+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...dbye-Unlimited... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Article: AT&T Announces New Data Plans Goodbye Unlimited

Advertisement

Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    VW started this mess and now ATT is following suit! What a disaster!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    So much to digest, I think remaining with my current plan is best.
    Being Grandfathered in may be good over the long haul.

Not sure, I'm going to spend some time reading over their new information.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I know that for me, if VZW's offering ends up being the same, switching would be disastrous for my wallet! I wonder if all US carriers will follow suit, or if T-Mo and Sprint will keep the unlimited and gain the customers that find these new plans inadequate.....

I am still using my Alltel smartphone plan for mine and my son's Droids(cheaper than VZW).....I bet anything that if I want to buy a new phone down the line that I will be forced to switch.....I'm trying to decide if I should start learning to curb my data usage now or enjoy my unlimited and consume every byte I possibly can until forced to change.....
    Last edited by azstar; 06-02-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added more
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    It certainly is becoming more important to know your habits and plan out how much data you may or may not need each month.

I've never needed Tethering really b/c I'm always within reach of WiFi or 3G and so switching over to allow Tethering may hurt me more b/c I would need to switch plans leaving my current unlimited one behind.

I've never been impressed with Tethering speeds anyway.
    Last edited by srl7741; 06-03-2010 at 01:59 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I'm for the grandfathered in thing. I think most of us that do get grandfathered in it will be cheaper in the long run to just by a phone outright rather than the upgrade price.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Wow. So in an age where data usage is increasing and data intensive devices and applications are constantly being pushed to market, carriers are deciding to get stingy with the data allotments. I seriously do not see T-Mo going this route as they only a few months ago introduced their new pricing structure and for that I am very grateful.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Hey everyone, I'm in Toronto, Canada and we have been getting raped for years by data plans. Definitely the worst in a first world country.
    Join the club!!!!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Re: grandfathered on unlimited plan ~ according to Gizmodo article on this: "If you already have an unlimited smartphone data plan and you renew your contract after June 7, as long as you don't change your plan, you can keep on keepin' on with your unlimited plan. In other words, you can get a new smartphone, but keep the same plan—then you're grandfathered in with unlimited data."

I'm thinking does this apply if going from BB to another device? - iPhone, etc.

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    That's a good point. I don't think it will because they will find a way to say that you can't do it. But I'm sure there is a way for someone to get them to keep there old plan.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    my dad can finally use the 3GS I bought him now because he refuses to pay the 30 dollar unlimited data! at the same time I will continue my unlimited data although I rarely ever come near the 2gb usage with the new plans I would rather pay for more than I need and not get screwed over with outrageous fees than paying almost as much and getting way less usage.

three3peat no está en línea Stack level 3
    Heres some more and when new Iphone is coming

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37467137...ess/?GT1=43001

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Ugghh. Opposite direction of where things should go. Solution is unlimited TMO on LTE

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is a pretty good plain and simple way to look at the changes AT&T has made.

Daring Fireball Link:

Good: The big plan, “DataPro”, now costs $25/month and gives you 2 GB per month. That’s $5 cheaper than the previous “unlimited” plan, and, according to AT&T, 98 percent of their current smartphone customers use less than 2 GB per month. Almost all current iPhone users should save some money, even if just $5 per month. (I use about 500 MB per month, on average, and the most I’ve used in the past year is 1 GB.)

Good: The bandwidth overage fee for DataPro is a reasonable $10 for each extra gigabyte. Verizon and Sprint charge around $50 per extra gigabyte in overage fees. If you use more than 2 GB per month, you deserve to pay more than the rest of us who do not. Why is this hard to understand?

Good: These plans are for all smartphones. No more discrepancies between what’s allowed for BlackBerrys or Android phones (e.g. tethering) and what’s allowed for the iPhone.

Good: $15/month for the 200 MB/month “DataPlus” plan is a great starting price, and AT&T claims that 65 percent of their smartphone users use less than that. I thoroughly doubt that 65 percent of their iPhone users use less than that, but I’ll bet many do.

Bad: The overage charges for that DataPlus plan are shitty. They get charged more — $15 — for another measly 200 MB. That’s usurious. For $15, they should get an entire extra gigabyte.

Bad: Tethering is finally going to be supported — a year after it was supported on numerous other iPhone carriers around the world. But tethering costs $20/month and you don’t get any extra bandwidth at all. If you don’t get extra bandwidth, what are you paying for? It’s one thing to charge extra for tethering on an “unlimited” data plan, but it’s outrageous to charge $20 when the bandwidth is already capped. They should just include tethering support at no additional charge in the DataPro plan. (That’s what Rogers does in Canada, after running a six-month experiment to see how it worked out.)

Bad: Why did they change the plans for the iPad so soon after it was announced? What kind of company has a data plan for a flagship product, the iPad 3G — what appears to be the flagship product of the entire industry this year — available for just 30 days before changing the terms significantly? The “$30/month for unlimited, cancel or downgrade at any time” deal was a highly touted part of the iPad introduction. $25 for 2 GB isn’t bad at all, but it’s just downright weird for it to change so soon after the iPad 3G went on sale.

Much more to consider after clicking the link

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I found a great article. Here is a paragraph. After reading it, all i could think of is : ATT just killed innovation.

What kinds of applications would I be running and how often would I have to use them to reach the 2GB cap on my iPhone?

Any kind of streaming service consumes a lot of data. This includes music services such as Pandora and movie applications, like Netflix. Other applications that must be refreshed regularly, such as Google Maps, also eat up a lot of bandwidth. Skype, which allows for voice over IP calling, is another application that consumes a lot of bandwidth.
    Satyavolu said that any of these applications in excess could get users close to the 2GB limit. For example, listening to Pandora for three to five hours at a time could be a problem. Watching one or two movies a day could also get your monthly usage close to the 2GB mark. Using Google Maps several hours a day every day could also almost reach that limit. Using Skype as the primary way to call people will also get consumers close to their data limit.
    But Satyavolu emphasized that occasional use of these applications is all right.
    "I wouldn't use Google Maps as my GPS for my delivery truck," he said. "And I wouldn't use Skype all the time to call all my friends, but using these applications in moderation is fine and most people won't have to worry about going over their 2GB limit."
    Still, he admits that each of these services in moderation can also add up quickly.
    "Most people won't have to worry about their usage much under current usage levels," he added. "But you have to remember that the average usage has gone up 3.5 times in the past year and a half. So if things continue on that path, then these limits could be an issue in the future."
    Last edited by ventz; 06-05-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Fixed a key spelling mistake :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast