+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...rom-the-iPhone... Smartphone News forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Article: Jobs: Why Apple banned Flash from the iPhone

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Thanks for bringing this the the front page. It's a great topic for discussion and impacts everyone on PS weather they believe it or not.

In another Thread there has been some great points made about the differences and I think it's important we just don't rely on Headline snippets to make our decisions about what may be best for our own needs.

It's an interesting and hot topic. I'm already committed to the idea HTML5 is hear to stay and is already wide spread enough we are no longer handicapped by the lack of flash support on Mobile devices. Oddly enough there is another PS thread where IHateMyTreo has posted about returning his Incredible for various reasons. Truth is his post is very related to this one because in the Mobile Platform all things are related to the end user experience and it's a delicate balance between all the hardware and software on a Mobile device.

Flash is not our friend when mobile. I'm by no means saying Flash is horrible as a product, I'm saying it's not our best foot forward and HTML5 is better in many ways while we are Mobile.

Last edited by srl7741; 05-02-2010 at 12:14 PM.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I think it should ultimately be the user's choice of whether to use the technology or not. Yes it is Apple's device and yes, but why would you want to restrict users from being able to fully utilize the capabilities of the device? To me it equates to Apple's seeming need for totalitarian control of the product.

I do agree with Jobs that the net should be open and that HTML 5 shows great promise for web development, but Flash isn't going to disappear. It's still going to be around for a while and until HTML 5 becomes the standard, assuming it does, there should be full support for the current technologies. Apple is taking the same hardline stances AT&T was by making the business decisions that they know are going to anger customers. Why would you intentionally make your only source of income angry?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    MS pop over to a few other related Articles and Posts on the topic. I think you will find that Flash does restrict the user and it's a closed system. Your correct when you say Flash is not going away but HTML5 is already an adopted standard. Google and Microsoft have already committed to using it. HTML5 spans all platforms with no extra plug-ins and does not require the user to do anything. It's seamless to the user.

Flash is like it's own sub-platform running on our mobile platform and is closed. So I could make a Flash Based App and put it on iPhone, Andriod and a Windows Mobile Phone and it would be all the same experience. I would not be able to tap into each of those unique platform UI experience. We choose a Mobile Device in part because we like it's features and UI.

I would not like buying a new Andriod Device only to find it's just like the Windows Mobile Device because I'm using a Flash App or Flash based web site. If I buy an Andriod Device I want to use the Andriod as it was intended to be. HTML5 delivers that experience with no restrictions or compromises like battery drain or taxing of the hardware.

It does not matter how outdated your hardware or software is with HTML5 where using Flash will require a set Standard.
    I really think it's important to look deeper into the difference and cause and effect of each.

Here is a link to the Original Note on Flash
    Last edited by srl7741; 05-02-2010 at 11:56 AM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    It's amazing sometimes how we fear or get uneasy about change. Adobe knows this and are playing on it to make consumers feel uneasy, or that somehow they will be locked or duped into something that's closed. When infact we are already behind bars with Adobe.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I'm not saying that Flash is open or closed, only that Apple telling users they can't have access to a widely used and available web technology is ridiculous. Until HTML 5 becomes the de-facto standard for web development, I believe users should have access to Flash in the interim. Actually, I believe users should have access to any and all web standards. Specifically if Apple doesn't have do anything more then allow another company to produce the product.

+ Reply to Thread