because when i take the SIM out of a device, boot it up, the same TMobile symbol appears.

Do you think this would be possible? Or is this something that is programmed into the actual hardware of the device itself?

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

The device type is hard coded in to the device. For example, your device says it's a Rim8700 - a standard 8700. So there's no way to convince the device it's anything other than what it says on the box.

The start up screen is also built in to the device. If you take the battery out of your device you'll see it says PRD-09854-018 on the label where the PIN is. That's a TMo 8700g US Motion Black. That is, an 8700g that's been branded with TMo stuff.

racinrocker no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~lol. N8 you have to much time on your hands. But still a pretty idea

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok...another hypothetical question:

Say you want to swap internals of a 7105 into a 7290. Meaning taking the entire "motherboard" or whatever you want to call it out of the 7105 and put it into a 7290...What issues may arise?

Obviously the difference in size, you would have to do some customization to keep the board in place, but what about synching up the keyboards some type from SureType to Full Keyboard? Or is this only going to be possible by doing it from one full qwerty to another? Or not even a 7105, say you wanted to replace the internals of an 8700 into a 72 series. The screens I don't believe would have much problem getting connected to the board itself. Of course the quality would be the same as the screen on the 7290 now...

Just hypothetically speaking....

Am I trying this now? No.
    If I get my hands on extra devices may I try it? Probably.
    Why? Just for the hell of it.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by racinrocker
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~lol. N8 you have to much time on your hands. But still a pretty idea
    Yes I do...And sometimes I think it's flashbacks from when I used to "smoke" coming back thinking "Hey, I wonder what would happen if". I swear, if I still smoked, give me 4 Blackberries and a week and you would have a device that probably didn't work, but would sound like a badass device if it did.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Your 7290/7105 experiment won't work at all. Apart from the obvious physical differences, they have different ROMs, Display drivers and various connectors.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well connectors are kind of obvious, but what exactly is going to be connected?

Screen, keypad, speaker, trackwheel and back key? What else am I missing?

Would the ROM really make a difference since you are going to be switching all of the internals anyway?

I am trying to look at the internal photos of the 7290 (can't find one of the 7105 and don't have the tool yet to take the back off of the 7290) but none of those pictures are really taken at an angle that would benifit.

PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~lol. Someone send n8 some smoke then the rest of us can donate money into a pool to buy n8 4 used 7290's

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Hah...don't do that anymore though :cry:

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    I went and downloaded Sona Mobile on a 7290. It downloads, but when you go to try and pull video feeds it says this device is not supported.
    I tried this also and it didn't even run on my 7105t.

PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    I tried this also and it didn't even run on my 7105t.
    Well another option may be to find and hire a hacker to go into their website and edit it so that it doesn't search to see what kind of device you are using....

I AM KIDDING!

I don't condone trying to hack a website...

PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thats a good thing. Isn't it?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The reason the media player isn't supported is that the 7290 doesn't have the chipset that it's designed for. Even if you manage to spoof the OS, the chipset won't support the application.

Keep trying funky things though, it's the only way to learn.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles