+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mr. Mag, Stay doing what you are doing. I like your themes and your passion ... Smartphone News forum

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5

Advertisement

Mr. Mag,

Stay doing what you are doing. I like your themes and your passion shines through.

Android phones are just as guilty as being obsolete in a year, but what do you expect from an OS that can afford to be priced so cheaply and eventually given away for free with an contract extension.

If buying that new Blackberry makes you happy and lets you expand your side business a little more, I say go for it. There is nothing wrong with buying what you like, and if it gives you that spark of excitement when you create something out of nothing, I say you are doing just fine.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Oh dread!

I got a case of the Pinstack double posting blues.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    You could try themes for ADW launcher, go launcher ex (what I use right now), panda home, launcher pro, and I think there's more.

I see ADW and launcher pro together, so I guess you could build one theme for both. They sell for,.99 to 1.99.
    I don't know what's involved, but seeing a thread for custom splash screens on xda, there's a market for stuff. Now if they're willing to pay I dunno. Splashes are easy, but getthing a theme isn't, don't see anyone doing special ones. At least not at xda. I'm sure QNX will have something like launchers.

Anywho, I see what you mean by the money thing.

captain_tinker no está en línea Stack level 2
    wow, seriously? You are all going to wait? Ok, how's this for a scenario... We get near the release of these new QNX phones, and already there are rumors of the NEXT new thing coming out. Then everyone starts complaining, "Oh, this next model is what the first one SHOULD have been, dang RIM, grumble, grumble..." You know that's whats going to happen. If everyone waited for the next new thing to come out, we'd never get anything because we'd all be waiting for the next one. Sheesh... Pick one and stick with it for a while for goodness sake, and stop your incessant complaining.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm glad to see the new QNX coming out in their phones but sales of RIM's phones will be slim until it does come out. Who is going to buy an obsolete BB unless they absolutely HAVE to before the new os is available.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    @captain_tinker, well I can't say as I disagree with you I can't afford to chase and upgrade every time a new smartphone comes out. I've had my 9700 for awhile and really happy with it. I would upgrade to the 9900 because I want the keyboard and the touch screen option. QNX might be the thing but I'm not paying 500.00 to find out

@jblackfish - my 9700 was pretty much obsolete right after I bought it as well, because they came out with the 9780 soon after tmo got it and it was pulled from the shelves just like the 8900 was

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Every device is obsolete in s short time, hardwarewise.

As for os, well nowadays its common for devices to at least run 1 upgraded os per life cyle. There are a few exceptions, but 7 released within a short times span is not the norm. Knowing that's the case when you release them is dumb. I can't upgrade every year, so I think its important.

This, to me, seems to rob these devices of value. Will there be legacy support? Does the lack of upgraded os affect its lifespan? Will developers put any effort into an os that's due to be replaced in a short time? Immediate value is what you'd expect from a bb, but I think these devices drop in value (as operational devices) the minute QNX drops. If you can't upgrade you better hope development keeps going, it like the paltry apps you do get. Apps are important, and lets not forget how long the bb store took to get to a billion (if the report was accurate) apps sold.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    It annoys me that you see Apps developed for the Iphone, and Android but never for BB! I also get frustrated when reading reviews like all the bad ones in the press for the Playbook, then the press reports that no-one's buying it Duh! Yet the Ipad comes out with problems which never get reported, instead there are comments about how great it is, lets not mention it doesn't multi-task, comes with no accessories, is expensive etc, then report how every one wants them do the guys in the media have shares in Apple? Same with the Iphone everyone likes it, very little bad press about the early days of no cut and paste, dropped calls 'cos it wont multi-task, (don't tell me you can JB cos then it is no longer the standard operating system) took several software upgrades.

RIM comes out with a new operating system vs 7 which in comparison to the earlier version looks like a major improvement, the phones have more memory (wasn't that something we were all screaming about?) they have a 1.2 Ghz processor, pretty fast by any standard, can have Microsd expansion cards, replaceable batteries, (and will probably require less booting, even 6.0 very rarely has battery pulls). Yet what do we get, oh it's not QNX, you cannot upgrade to QNX when it comes out, come on give RIM a break, lets see what the phones are like with the OS 7. If it takes a year or 2 for QNX to come out, the phone design could be totally different, the batteries may have improved and grown smaller, processor speed could have double, there may be higher transmission rates which will require different attenas, newer screen designs are on their way which are cheaper and more resiliant, all manner of things could make you want to upgrade overe and above a new operating system. Look how much things have changed over the last 5 years.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    It annoys me that you see Apps developed for the Iphone, and Android but never for BB! I also get frustrated when reading reviews like all the bad ones in the press for the Playbook, then the press reports that no-one's buying it Duh! Yet the Ipad comes out with problems which never get reported, instead there are comments about how great it is, lets not mention it doesn't multi-task, comes with no accessories, is expensive etc, then report how every one wants them do the guys in the media have shares in Apple? Same with the Iphone everyone likes it, very little bad press about the early days of no cut and paste, dropped calls 'cos it wont multi-task, (don't tell me you can JB cos then it is no longer the standard operating system) took several software upgrades.

RIM comes out with a new operating system vs 7 which in comparison to the earlier version looks like a major improvement, the phones have more memory (wasn't that something we were all screaming about?) they have a 1.2 Ghz processor, pretty fast by any standard, can have Microsd expansion cards, replaceable batteries, (and will probably require less booting, even 6.0 very rarely has battery pulls). Yet what do we get, oh it's not QNX, you cannot upgrade to QNX when it comes out, come on give RIM a break, lets see what the phones are like with the OS 7. If it takes a year or 2 for QNX to come out, the phone design could be totally different, the batteries may have improved and grown smaller, processor speed could have double, there may be higher transmission rates which will require different attenas, newer screen designs are on their way which are cheaper and more resiliant, all manner of things could make you want to upgrade overe and above a new operating system. Look how much things have changed over the last 5 years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123