Does anyone know what happened to this? I thought that this was going to be ... Software & Theme Development forum

b3beater no está en línea Stack level 1

8700 w/ GPS

Advertisement

Does anyone know what happened to this? I thought that this was going to be one of the new features of the line. For some reason when I try to search on this site it brings me up a blank page so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed.

barjohn no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: 8700 w/ GPS

Since it supports a com port over Bluetooth, it may be possible to link a Bluetooth GPS puck however, I haven't seen any one offering a driver nor have I seen anyone offering navigation software. Where to store the maps would be another problem with no storage card capability.
    John

For Reviews on Smartphones and Bluetooth Headsets see BarJohn Reviews IT at:
    http://www.barjohn.com

b3beater no está en línea Stack level 1

I was thinking more in terms of GPS if it could pinpoint where you are and then provide directions via some web app (map quest... etc.). This way there would be no storge issue.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Perhaps this will be something we will see if the 8700 ever comes to Nextel/Sprint. I hope so, at least.

barjohn no está en línea Stack level 2

Here is a technology that may make it available to any BlackBerry. As long as you authorized it, it would pinpoint your position on Google maps and then you could seek directions from that location to wherever you wanted to go.

http://cellphones.engadget.com/2006/...cellphone-spy/
    John

For Reviews on Smartphones and Bluetooth Headsets see BarJohn Reviews IT at:
    http://www.barjohn.com

mfalge no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,

Just got my first 8700g and really like it! Already trying to max it out.

Has anyone tried to use this model with a GPS Bluetooth Receiver and one of the free packages (Mobile GMaps or HelloWorld GPS Map Browser) that will work with Google Maps? I was thinking about trying out the OnCourse SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver.

Thanks!
    Mark

donmitchell no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31892F51

I'm also looking for a bluetooth GPS receiver for my 8700 that I could store in my car the majority of the time, anyone know which work better than others? If I have to, I will order every single receiver and keep returning them until I'm satisfied! :-)
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I don't know if TeleNav is compatible with the 8700 series yet but I know it will work with all 7100 series. Be prepared to spend a small fortune though

donmitchell no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31892F51

That's ok...I'm gettin my $150 and $50 rebates for the 8700 soon...just need to see which bluetooth GPS receivers work best (or work at all) with the 8700 and I can't seem to find a list anywhere about it...
    -Don

a_troopnoy no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~