+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...a-market-trial... Smartphone News forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Article: AT&T handing out free 3G MicroCells as a market trial

Advertisement

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Received a letter about this from ATT. But it seemed you had to renew 2 year contract. I didn't action yet. Waiting on the Samsung captivate haha

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    That doesn't seem right to me that they would make you up your contract if they cant provide decent coverage in your area. I would definitely argue that point with them and get one without strings attached as srl7741 has.

calibur no está en línea Stack level 3
    hmm. renew your contract for another 2 years? they should add a phone of our choice to that for a bigger discount than already offered.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Guess I jumped the gun and bought one at a retail store to quickly. I'm glad I did, I had no service at home before and the 3G microcell works great, but man, it would have been great to get it for free!

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I did a writeup on these a few months back and for a lot of people, they are a great option. This model still uses your wi-fi connection to obtain the signal, correct? If so, I'm glad to see that AT&T dropped the ridiculous $200 price tag for the device, in addition to other charges since they are piggy-backing off of your internet service.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    It uses your internet connection but it's hard wired. Ethernet cable is supplied along with the standard wall plugin.

I'm only on day 2 but so far I'm glad I was able to get one. My signal around the house has never been better.
    I remember your original post on the appliance and I've still not changed my opinion from that time. If AT&T had not softened their stance on the cost it still would not be acceptable.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I've heard that these things are absolutely great.

With the way ATT's 3G is, i am shocked they didn't start handing them out for free to everyone who purchased a 3G phone.

As a side thing, I like the way Tmobile does the UMA thing. That's very smart. I wish more carriers did it that way rather than making you be dependent on equipment.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    So is this being handed out only to iPhone users?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Yo man. How come I didn't get one of these shenanigans? I just upgraded too. Ima call these aholios

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1
    Hey all, just my $.02 -- Instead of all these 'Fembot cells' why not just have manufacturers put UMA in ALL wi-fi devices? T-mobile has done it for years, albeit with some handoff issues dependant on what OS your BB was running on. Some non-BB handsets haven't had any problems.
    I think the carriers bashing FASTEST THIS, LARGEST COVERAGE etc. havent looked at the big picture and forgot about the user. Why limit your coverage to where your 'femtocell' is, wi-fi is abundant - heck even podunk northeastern Pennsylvania has several cities that have city wide wifi availiable.
    Withe UMA - your device would be full coverage in ANY wifi area.

Before the bashing, yes, I have considered the effect of multiusers on the free wifi as well, but i'd wager dollars to donuts all these free wi-fi clouds out there are underutilized by 50% or more.

What are your thoughts......

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    ok heres a question, on UMA you had control of who could access your AP. on these things, are you able to restrict who can connect to them?

drjman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C49B7
    That effin' pisses me off--as a "High Churn" customer (I saw this designation accidentally on my account in the store once). Just paid $150 for this hunka plastic. Jury's still out on works:worth-it ratio.

+ Reply to Thread