+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dushdavj
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...RIM-MISSES-BIG... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: RIM MISSES BIG

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Ok so thery're far from being an Apple or a Google, but they are still making money! I know this is going to hit their stock, this is where I find analysts on the stock market so annoying. The whole world is currently in a mess, there is high unemployment, companies are laying people off big time (look at the US post office, Bank of America, the latest scandal Solyndra going bankrupt after being give 500 million in public loans) and yet they are down on RIM because their revenue was $4.2 Billion instead of $4.5 Billion, anyone ever thought that less people are buying phones, or that companies that are the main users of BB's may have laid more people off, needing less phones, and keeping the phones they have for longer. The biggest problem for RIM has been the requirement to purchase patents, and to pay off Dolby. In the end they are still making money.

As the economy gets worse people will no longer be able to keep up with the latest technology, the must haves will become just dreams on the horizon. People will have to decide if they want the latest shiney gadget or food on the table, depressing I know but for a lot of people the sad reality.
    Delfim likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hear, hear Dave. Unfortunately that's the truth. Ask us in the EU.
    And especially if the US sneezes...we all catch cold.
    Regarding RIM, I don't think it's fair to look at the figure in a pure statistical exercise. Economy and finance has played havoc with all major corporations, rules are now sill being set for what is possible to come. And it's not pleasant.
    What I see with RIM is a very solid foundation. Lots of cash reserves, even better than expected. Ok, looking at profits, from direct merchandising, is down. The analysis of the balance sheet is great as well. Not many mega companies are even near RIM's levels, even though they report higher figures. The nett value (assets, own capital) of RIM is an example to many. Canada should be proud...
    What the press wants is to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.
    dushdavj likes this.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I do not think RIM's issues are due to the economy. Android and iPhone are selling like hotcakes all over the world. Smartphone sales as a percentage of all phone sales are increasing in the US.

RIM has been late to the market with the OS7 devices, and gambled and lost on the Playbook. I expect to see a Playbook fire sale much like the HP Touchpad fire sale.

RIM would be attractive to a buyer if sales/profits continue to tank.

I would like to see them remain an independent company (with different leadership--ditch both co-CEOs and get one new CEO), but I do not see how they will be able to compete against the deep pockets of Apple, Google, and Microsoft (who I think will be competitive again in the smartphone business).

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    RIM's stock is down is because they aren't making products that lure in new users (at least not as inspiring as other companies). Yes the economy is in the pits in most countries but their competitors (Apple, Google, and Microsoft) are still recording profits.
    To me, every time RIM ventures into unchartered territory outside their norm, it's a big hit or miss. The PlayBook was nice but the sales were horrible. Going further back, you have the Storm (we all know about this). Here in Toronto, Canada, the Torch is returned the most at Rogers for replacement. The Bold devices are reliable and good phones. I use the 9700 but i heard the 9780 is solid. I think they have something great with the 9900 and quite possibly the QNX devices coming up but all in all, they just need to make 2-3 solid smartphones and 1 amazing tablet to compete. Forget making 8 different phones and having sub-par devices on the market (in my opinion of course).

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    With regards to Google, Microsoft and Apple they are all doing very well, but it wasn't always this way. I am old enough to have seen the rise fall and rise of Apple. They nearly went Bankrupt and were saved by an investment by Microsoft. ITunes brings in a load of money for Apple just by being a distributing software and music. Microsoft took out a lot of companies, but made the big money by providing software to many computer companies, much as Google is doing now with Android. RIM is different, they manufacture the phones, and develop the OS which they tried to keep secure for their main base the business market. It is very difficult to compete with companies that have money to burn. I would also worry about takeovers, patent suits, and destruction of competition. We have seen it in the auto industry, we have seen small shops go under, and we will see companies in the tech industry go away. Every time this happens your capability to chose will be eroded. Yes the Iphone and Ipad are solid systems, but I want to be able to decide what I want to use. If RIM gets sold how long will they stay in business. HP kept their plans under wraps then closed things down. I want to see other tablets out there, in theory it should force innovation for competition. When I lived in the Far East there were so many computer makers to choose from. Here in the west you can probably count them on one hand

So I say keep on rolling RIM fight hard and keep inventing, you may not have Android or IOS but the Playbook is solid and is a good OS, the phones are secure and do what they were built for well. Maybe I am a dinosaur, but the phones do what I want, work everywhere I travel (worldwide) in temperatures of over 40 C to -40C in deserts and high humidity, continue working when I drop them. These things don't show in the statistics.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    With regards to Google, Microsoft and Apple they are all doing very well, but it wasn't always this way. I am old enough to have seen the rise fall and rise of Apple. They nearly went Bankrupt and were saved by an investment by Microsoft. ITunes brings in a load of money for Apple just by being a distributing software and music.
    I too, also remember that Apple almost disappeared. Another factor one cannot dismiss is the influence of Steve Jobs. Whether one loves or hates him, he is a genius. Bringing Steve Jobs back to Apple is another reason why Apple succeeded. Mike Lazaridis might have been a great engineer in RIM's early days, but he does not appear to understand what consumers want in smartphones nowadays. His dismissal of the importance of apps hurt RIM. Jim Balsillie is a businessman, not a tech genius. Balsillie has no tech background at all.

The co-CEO structure is also inefficient and ineffective. There is a reason why the majority of companies have a single CEO. RIM should replace Lazaridis and Balsillie with a new CEO who really is in touch with the current market. Perhaps they could keep Lazaridis as Chairman like Microsoft kept Gates as Chairman. Lazaridis could still handle special projects, like Gates provided input when Microsoft purchased Skype.
    Microsoft took out a lot of companies, but made the big money by providing software to many computer companies, much as Google is doing now with Android. RIM is different, they manufacture the phones, and develop the OS which they tried to keep secure for their main base the business market. It is very difficult to compete with companies that have money to burn. I would also worry about takeovers, patent suits, and destruction of competition. We have seen it in the auto industry, we have seen small shops go under, and we will see companies in the tech industry go away.
    This already happened during the tech bubble in the late 90s.
    Every time this happens your capability to chose will be eroded. Yes the Iphone and Ipad are solid systems, but I want to be able to decide what I want to use. If RIM gets sold how long will they stay in business. HP kept their plans under wraps then closed things down. I want to see other tablets out there, in theory it should force innovation for competition. When I lived in the Far East there were so many computer makers to choose from. Here in the west you can probably count them on one hand
    Despite the mergers and acquisitions in the PC market, there still are many PC brands available. It is a mature market, so there will not be as many companies available. We see that with many products, not just tech. For instance, how many different companies make cereal or potato chips? There are several well-known brands in every market, plus a few small, niche products. I expect it to be the same once the smartphone market matures. The "rule of three" seems to apply in just about every market, since there are usually three big competitors, plus several niche companies. Perhaps RIM could be the niche company.

So I say keep on rolling RIM fight hard and keep inventing, you may not have Android or IOS but the Playbook is solid and is a good OS, the phones are secure and do what they were built for well. Maybe I am a dinosaur, but the phones do what I want, work everywhere I travel (worldwide) in temperatures of over 40 C to -40C in deserts and high humidity, continue working when I drop them. These things don't show in the statistics.
    That is an idea. Maybe RIM could be the niche company that makes smartphones for consumers/businesses with specialized needs for security and durability.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    That is an idea. Maybe RIM could be the niche company that makes smartphones for consumers/businesses with specialized needs for security and durability
    Isn't that what their current customer base is, only they are trying to expand out of it?
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    The thing is, RIM was not a niche player in the past. They were the dominant player. They were relegated to being a niche player due to the shortsightedness of their co-CEOs.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    With RIM present structure if it goes into the niche business it's goodbye BB.
    They must just get a OS that works and offers all like the others. Get 2 or 3 fabulous, and out of the ordinary gadgets and do like Mercedes Benz: our products are good so if you want them its because you are a great chooser, and willing to pay our price... Sell millions. With a great profit margin.
    lak611 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread