Hi Folks, I don't know if you answer this type of question in your forums, ... Software & Theme Development forum

bbCincinnati no está en línea Stack level 1

BB JDE - Can't install "Hello World" example via BB Desktop Mgr / App Loader.

Advertisement

Hi Folks,

I don't know if you answer this type of question in your forums, but much thanks in advance if you can help. Here goes...

Model: 8700c
    v4.1.0.194
    JDE: 4.2.1.40
    Installation method: Blackberry Desktop Manager / Application Loader
    BB experience: NEWBIE

I'm trying to get started with development for Blackberries. I've downloaded the JDE and some sample applications (namely "Hello World") from RIM's website. The application runs fine from the JDE, but it doesn't work when I try to run it on the actual device. In fact it messes up* my whole device when I try to run it. I've got the device un-"messed up" but each time I try to reload it, it "messes up" the device again.

I haven't successfully installed any JDE-built applications to the actual device, so I'm sure I'm just missing a step or something like that.

I've tried to follow the Distribution instructions in the Blackberry Development Guide. Here's what I'm doing:

1) Download the HelloWorld.zip and unzip it.
    2) Open the JDE, and then open the workspace Helloworld.jdw.
    [The project Helloworld.jdp opens automatically].
    3) Open the Helloworld.java
    4) Request Signatures (under Build menu) [even though no signatures are really needed for this app].
    5) Project | Generate ALX file.

At this point, I can "Build All and Run" under the "Build" menu. Application works nice- and-purdy-like in the simulator which automatically opens from the JDE. So I try to install it on the device...

6) Connect the device via the USB cable.
    7) Open the BB Desktop Manager, and then the Application Loader inside.
    8) "Welcome to the Application Loader Wizard". Next.
    9) Check the "Detect Communication Port" checkbox, and it auto detects the port. Next
    10) "Device Application Selection" screen shows everything checked except for my new "Helloworld" app. I click the "Add" button and the "Open" dialog box shows my new Helloworld.ALX. I select it and then click next.
    11) "Completing the Application Loader Wizard" form appears and tells me that the "Hello World" application will be installed or updated. I click finish.
    12) The Application Loader goes through a series of check marks and progress bars, eventually ending with a new form: "The loading operation was successful" - "Your device's software has been updated successfully". I click close.
    13) Now the screen on my Blackberry device displays a spinning hourglass, and blinks on and off for about 2 minutes. But eventually it does indeed appear to load the application on the actual device and stops the spinning and blinking.
    14) So now I have my pretty new Helloworld application sitting under the Applications "folder" on my blackberry. The blackberry seems to be working fine at this point.
    15) But when I thumb-wheel to the application and click it to start it, the blackberry goes to the "messed up" state (Spinning hourglass with a blinking on and off screen). It seems to stay in the messed up state indefinitely, even over-night. Until I reload the OS via the Desktop manager.

So that's my problem. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something really stupid and obvious. Maybe skipping an important step, or something like that. Can anyone help me out here? Again, much thanks and salutations in advance if you can.

Mike

FOOT NOTES:
    -------------
    * When I say "messes up", I mean that the dreaded spinning hourglass appears, along with the screen blinking on and off. This "messed up" state can not be fixed by a soft reset nor a hard reset, but by reloading everything EXCEPT the "Hello World" application via the BB Desktop Manager / Application Loader. Sometimes it seems to require downloading and reloading the OS to fix it.
    Last edited by bbCincinnati; 04-24-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: BB JDE - Can't install "Hello World" example via BB Desktop Mgr / App Loader.

Well, we can try to answer this type of question, I am not one that has the expertise to do so but there are members that can.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

onetwothree no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB JDE - Can't install "Hello World" example via BB Desktop Mgr / App Loader.

I found this thread while looking for the answer to the same question. I wrote my first MIDlet today, and when I installed it on my BB 8700c via the Desktop Manager, the device went into a strange perpetual reset. I had used the ALX file that the JDE generated for me. Everything was very simple and straightforward.

I eventually had to reinstall the BB OS (with the battery out to keep it from resetting constantly!) and restore all my data. I then tried again with the exact same result. Because of the painful wipe-reinstall-restore cycle, I'd really like to collect some information before trying again!

The tiny app I wrote is not much more than a "Hello World" type of thing, and it ran fine under the JDE's emulator. The moment I put it on my blackberry the whole device becomes unusable, though. google didn't immediately turn up any suggestions as to why this would happen, so I'm very confused.

[EDIT: I want to add that I have successfully installed 3rd party packages via the Desktop Manager and .ALX/.COD files, so I know that this procedure _can_ work for my combination of hardware and software.... even though I get no error message from the blackberry, it would appear that the JDE has produced a file that looks corrupt to it (despite working fine in the emulator?)]
    Last edited by onetwothree; 04-29-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Ok, I eventually discovered that I have to use JDE 4.1 with an 8700 phone. 4.2 will not work. I had no idea that the JDE's were synchronized to the OS versions... I rather assumed 4.2 was simply a newer and better JDE. I guess I just got a glimpse of how hard it would be to deploy a single application... I guess I'd have to compile it with several JDE versions, and match those up to blackberrys that want to download my app... doesn't sound like fun.

Oh well, I'm just glad things are working for me! :-)

Hi OneTwoThree,

Thanks for your reply. You're dead on! My 8700 is running on "OS" 4.1, so I had to download the JDE 4.1 and use it instead of the JDE 4.2. Works fine now. (BTW - the JDE 3.7, and JDE 4.0 also work fine, just not the JDE 4.2) I found an "article" in BlackBerry's knowledge base titled: "What Is - Appropriate version of the BlackBerry JDE". (I'd copy and paste the URL, but PinStack's anti-spam policy won't allow me to). Anyway, thanks for your help!

bbCincinnati

I still don't understand why it has to be this way. Something's not right about it. For instance, why does the 4.2 JDE even have an 8700 emulator on it (or even older models for that matter), if it can't be used to make deployable apps for that device? RIM needs to read up on the concept of "cross-compiling".... I don't want to rebuild the same project with multiple IDEs just to support different blackberry OS levels.

I'm hoping that I'll be ok if I build the app with JDE 4.1, then any future "OS"s (4.2, etc). However, I agree; it does seem like there is something wrong with the scenario. It does seem strange to not be able to build 4.1 apps with JDE 4.2.