+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Catside, with all due respect, why not refute the points? SEEMS (not saying it is, ... Smartphone News forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Catside, with all due respect, why not refute the points? SEEMS (not saying it is, just looks like) a weak rebuttal to valid statements.

I read somewhere iPhone fans hated it when that was done to them........

Just sayin

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Catside, with all due respect, why not refute the points? SEEMS (not saying it is, just looks like) a weak rebuttal to valid statements.

I read somewhere iPhone fans hated it when that was done to them........

Just sayin
    that's fair.i just don't have the patience to dispute all the claims. i never say anything bad about android it just seems android peeps always lash out at...well let's go ahead and get it out...fanboys ;-) it feels kinda like the little brother syndrom. big brother doesn't feel like he needs to defend himself against the little brother...but here are a few:

multiple manufacturers...that could be a good thing i'll give you that..i guess a good thing about a single manufacturer is that we know wer're getting a quality device every time. android manufacturers are pushing these things out every month or so and some are good...some are not.

free standards...good good good. i don't know enough about this to dispute it but all i know is open source =good

free customizations even without rooting...this may be a good point for the casual user who doesn't root/jb but there are very few of those on here and i really can't remember how much customization you can do on a stock android.

cheaper avenues for movies, music, and apps....wut? i don't know what avenues you speak of but my stuff is as cheap as yours....no i'm not talking about itunes.

Cheaper storage ( how much is it for the largest storage on an iPhone vs the equivalent storage on the nexus prime? not to mention an sd card slot to further expand the storage) ....sigh,getting tired now...399 for 64gb and no you can't yank it out.

Gorilla glass on recent models for android phones... i had two android phones with gorilla glass...no screen protector and didn't have any noticeable scratches. my iphone has jesus glass with no screen protector and no scratches on it either.

upgradable/removable batteries on all android phones...ok this one worried me when i went to iphone. every phone i have ever owned i carried a spare battery in my front left pocket for protection and used it quiet often. when i got my iphone i got one of those duracell charger thingys because i was scared. i don't even know where it's at now. this iphone has the longest battery life of any smart phone i have ever used. i get home at night and i usually have over 50% charge left and i plug every night....so go ahead and remove your batteries to un-freeze your phones...

ICS without rooting...ignorent to this....don't know what it means

Flash support ( yes I know we dont NEED flash but its still nice to have around seeing as the majority of the internet still uses it.)...sigh...

Full multitasking support... what do you mean by "full"? iphones multi task too....don't know if it's as full as android...

Custom Roms....custom roms???? why??? so it won't be as glitchy or won't freeze up as bad?...o yeah,bench testing...

More options to fit every budget...i4's are 99 bucks all the way up to a 64gb i4s for $399....o and i forgot,you can get a i3gs for free
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I think it boils down to three demographics,

1- the ones that don't have a lot of money and can't afford(or justify in these times) a $199 device. There's Androids low end handsets for that. Now that being said the iP4 is now $99, given its only 8GB and that's still a lot of money to a lot of people right now when there's 2-3 Androids that are free on most every carrier. Also in this area are the parents that have their family in a family plan. While the parents may splurge for the $199 device I almost certain that the kids will get the free or $49 one.

2- The guys that love to tinker and play with phones and electronics, that's Androids market, Giving them the ability to tinker right out of the box. Some will cite jailbreak the iPhone but having experience in both sides nothing will give you the ability to cause a thermo nuclear meltdown like a android. Then pick up all the pieces and start all over. It's fun, I use to enjoy it but I don't have time for it anymore.

3- The last one, the ones that just want a device to work, out of the box, no set up . No hassles. They need it to work with their PC for pictures and music. They want a great experience that isn't a hassle and in the hands of power users can be what ever you want it to.
    For these folks they are too busy with other things and tinkering doesn't interest them. They don't need to change things every two weeks. They want something that works. looks nice and while it may not be the top dog on the charts, that's not what matters. These are the ones that want it all but don't want the hassle of 15 different accounts. One place to shop for everything. These are the Apple folks.

While a very genralized assessment of the smartphone world. I think it covers 85% of who uses smartphones. It's inevitable that Android will become the market share leader. Anyone who disputes that claim is living in a dream world. You're talking about comparing a OS to Phone manufacturer. Company to Company Apple is the King of the Hill. It will take a huge leap from someone to bring them off that Mountain.
    raton and jfcooley like this.

