+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...y-Get-It-Right... Smartphone News forum

  1. #1
    Delfim's Avatar
    Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Posts
    14,886

    Article: Why Samsung's 5-Inch and 7-Inch Tablets May Get It Right

    Advertisement




  2. #2
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    I know smaller tabs are preferred for travelers, but I dunno about the Note. US carriers love to charge for everything. I don't see too many people having a plan for the Note and for a smartphone that's prob only a little smaller.

  3. #3
    Delfim's Avatar
    Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Posts
    14,886
    Y'know, I played with a similar pad months ago. The Dell Streak. I liked it . Pity about Froyo. For the few days I had it I quickly got into the habit of switching off my iPhone (Gasp...!) and have this pad on my desk to work with and to use as a phone. In the car I just connected bluetooth and off I went. And writing email, notes, working the calendar etc was a cinch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    IMO, if I were Samsung I would buy WebOS. Hold on.....hear me out. Samsung is a tech giant, more so than apple will ever be. The main reason that I use Apple devices is the ease of use from one to the next. From my MacBook Pro to my iPad to my iPhone. Everything works flawlessly between them all. This is what has made Apple a great company to buy you tech products from.

    Samsung has the power to turn WebOS into its own ecosystem. It has the influence to create its on app store and lure developers to it. They make TVs,Pcs,smartphones,tablets and much more. Wouldn't it be nice if you wanted to work off your Samsung PC during the day, get home, finish that work on the couch on your Tab and play a game on your TV. All while using the same account. Everything in unison. That's what the Apple ecosystem gives you to certain degree.

    WebOS, don't know how many have used it is IMO the slickest,easiest and fun OS to use. So much potential it just needs a company like Samsung to make it it's own.

    Apple haters will always bring up the fact that they tightly control their system. They'll bring up the point of Android being open to everyone. This is androids fault, and something I think Google should address with the accusation of Motorola. They won't , their a advertising company. But being in control leads to a much better user experience. A better consistency form user to user. You can find a great reponse to one android device then turn around and find a negative reponse to another. Both are using Android, maybe different versions, or different manufaturers. This is too much inconsistency to lead to a positive over all user satisfaction.

    The real reason that we see android growing in market share on smartphones is carriers are giving them away, FREE. To the consumer that wants a iPhone , they will settle for the phone that looks like one, acts like one but is free. For the uniformed user this is always going to be the choice.

    Samsung could capitalize on this, if they controlled the OS, made it for their tablets,phones,PC's, hell even TV's, they could come out strong and rival Google and Apple.

    Just my opinion

  5. #5
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    Double rant...
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-03-2011 at 12:44 AM.

  6. #6
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    Looks like an iPhone and acts like an iPhone?
    Which android is that? I missed it when I went shopping.

    When will the issue of "I saw it on t.v. so it must be kewl, I want one too!" come into play?
    If you want to pay the exorbitant prices Apple demands for "ease of use " (and tell that to the woman who's iTunes decided it didn't want to play nice with windows that I had to fix today) then by all means, please do. I will stop using smartphones before I'm held hostage by popular opinion and an autocratic company like that, Apple, Google, or my own mother's.

    Yes, carriers ARE giving them away, you wanna know why, cause people want them and they draw customers through the door. The ONLY reason you don't see.$.99 iPhones is because Apple will not allow it.

    The user expirience....the one that Sammy supposidly copied (if you believe doctored images)...isn't so fantasmorgasmic on the iPhone for every user. SOME of us don't want to jump through jail broken hoops to customize and set up our phones the way WE want them. Some of us don't WANT to be teathered to a computer to update our devices. I dare say ENOUGH of us desire the freedom that uncaring and heartless advertiser Google affords us. And its not at all like we're
    Being tricked by hip celebrities or photoshopped evidence .

    The reason that Android is beating iOS IS because they're more (and blessedly different) android devices out there. Yeppers, because people want them, they want them and they're being manufactured by big bad bully Googlorla, Samsung, and some little Chinese manufacturer. Complain all just want about fairness, but the one device against many is Apples doing. Can't blame a consumer for choosing choice. I betcha new sales numbers will be on Androids side as well.

    Now, I'm going to bed. Said I wouldn't do this again. Think im going to take a break from here for a few days........
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-03-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: cause i cant type and cuss at same time

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    Seriously???? You are so filled with Hate for Apple you're like a race horse with blinders on. Since when is a iPhone and I quote "exorbitly" more expensive than a new android???????? $199' that's the normal price for any smartphone. I guess you missed the likenesses between TouchWiz and iOS because you hate apple so you never picked one up to compare.

    So, because people want them they're giving them away??? Really??? Seems to go against the laws of supply and demand.

