+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...sung-Captivate... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Article: Smartphone comparison: Motorola Droid X vs iPhone 4 vs Samsung Cap

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Love the easy to read and see spec comparison. It' comes in handy when needing to double check questions.

Edit* Is the Droid X also an AKA for the Droid 2? I think that is still going to be the big Android winner. The hardware seems to be better tuned for the Android OS.

Last edited by srl7741; 06-21-2010 at 09:47 AM.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Droid X is my pick. I want that huge screen! Build quality will be top notch with Motorola.

All 3 Super-phones look great and each will have its own following. Now a little nitpicking for each.

Droid X should have a front facing camera. Not a deal breaker at all for me. I wouldn't be using it anyways.

Iphone 4 Should have a 4-inch screen or at least 3.7. Wont matter to long time Iphone users.

Galaxy S has no camera flash which is absolutely unforgivable. Why Samsung? This would be a deal breaker for me.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Na, Droid 2 and Droid x are two different beasts.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Sorry when it comes to display, I prefer the iPhone display here by a landslide. Out of the 3 smartphone the iPhone 4 has THE highest "resolution" 960 x 640. An almost netbook-like resolution AND without increasing the the overall physical size of the phone.

It means on the iPhone 4 you will see more or web pages and more of documents and less on the other smartphones.

One of the selling points for iphone has always been that when you slide it into your pocket you can almost forget its there due to the size. A 4" screen would have taken that away.

I would much more prefer a 12" laptop with 1400x900 resolution than a 14" with 1280x728. Bigger screen that shows less pixels is not my idea of a better display.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yes that makes sense in theory Hayden. We shall see how it plays out in actual use. My friend is getting the Iphone 4 Friday and I'll have the Droid X on preorder as soon as I can. We will go head to head on everything.

And I'll post the Iphone 4's beating here.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Lol. Can't wait for that rdills. Make a video for us.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yes indeed my friend. Got my Flip HD ready!lol

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I might go with the iphone, but I'm still not sure.
    It's the first iphone that I've wanted, but still seems like all that hasn't changed much. Better screen, multitasking and the icons jiggle. Awesome. Video calling seems kinda cool, but over wifi only? kinda disappointing. To be honest I hate itunes so why cant they make the iphone without the need for itunes? I shouldnt expect change from a company who is run by a man that never changes his shirt.

The Droid X looks ridiculous.
    Can you imagine what that thing will do to a weak and feeble man? I'm sure right before it vibrates, wild life will run for safety, while leaving you helpless, shaking violently on the floor. After your own personal earthquake, you will have to take the monstrosity from your pocket, while trying not to injure innocent bystanders, and finally answer the call. People will think you're talking into a remote control, but what the hell right? You have a big screen.

Samsung Captivate?
    Smaller than Monstrosity X, but other than that its the same thing, except the other night I watching a video that featured this phone, and I must say; that UI they put on it is hideous. Very disappointed. I like Android naked with no silly UI over it.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I agree to liking plain vanilla Android better than a manufacturer UI, unfortunately the Droid X and Droid 2 are both reportedly going to get the new motoblur/ninjablur. The X seems big, but I will have to see it in person before making a judgement about it being to big. The iPhone will always remain a non-factor in my phone choice as long as it's on AT&T but the screen seems like it would be pretty. And no Android phone on AT&T would work for me as long as they continue to cripple the ability to download apps outside the Market......that would leave me unable to beta test stuff So that leaves the Samsung out of the race for me too!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

gschoelles no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

Old Eyes

More pixels in less space may be great for the young, but for us folks that need to toss on our readers each time we pickup our phones, a combination of both size and resolution would be grand. I must further disagree with the Laptop comparison, whereas CAD and games definitely need the larger screen.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Sorry when it comes to display, I prefer the iPhone display here by a landslide. Out of the 3 smartphone the iPhone 4 has THE highest "resolution" 960 x 640. An almost netbook-like resolution AND without increasing the the overall physical size of the phone.

It means on the iPhone 4 you will see more or web pages and more of documents and less on the other smartphones.

One of the selling points for iphone has always been that when you slide it into your pocket you can almost forget its there due to the size. A 4" screen would have taken that away.

I would much more prefer a 12" laptop with 1400x900 resolution than a 14" with 1280x728. Bigger screen that shows less pixels is not my idea of a better display.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Some great points listed, I love that stuff. The new iPhone screen resolution does make for an interesting topic. Think about the entire eco system of each device along with changes made. Fragmentation can be an issue (Android anyone?). It's important to keep the thousands of Apps compatible to a certain degree so Developers don't have to start from scratch. Apps are a little hidden Gem like BBM is to BB. The users fall in love with or become tied to those Apps they like most and it helps keep the user on the platform and using the same device longer.

Now if we move to larger screens on the newer versions or the hardware becomes such the Apps no longer look/work correct it's a bad thing. Apple was smart to keep the screen size and increase the resolution. Developers only need to push out an update which consists of higher resolution images being used. If they chose not to release an update the Apps still look good even tho not as good.

Run an iPhone App (any App) on the iPad where you have to use the 2x option to fill the screen and you will see what I mean. It's horrible and it's a confirmed DELETE App.

Look at the two images used on the iPhone3GS and the iPhone4. You will see just how much better the new screen will be. Let me try to embed the two image resolutions in the post so you can see the difference.

iPhone3GS:

iPhone4:

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Not showing up on my pc or Droid srl7741.

Yes Apple took the safe and easy route in keeping the same screen size. I would've like to see them step outside the box and really bring it with the Iphone 4. Android will eventually force Apple to innovate. Just like Apple has done to everyone else. By the end of the year, more of the same just won't be good enough.

PIN/ID
    ask
    I donno. As an iPhone user looking to replace my iPhone. I expect the replacement to be the same size or smaller. If they made that change on me of increasing the size of the device by one inch... I would not call that innovation.

What has Apple cloned from others? Not much, I still think they are being cloned since the first iPhone... like you said and I think the iPhone 4 will continue that trend.

512mb ram and 1ghz processor and front facing "usable" video calling interface are pretty big to me. All in a smaller package. Let's get the carriers to all increase data bandwidth and soon we will be able to make vid calls over their networks.

Glad it's limited to wifi only or it would probably bring down AT&Ts or any carrier's network - for days/weeks - who had millions of people testig out video calling.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm going to guess Video Calls will not be an option till LTE is running in many more areas and can handle the added load. Calls using LTE or any other type of service will count towards minutes used. WiFi will be free and not counted towards any minutes used. That is nice to know.

If will be interesting to see just how much of the battery is used when using FaceTime Video chat.

Edit* To add additional thought.

Hayden you mentioned something I had not put much thought into just yet. Front facing camera "usable" is the key. Others who have front facing cameras don't have any software solution and certainly don't have any Apps that cross all platforms making it a "usable" feature. One other option is to sell so many phones (millions) where users can actually have a use for it.

With the millions of iPhone 4's being sold it will be a more attractive feature. Does that make sense?

No reason to have a front facing video camera if only 10,000 people world wide have that one specific phone. I watched a Pod Cast where the guy had an Evo but did not know anyone else with one so he couldn't use the video chat.

Last edited by srl7741; 06-22-2010 at 01:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-21-2010, 11:23 AM