BHP, I had to read that TWICE, and I have to say I (for once, and hopefully not the last) agree with you.
    raton likes this.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    I expected much worse lol

To catstide:
    I wanted to clear a few things up
    Full multitasking support, in truth iPhone has a limited form of it.

Cheaper Avenues for media I was making a direct comparision to iTunes seeing as most people
    that have iPods or iProducts use I tunes

Storage, yes storage it used be one of the biggest things iFans would use in debates now its not an issue unless u wanna pay more for it on an iphone so yes its relevant

the gorilla glass also relevant... do you have any idea how many iPhones with jesus glass...er I mean acrylic Ive seen cracked chipped or shattered? do a google search and you'll see what i mean its more common than youd like to think, and expensive to fix.

My battery lasts just about as long as yours does and I have a faster phone , not to mention I upgraded the battery and get even more life, so now I have a super long lasting battery and stock one.

ICS stands for Internet connection Sharing, basically you turn ur 3g or 4g phone into a 3g or 4g modem for ur laptop in emergencies, this is also att's fault too so...moving on

custom roms help people streamline a customization, if you want speed, more power, different themes, experimental OS's. Its purpose wasnt to fix anything glitchy, if anything you may get some glitchy stuff when you experiment, but my sensation was great out of the box so I didnt need to put a custom rom. My custom rom is one based on the stock, which means its basically tweaked a lil and lightened from bloatware that I dont use that every phone manufacture likes to put on their phones, but other than that it looks and acts pretty much the same as stock.

now on to BHP
    Hi buddy how ya been?
    Yet again you give a clear and to the point retort. i agree with just about everything you said ( I know weird I never thought Id say that ;-D lol) but I would like to point out that in the aspect of good to go out of the box, Yes android can be tweaked and rebuilt to your hearts content but none of it is necessary if you dont want, most modern androids ( I cant speak for the early ones, cuz I dont know) are ready to go out of the box. Yes you have to set up or sign into an account or 6 but the same is true for iPhone, or does the iPhone now read ur mind for ur email and iTunes account info ;-). And as far as comparison, while much of what I said is between iPhone and android phones, apple is iOS, it is their ecosystem and many of the things I point out as flaws bother me because the whole company is run that way, IMO this is just like airport security, you can either be locked down, watched and searched giving up God given freedom to be safe or you can be free and have to deal with the dangers of the real world. I choose freedom. Thats just how I look at it.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    I expected much worse lol

To catstide:
    I wanted to clear a few things up
    Full multitasking support, in truth iPhone has a limited form of it.

Cheaper Avenues for media I was making a direct comparision to iTunes seeing as most people
    that have iPods or iProducts use I tunes

Storage, yes storage it used be one of the biggest things iFans would use in debates now its not an issue unless u wanna pay more for it on an iphone so yes its relevant

the gorilla glass also relevant... do you have any idea how many iPhones with jesus glass...er I mean acrylic Ive seen cracked chipped or shattered? do a google search and you'll see what i mean its more common than youd like to think, and expensive to fix.

My battery lasts just about as long as yours does and I have a faster phone , not to mention I upgraded the battery and get even more life, so now I have a super long lasting battery and stock one.

ICS stands for Internet connection Sharing, basically you turn ur 3g or 4g phone into a 3g or 4g modem for ur laptop in emergencies, this is also att's fault too so...moving on

custom roms help people streamline a customization, if you want speed, more power, different themes, experimental OS's. Its purpose wasnt to fix anything glitchy, if anything you may get some glitchy stuff when you experiment, but my sensation was great out of the box so I didnt need to put a custom rom. My custom rom is one based on the stock, which means its basically tweaked a lil and lightened from bloatware that I dont use that every phone manufacture likes to put on their phones, but other than that it looks and acts pretty much the same as stock.
    i don't know what you expected...as i have said,i have never bashed android,i guess i've just defended the iphone.

multi tasking...you really didn't explain your point. you just basically said mine is better than yours.

cheaper avenues???what are they? are they only open to android users? is itunes only open to iphone/ipod owners? seems you're taking a jab at itunes,not iphone.

storage...i do wish apple had removable storage but if you want 64gb,iphone wins this one. just google 64gb micro sd and look at the articles that pop up first...worlds first(prices and availability are yet to be determined)...will smartphones support it...won't work...

gorilla vs jesus...maybe.i'm not sure. i have seen countless kids carrying around androids with spiderwebbed screens but haven't seen anyone with a cracked iphone.could be many reasons for that...

battery...if your battery lasts as long as mine you would not need an extra battery or the need to spend extra $$$ on an upgraded battery.