    Guess what,every manufacture sets its pricing, they sell to the provider for a certain amount and the provider sells it for a subsidized price. Providers don't make money off of phones, they make their money off of service. Have you looked at what these "cheap" and "free" androids would cost you if you didn't sign a contract? Android isn't beating iOS. Far from it. iOS is in front of more users by a long long shot. If you don't believe me then I can get you figures or you can search. Let me put it to you this way, if you were a developer which would you rather develop for, a market that expects things for free and has a user base in the lower class or a market that's willing to pay for apps that are expected to be quality and ad free.

    Why has iOS become a central for gaming?? Because it's users are willing to pay for quality games that require hard,long hours of work. Not some thrown together version with ads. Anyone that thinks that Apple and it's devices are the best platform for gaming or that it can give the best performance is lying to themselves or is as blind as you seem to be. But it's users are willing to pay for the work on top of it has the largest user base. Who would you develop for??

    To your comment on new sales numbers, you know the new iPhone is coming out.....right? Let's see how many Apple sells on release day. "I betcha" it's more than any other manufaturer sells in a whole quarter.

  8. #8
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    This will be my last post here for a bit, simply because I'm finding that anger and frustration are creeping into my posts.

    Touchwiz and iOS, lets deal with this first. First and foremost you're comparing an os to what amounts to a skin. Since most I sheep love to compare Apple to oranges, I'm not surprised you're so set on this one. Home screens look NOTHING alike (unless the user makes it). You have only icons to boost your argument, and I'd sit down on that one. Yes they're rectangular, and OMG Sammy uses a phone icon, and a gears icon too! Copyright infringement if ever there was one! Guess what, before Apple, most used the same wrench icon for settings etc. Would you prefer Sammy change its icons? Are you really going to blow smoke and claim there alike over icons? Really? Then with all due respect I can only say "iSheep go baaaaa"

    Believe it or not, and I know his is crazy so put on a helmet, Android users do pay for apps! Not everything is free, and not everyone keeps free apps, we usually buy if it is worth the price. But I'm LOWER CLASS, and I guess I expect to have my free ride, that's why "I gotz mah dawqs n may droid". Take that laurel elitist attitude and graze with other sheep. (Yes what was implied by that sentence above pissed me off)

    So, yes Androids are subsidized, but that wasn't what you were arguing when you said "They are giving them away". You were making a statement that supports cheapness, and supporting Androids popularity. After all, there are alot of poor folk that want a iPhone, but wezzz gotta settle far day knockoff android.
    They phones are cheap (once again) because carriers know that's what users are after, and a deal is what gets them in the door. Btw, costs the same or damn close to own a droid on AT&T as it does an iPhone. Crept maybe for accessories, again we droid users art lower class, I made a case outta duct tape!

    The rest, gaming, paying, etc.....see above.
    Oh, and yes, exorbitant pricing (in your example of everything working together). Apple charges more for desktops, laptops, etc. You said you use all Apple because it just works.. well I'm sorry, but I won't pay Apples prices on the illusion that I need to for ease. I'm not that lazy, or stupid. And it doesn't ALWAYS just work. It should for what they charge for a MacBook......

    At the risk of getting in hot water here for the first time, I'm going to tell you I don't give a flying I poop about any replies. I'm tired of trying to make sense against a fruity onslaught of I clone spew regurgitated from Mac fan sites. And honestly, I am too close to be labeled a fan boy, I'm losing some objectivity to anger.

    See you guys in a few days.

  9. #9
    Delfim's Avatar
    Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Posts
    14,886
    I think we all need a break.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    This will be my last post here for a bit, simply because I'm finding that anger and frustration are creeping into my posts.
    Why, I don't agree with you and you get angry. you're the one with the Apple issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    and iOS, lets deal with this first. First and foremost you're comparing an os to what amounts to a skin.
    It is a skin, that looks like iOS. from the icons to the way you scroll through the pages of apps down to the little page dots.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Since most I sheep love to compare Apple to oranges, I'm not surprised you're so set on this one.
    LMAO at the "sheep" comment. Guess what, I still own a Android and owned many versions. I remember Android from 2.0 days. Don't give me that sheep comment as I have far more experience with different devices and I choose the one I like best, for the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Home screens look NOTHING alike (unless the user makes it).You have only icons to boost your argument, and I'd sit down on that one. Yes they're rectangular, and OMG Sammy uses a phone icon, and a gears icon too! Copyright infringement if ever there was one! Guess what, before Apple, most used the same wrench icon for settings etc. Would you prefer Sammy change its icons? Are you really going to blow smoke and claim there alike over icons? Really? Then with all due respect I can only say "iSheep go baaaaa"
    They do look a like, why did everyone else that makes a skin for android do something different and Samsung felt it needed to make it look like Apple? They did it because that's what sells, that's what people want. Don't believe me? Look at the sales figures for Moto,HTC and then Samsung, it's the only one that looks like iOS, scrolls like iOS. It's the one that's selling also. Why is that??? iSheep,LMAO again,

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Believe it or not, and I know his is crazy so put on a helmet, Android users do pay for apps! Not everything is free, and not everyone keeps free apps, we usually buy if it is worth the price. But I'm LOWER CLASS, and I guess I expect to have my free ride, that's why "I gotz mah dawqs n may droid". Take that laurel elitist attitude and graze with other sheep. (Yes what was implied by that sentence above pissed me off)
    No kidding??, I've bought plenty. So yes, I know there are paid apps. The "we" usually buy it if it's worth the price" is a bunch of BS. who is we, your family,friends? That may be but the figures don't support your claim. As far as what I was implying, It wasn't anything, sorry you took that to heart. I was stating that more lower class citizens will choose free over paid. They do and will continue to do so. Not just on phones. But don't get upset at me because I'm successful and worked damn hard to get here and to work damn hard to stay here!! Those are your issues, not mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    So, yes Androids are subsidized, but that wasn't what you were arguing when you said "They are giving them away". You were making a statement that supports cheapness, and supporting Androids popularity. After all, there are alot of poor folk that want a iPhone, but wezzz gotta settle far day knockoff android.
    They phones are cheap (once again) because carriers know that's what users are after, and a deal is what gets them in the door. Btw, costs the same or damn close to own a droid on AT&T as it does an iPhone. Crept maybe for accessories, again we droid users art lower class, I made a case outta duct tape!
    So who is winning in that picture of yours? It sure isn't the phone manufacturer. It's the carriers and Android. Not the company putting in all the work to bring something to market.

    You're taking one statement, that's true by the way and running with it to somewhere you wanted it to go.


    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Oh, and yes, exorbitant pricing (in your example of everything working together). Apple charges more for desktops, laptops, etc. You said you use all Apple because it just works.. well I'm sorry, but I won't pay Apples prices on the illusion that I need to for ease. I'm not that lazy, or stupid. And it doesn't ALWAYS just work. It should for what they charge for a MacBook......
    Illusion??? You , like so many other Android die hards have lost sight on what this battle is, it isn't about the best phone, it's bigger than that, it's about the best ecosystem and right now, at this moment in time, no one has a better one than Apple. That can not be disputed by anyone. Not even the most die hard Android fans. Apple has built the easiest system to use. From movies,music,apps,games,productivity solutions. It's all there. It's not about Android having the market share of smartphones. It's about a company that makes hardware and software for everything in your life. Until the Android manufacturers realize that Android, not them, might be winning the battle in smartphones but are losing the war which is the ecosystem and how many users it reaches. Apples dominance will remain.

    That was the whole point of my first post, you have taking it and turned it into a Apple vs Android thread. You mentioned nothing about what I said on this subject which shows that all you want to read in my posts are the Apple parts. I merely used them as a example of why I choose them. nothing more.

    Lazy or Stupid?? I'm not sure if that was directed at me but I assure you I'm far from either.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    At the risk of getting in hot water here for the first time, I'm going to tell you I don't give a flying I poop about any replies. I'm tired of trying to make sense against a fruity onslaught of I clone spew regurgitated from Mac fan sites. And honestly, I am too close to be labeled a fan boy, I'm losing some objectivity to anger.

    See you guys in a few days.
    My opinions are my opinions, I have used countless devices and if you want to know the truth, back to my original post. I would probably switch to WebOS if Samsung took it over and made it it's own like Apple has done with iOS and OSX.
    Not sure why you're angry, not sure why you seem to dislike the fact that I choose Apple. You might need to take a few days to cool off. I've been there before, no worries.

  11. #11
    Capdot's Avatar
    Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,958
    Samsung may be on to something... They have seen success by ripping off the look of iPhone, but this! This is something they went out and did by themselves, I applaud thee.

    I'm thinking $120 BOGO sale at launch? I mean it kinda reminds me of an iPhone so it may do ok.

  12. #12
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Somebody run outside and get a hose. It's getting a little too hot in here.

    We all have our opinions, but it's not necessary to intimate that ours is the only one that matters or that the other person's is wrong.

    Let's remember why this site is what it is.......because we are free to speak our minds without fear of being flamed for such.

    You guys have taken it up just a notch too high, in my opinion.

  13. #13
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    We also need to remember that it's hard to read one's true feelings and emotions from a post on a forum, so if something said here is tongue in cheek, it might not be taken as such by the reader.

  14. #14
    Delfim's Avatar
    Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Posts
    14,886
    Yeah. Gotta be careful of the "tongue-in-cheek". The last time I did that I got it stuck between my two missing molars...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •