Results 1 to 10 of 10

When you embark on a procedure that will change blackberry.alx, do one of two things: ... Software & Theme Development forum

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Back up your blackberry.alx

    Advertisement



    When you embark on a procedure that will change blackberry.alx, do one of two things: Copy blackberry.alx to a different directory (Note: Copy, not cut) on your hard drive (if you're going to edit it), or change it's name to blackberry.not (if you're going to replace it), effectively making a backup of the existing file. Yesterday I installed the Zen theme on my 7105t from this thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...zen_theme.html and although the install worked perfectly I really didn't care for the look/feel of the new theme(s) and decided to uninstall. It was as easy as deleting the .cod file that went into the Java directory, and then deleting the blackberry.alx file that came with the new theme and renaming my blackberry.not back to blackberry.alx. Saves a lot of time and heartache if you want to back out of something or have made a mistake!

  2. #2
    Amigotek's Avatar
    Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Actually Mark, you could have removed it from the App loader without having to do any modifications. The files would still be on your computer but it would remove the theme from your phone.

    Zo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    Actually Mark, you could have removed it from the App loader without having to do any modifications. The files would still be on your computer but it would remove the theme from your phone.

    Zo
    The zen theme (as loaded in the above link) doesn't appear in the Application Loader, like the Plazmic themes would (or do). It's just like the vendor themes or the "Insight" themes, etc., that are in the core applications. If we were talking about a Plazmic theme and didn't like it, then your suggestion would be correct. Anyway, my point is to always backup the blackberry.alx file before you mess with it.

  4. #4
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    The zen theme (as loaded in the above link) doesn't appear in the Application Loader, like the Plazmic themes would (or do). It's just like the vendor themes or the "Insight" themes, etc., that are in the core applications. If we were talking about a Plazmic theme and didn't like it, then your suggestion would be correct. Anyway, my point is to always backup the blackberry.alx file before you mess with it.
    Through your method would you be able to remove the built in vendor themes completly? and if so, shouldn't you be able to remove a bunch of other preloaded data this way as well?

  5. #5
    bafil's Avatar
    bafil no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    246de862
    Posts
    169

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

    Hi all I have a question for everyone of you experts out there.

    There is a problem with the 8100 pearl where it drops calls on the newer OS's. There have been a few posts that concern this. Well I have this problem and its proven to be frustrating and so far narrowed down to t-mobile pearls and just a few so far.

    Anyways my question is could this help solve our dropped call problem? What exactly does this blackberry.alx file do?

  6. #6
    Amigotek's Avatar
    Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Didn't realize that on the themes. I only have 6 installed on my 8700 and only use three of them with the Vodafone Today being my favorite.

    Zo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    Through your method would you be able to remove the built in vendor themes completly? and if so, shouldn't you be able to remove a bunch of other preloaded data this way as well?
    No, I don't think so. It would be more appropriate to say that this restores. It would only remove something that blackberry.alx was altered to accept, such as the zen theme in the above link. There was some mention in that thread that an individual that did not like the new zen theme on their 71xx handheld (I think because it slowed the BB down) and they were having difficulty removing the theme. It occured to me that if they had simply made a backup of the blackberry.alx file (by changing the extension to .not), all they would need to do is replace the "new" alx file with the backup, attach the handheld to the computer, start DM and it's un-installed. (+ removing the .cod file from the java directory --)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Anyways my question is could this help solve our dropped call problem?
    No, I think they're unrelated issues.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    Didn't realize that on the themes. I only have 6 installed on my 8700 and only use three of them with the Vodafone Today being my favorite.
    My favorite when I had the 8700 was the Verizon theme! Even though I use T-Mobile. I also liked the Zen, which is why I installed it on my 7105 -- but it's not the same on the 71xx as it is on the 8700g. I used Plazmic to make a family theme, with pictures of my wife/3 kids/3 grandkids as the icons, backgrounds, etc., and that is my fave right now.

  10. #10
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: Back up your blackberry.alx

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    My favorite when I had the 8700 was the Verizon theme! Even though I use T-Mobile. I also liked the Zen, which is why I installed it on my 7105 -- but it's not the same on the 71xx as it is on the 8700g. I used Plazmic to make a family theme, with pictures of my wife/3 kids/3 grandkids as the icons, backgrounds, etc., and that is my fave right now.
    I made my own as well and that's the one I constantly use.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •