+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...nsumer-Loyalty... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Soul searching: What RIM Needs to do to Rebuild BlackBerry Consume

Advertisement

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    These points all have validity. *The 9800, which was to be the flagship device, was in my opinion exactly what the article said-a pieced together device. *I managed to last six weeks with mine. *Like you Del, I love the Blackberry platform, but they have not evolved with the rest of the industry. *I hear people say, "well RIM is a business device, it doesn't have to do multimedia well." *Why? *Why can't it be a great multimedia device also? *The screen on the 9800 is lackluster, constant battery pulls are a pain, and the browser, while a slight improvement, is horrendous. *I must say that nobody does email like RIM though. *But to stay in the game, they are really going to have to revamp their thinking and put some major hardware in their new devices. *Like so many people, I started with a BlackBerry, and am still quite fond of them. *I would not hesitate to return if they will make a device that rivals iOS or the Android platforms.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Mainstreaming to just business has long passed, if RIM wants to stay with the big dogs then they better come up with a new business plan quickly cause the dust is getting thicker

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I have an upgrade available now. However, I am not using it. AT&T will probably have LTE available here next year. I want an LTE device. I would like to stay with BlackBerry, and I will if QNX supports LTE. If it does not, I am switching to Android. I do not like any iDevice, due to Apple's micromanagement, and I do not see Windows as viable in the mobile platform. Therefore, it will be either BlackBerry or Android when I upgrade next year.

Both Nokia and BlackBerry are in the same boat here, and I'm hoping they both come up with something and don't become unimportant, which is what happened with HP (Palm). RIM is at least doing something with the QNX os coming (eventually) and the 1.2 GHz processors coming on devices by the end of September. All in all, however, I have to agree with the article, but I have a little more positive outlook for BB's future - if qnx and the faster processor means a better ui that can compete. I definitely agree with PapaMag: "Mainstreaming to just business has long passed". You gotta have the ui and the screen and the media to compete, there is now no such thing as just a Business device.

markstone@pinstack.com

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Both Nokia and BlackBerry are in the same boat here, and I'm hoping they both come up with something and don't become unimportant, which is what happened with HP (Palm). RIM is at least doing something with the QNX os coming (eventually) and the 1.2 GHz processors coming on devices by the end of September. All in all, however, I have to agree with the article, but I have a little more positive outlook for BB's future - if qnx and the faster processor means a better ui that can compete. I definitely agree with PapaMag: "Mainstreaming to just business has long passed". You gotta have the ui and the screen and the media to compete, there is now no such thing as just a Business device.

markstone@pinstack.com
    I agree, Mark.
    Re: HP, they really had no interest in Palm as a mobile device. They really wanted WebOS as a proprietary Linux-based OS as an alternative to Windows. http://www.infoworld.com/t/webos/hp-...ndows-ship-043
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Very good article with a honest view of how Rimm needs to fix its problems.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... For RIM to reignite, all they have to do is take care of the multimedia side of things. That starts with a more interactive UI, a better screen and definitely a different browser. The basic BB services which served them so well can remain.
    More than this, is to communicate better: don't announce something and then forget it, keep the OS up to date for everyone, reduce their models to just (maybe) 2, but with good quality and the same OS.
    And, don't allow all the supposed OS beta updates run wild. Don't create expectations when they don't exist.
    Finally, do away with the need for a battery pull. It's a nuisance.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ... For RIM to reignite, all they have to do is take care of the multimedia side of things. That starts with a more interactive UI, a better screen and definitely a different browser. The basic BB services which served them so well can remain.
    I agree with all of the above. They especially need a better browser that does not crash. "Page too large" is unacceptable.
    More than this, is to communicate better: don't announce something and then forget it, keep the OS up to date for everyone, reduce their models to just (maybe) 2, but with good quality and the same OS.
    They should not announce something and then keep customers waiting for it for 6-12 months. When Apple announces a new product, it has a firm release date and customers know when they will be able to purchase the product.
    And, don't allow all the supposed OS beta updates run wild. Don't create expectations when they don't exist.
    That means they need to get the OS right, but I also put the blame on the carriers here. AT&T's official OSes for the 9000 and 9700 (the two devices I've owned) have all been terrible. VZW also had an official OS for the 9630 that was so buggy it played "inappropriate" ring tones from old MMS messages when phone calls came in.
    Finally, do away with the need for a battery pull. It's a nuisance.
    I agree 100% here.
    Laura

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well I have to agree with most everything I've read here. It makes me sad to see some of us die hard blackberry users being forced to go to a different device and system, not that they are bad, just that RIM has such tunnel vision that they have lost sight of their true customers

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Well I have to agree with most everything I've read here. It makes me sad to see some of us die hard blackberry users being forced to go to a different device and system, not that they are bad, just that RIM has such tunnel vision that they have lost sight of their true customers
    Yeah PapaMag, I had forgotten this one.
    RIM must hire some Optometrists...

PIN/ID
    no more
    In most businesses, the rule of three seems to apply. There tend to be three major competitors within a certain market.

Right now, we have Android and iOS in the smartphone platform. I do think there will be a third platform. It will be interesting to see if the third ends up being RIM, Microsoft, or HP.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Yeah PapaMag, I had forgotten this one.
    RIM must hire some Optometrists...
    I just made an Optometrist appointment today. Perhaps, I could recommend my doctor to Jim B. and Mike L.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    In most businesses, the rule of three seems to apply. There tend to be three major competitors within a certain market.

Right now, we have Android and iOS in the smartphone platform. I do think there will be a third platform. It will be interesting to see if the third ends up being RIM, Microsoft, or HP.
    Microsoft is making interesting moves out there. It wouldn´t surprise me at all.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I just made an Optometrist appointment today. Perhaps, I could recommend my doctor to Jim B. and Mike L.
    Send them a mail... with a link to this thread!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast