+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...tch-Windows-XP... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: NSA recommends users ditch Windows XP

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Maybe Microsoft should have made the upgrade simpler. Choices are partition your disk and do a clean install, or backup all your data and reformat your disk and perform a clean install, then go through all your software to see what is still compatible. Or of course you can buy a new computer, if you choose to do the former, make sure you have enough disk space, 'cos each new operating system requires more space, plus make sure the CPU is fast enough, that your Video card is compatible and you have enough memory (I found 2 Gb was not enough, or at least not enough to give the same performance as I had with XP).

If you wish to upgrade to 64 Bit, then software again becomes an issue, whilst a lot of 32 bit software will run on 64 bit systems you are still left with the feeling that your loosing out. A up side of 64 Bit is that the software can handle more the 3.2 Gb of memory, (how many people were convinced they should buy 8 GB of memory with their 32 Bit system not knowing the software has limitations such that it cannot address more the 3.2 Gb??

Good luck with the upgrades...I am currently running 1 64 Bit Windows 7 notebook 8Gb , 1 32 Bit Windows 7 desktop, 1 32 Bit windows XP 4Gb on both + running dual boot Linux Red Hat on the 64 Bit machine. They all go through a secure router with firewall and good Anti-Virus/spam/fishing filters, along with a password protection such that you cant just switch them on. Do we really need to spend more money are the powers that be trying to convince people to go out and spend spend spend
    Last edited by dushdavj; 05-02-2011 at 06:57 PM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks very much for the pertinent info Dave. Great help ! I´m sure it will help answer some questions that stackers will have. Or that I had...

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    If you wish to upgrade to 64 Bit, then software again becomes an issue, whilst a lot of 32 bit software will run on 64 bit systems you are still left with the feeling that your loosing out. A up side of 64 Bit is that the software can handle more the 3.2 Gb of memory, (how many people were convinced they should buy 8 GB of memory with their 32 Bit system not knowing the software has limitations such that it cannot address more the 3.2 Gb??

I did not know this.

Thank you.

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Yes, thank you for the info Dave !

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Your welcome, I was caught out about 4 years ago, putting 4 Gb of memory on my 32 bit Windows XP system only to find that part of the memory was unused. When I inquired furhter I found that this was a limitation of the 32 bit operating system. XP 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit canboth address a lot more memory (don't know if there is a limit, but 12+ Gb is no problem). If you want to learn a new operating system like Linux you can actually use a lot more memory, and with the correct program address various CPU's and specify memory.
    A further point to be aware of is that you can upgrade your operating system from 32 Bit to 64 Bit (providing that your CPU is fast enough, that you have enough memory and enough disk space )

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I'm caught in the middle of a bitter choice between the two as I type this. I'm on my way to purchase another drive because all my drives are full and need the space to start clean slate. I hope Windows 7 doesn't let me down as I've read on a few forums about game performance. I hope this is not the case. We shall see. Great article. I'm not trying to get anyone into win7 but I thought I'll give it a try before judging it and basing it on others' experiences. I'd rather have my own feedback. See you guys l8r once I'm back and running my beast.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^let us know Rato !

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I had an old Toshiba laptop with only 512 MB RAM and 55 GB HD that was running XP. I used GParted to format the HD, and I'm now running OpenSUSE 11.4 on that laptop.

I also have another machine running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional and Ubuntu 11.04.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Well, I like it. I'm gonna ride it out till my pc explodes....Tons of things to do with this OS. Here's a sneak peek

What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am currently running 2 Windows XP machines, 1 Windows 7 32 Bit machine and 1 Windows 7 dual boot 64 bit machine with Red Hat 64 bit Enterprise Workstation. Interestingly enough I tried Ubuntu, but it was only 32 bit, and could not run some of the software I needed to use, so had to go the RedHat route.

I like Windows 7, particularly if you have enough memory and a fast enough processor, Microsoft has fixed a lot of issues with it, and it is pretty intuitive, I feel a lot of problems that people have with it are due to lack of memory, rather than software issues. I must admit though working with several different operating systems keeps one on ones toes

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I prefer the Gnome desktop, rather than the Unity desktop. So I use Ubuntu Classic.

+ Reply to Thread