+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by captain_tinker It kind of bugs me when people start comparing not only ... Smartphone News forum

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by captain_tinker View Post
    It kind of bugs me when people start comparing not only the Torch, but any BB to Androids, and iPhones etc. Not sure that the comparisons based solely on specs is really justified. Think about it, yes, it took however long for this to come to market. Why? Sounds like it's because they did their homework, wanted to make sure it's a good solid phone, and with RIM's reputation of them being a good solid business phone, they took their time and were serious about it. When you think about the target market for these phones, it's major market is business users, who just need a phone to make calls, and to get emails with. Sometimes to join an online meeting, or make appointments on the calendar. They want it to be a solid phone, and have it secure. It is. That's that. Can you play with it? Sure. Is that it's main function? No. So, what's the big deal if it has a 480x360 resolution, or has less than a ghz processor? For me, even though I find Androids, and iPhones fascinating pieces of technology, they just don't fit my needs as a consumer, and I prefer the Blackberry interface to the others. For some people these other phones do fit their needs, and they prefer the interfaces of the other phones, so they gravitate to those, unfortunately making the mistake of saying "this phone is better than that one." It's not. It just fills your needs better than the others do. Nothing wrong with that. So let's just get over this stupid argument over who is better, and if RIM is going to be able to survive or not with this phone. One phone model isn't going to kill a company. They have such a large range of phones that meets so many different types of needs and desires, that there really is no reason to say such a thing.

Good to see there's atleast one of you BB guys left! I like your stance on the subject, and I agree with you about the "best smartphone" part. My 1st smartphone was a BB and I thought I would never leave. I still have a soft spot for them. Probably all of us here do, and are just concerned. I dont want to see RIM fall off like Palm. Of course, the Blackberry's strength is in the corporate demographic, but RIM must be careful not to get too comfy there. Competitors, namely Android, will be looking for a piece of that market soon as well. Trust me, they have some real seriously innovative devices in the works for the corporate user, and probably at a low price point. RIM will have to release more powerful hardware and software to compete. No getting around that. I hope someone up at RIM has a clue! I'd love to be able to purchase a BB again one day. Preferably Android powered, on serious hardware, with a BB business UI overlay. That would be awesome!

I do believe the Torch is a baby step in the right direction. But they've got major work to do.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_tinker View Post
    It kind of bugs me when people start comparing not only the Torch, but any BB to Androids, and iPhones etc. Not sure that the comparisons based solely on specs is really justified. Think about it, yes, it took however long for this to come to market. Why? Sounds like it's because they did their homework, wanted to make sure it's a good solid phone, and with RIM's reputation of them being a good solid business phone, they took their time and were serious about it. When you think about the target market for these phones, it's major market is business users, who just need a phone to make calls, and to get emails with. Sometimes to join an online meeting, or make appointments on the calendar. They want it to be a solid phone, and have it secure. It is. That's that. Can you play with it? Sure. Is that it's main function? No. So, what's the big deal if it has a 480x360 resolution, or has less than a ghz processor? For me, even though I find Androids, and iPhones fascinating pieces of technology, they just don't fit my needs as a consumer, and I prefer the Blackberry interface to the others. For some people these other phones do fit their needs, and they prefer the interfaces of the other phones, so they gravitate to those, unfortunately making the mistake of saying "this phone is better than that one." It's not. It just fills your needs better than the others do. Nothing wrong with that. So let's just get over this stupid argument over who is better, and if RIM is going to be able to survive or not with this phone. One phone model isn't going to kill a company. They have such a large range of phones that meets so many different types of needs and desires, that there really is no reason to say such a thing.

I agree with you, and must agree with BMay to a point as well. Each person has a device that fits them better than others. I started out with BB and loved it! As each model rolled out I had to have it thinking it would satisfy my needs better than the previous. Sadly BB became stale...old and repetitive. I switched to iphones and androids because the more modern UI took me in. However, once the Torch came out it grabbed my attention so hard that I knew there was no other phone for me. Updated form factor, somewhat updated UI, and finally a better camera. I will be keeping this phone for some time.

However, although there will always be the few of us that love BB for what they are, that does not pay the bills. If they can't keep up with Apple of Android sales, and more and more people make the jump, they won't have time to develop the UI to remain in the market. I love them, but sales drive the world.

captain_tinker no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hmm, I didn't think my post actually posted earlier today. I was at work, and it looked like it it didn't take. Owell. That's good that it did. In any case, I've got no animosity at all towards other smartphone OS's and hardware, with one exception. I could never stand my old HP iPAQ 910c, had so many terrible hardware problems that they just refused to address, despite the fact that they knew about them, and admitted them. Owell, again we all have the freedom to choose what we use, and that's wonderful! (except when your work forces you to use an iPAQ, when you are a BB man!) I have never liked Windows mobile very much, though I haven't seen or used the new Windows phone 7 yet, so I can't comment on that. But yeah, I have lots of friends who are huge Apple and iPhone, iPod, iPad fans, some of them are major fanboys too... (you guys know who you are...) ;-) I've got some buddies who are hugely devoted to their Android and Palm phones. No worries. They all use what they want, and they are happy with them. I'm still not convinced that RIM is in any trouble at all. Not when where I work now, my job is to configure all of the company Blackberries, put them onto the BES, and then send them out to the users. This company has users in every city of every state in the country and several other countries too, and litterally thousands of BB's come through my office. And this is just one office among many other offices like mine around the world, and this is just the one company. How many other companies are out there that do this too? Frankly with that much of a market share, I think they are going to do just fine. To add in all the consumer marketshare they have too, well I think that's probably just gravy! I don't know many companies out there that allow other types of smartphones just yet. Sure maybe in the future others will catch up, and be able to compete, but isn't that what it's all about? Competition? Competition makes the world go round, makes innovation happen, makes it necessary to stay alive. So yeah, just don't discount them because you don't see it yet. We don't all work at RIM. (that would be fun!)
    Last edited by captain_tinker; 08-19-2010 at 09:42 PM.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Sorry Rat, I was agreeing with the ATT fugly remark.

I too am ready to get a new theme. Watching the TB site daily.

If interested I posted a Torch review HERE

Cmac no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well I have to tell you guys I've had Blackberry, Android and iPhone. I keep coming back to a RIM device. I hope RIM doesn't lose out because they don't have all of the bells and whistles as the textbook "smartphone." I think think they took a step in the right direction to get a device that provides a touch screen and hard keyboard. I've been using the Torch for about 4 days and the more I use it I'm starting to really enjoy it.

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
    Well I have to tell you guys I've had Blackberry, Android and iPhone. I keep coming back to a RIM device. I hope RIM doesn't lose out because they don't have all of the bells and whistles as the textbook "smartphone." I think think they took a step in the right direction to get a device that provides a touch screen and hard keyboard. I've been using the Torch for about 4 days and the more I use it I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Agreed!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I mostly agree with you guys about BB. My 1st smart phone, and 2nd and 3d, etc. were all Blackberrys. I have a fondness for Blackberry. I don't think there's an easier phone to use either - it's "friendly" and fairly intuitive as to how to maneuver you way through the features. I just switched to the Incredible a couple of weeks ago and I think I'm gonna keep it. It was a little tough to make the transition - I'm still making it - but the thing is SO FAST it's hard to give up. Maybe the RIM will get it together - I hope so. As rdills suggested in a previous post:
    I'd love to be able to purchase a BB again one day. Preferably Android powered, on serious hardware, with a BB business UI overlay. That would be awesome!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

AgentMissa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    310986F5
    that stinks we can't make themes!

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Read somewhere today that TB for Torch is due by DevCON, we will see, End of Sept is a long time to wait . . . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Drasadex no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have seen the Torch, and it looks pretty cool. I plan to get it on October 20. (Since that's my upgrade date)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123