ICS...as far as i know the iphone has to be jailbroken to do this unless you pay your carrier extra to do this. the carriers let android do this for free? interesting...

custom roms...custom roms are cool,i guess. kinda like false teeth are cool but if you don't need em it's even cooler.

Catside- I'm at work so I can only hit one point that's short. Storage.
    Although a 64 sd is currently expensive, wont always be. Moreover we can swap 32, 16 etc at will.
    As well if larger sd cards become available we can use those as well.

Androids are coming out with mire storage built in. One benefit if mulitple manufacturers, not limited to waiting on one companyto update model if storage is sorely needed. Even on my tab I can use a USB drive. Not ideal at all but its useful when needed.

Anyway, think that was hus point on storage. I could be wrong.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    well,like i said i wish iphone had removable storage BUT the 64gb sd isn't even available right now and if it was would your phone support it? by the time 64gb sd is available and affordable the iphone may have an option for a 128gb model....and if you have plenty of storage swapping cards or USB(which is cool,i didn't know about that)is not needed.
    bottom line for me is on friday i will have 64gb of storage on my smartphone.premium price...premium product.

the point of multiple manufacturers is like i said before. androids are getting pushed out every few weeks.some are good and some are not. the good part of multiple manufacturers is of course competition pushes better development.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    i don't know what you expected...as i have said,i have never bashed android,i guess i've just defended the iphone.

multi tasking...you really didn't explain your point. you just basically said mine is better than yours.

cheaper avenues???what are they? are they only open to android users? is itunes only open to iphone/ipod owners? seems you're taking a jab at itunes,not iphone.

storage...i do wish apple had removable storage but if you want 64gb,iphone wins this one. just google 64gb micro sd and look at the articles that pop up first...worlds first(prices and availability are yet to be determined)...will smartphones support it...won't work...

gorilla vs jesus...maybe.i'm not sure. i have seen countless kids carrying around androids with spiderwebbed screens but haven't seen anyone with a cracked iphone.could be many reasons for that...

battery...if your battery lasts as long as mine you would not need an extra battery or the need to spend extra $$$ on an upgraded battery.

ICS...as far as i know the iphone has to be jailbroken to do this unless you pay your carrier extra to do this. the carriers let android do this for free? interesting...

custom roms...custom roms are cool,i guess. kinda like false teeth are cool but if you don't need em it's even cooler.

First off as far as what I expected thats not what I meant and it wasnt directed at you but w/e

Multitasking
    this has been known for a long time if you lack the time to do a simple google search to find out here is one I picked at random
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/16307..._disappointing

Cheaper avenues, no you can get them to work on iPhone but I did say that comment was in regards to iTunes and the fact that most people that use iProducts use iTunes specifically so yea

Storage
    the nexus prime wont cost any extra to have the 32Gb built in storage with the ability to use an SD storage card, and FYI the 64Gb card will need to be run on exFat format, which the android platform supports, there is already confirmation of this thru the use of the ones given out to reviewers, remember google is ur friend.

Battery
    I said my stock battery lasts as long as yours, I never said that I use my phone the same way, Im not always in the position to charge my phone for days at a time seeing as Im on the move alot so dont assume everyone is like you. Not to mention even on the iPhone the more intensive use you put it thru the faster ur battery drains so heavy smartphone users will always need more power.

ICS
    As far as you know the iPhone can be jailbroken to do this? So your saying that to use ICS period you have to void your warranty? Nice, it comes standard on android just like it did on BB without having to JB or Root anything. Of course there is also the secondary part of it, Some carriers will go out of their way to lock that feature on a phone that should support it or charge extra for it, that sucks but thats not a device limitation for android, it is for iPhone which is why you cant do it right out of the box, and why you have to Jailbreak and possibly get bumped up to a higher data plan by ur carrier if they find out.

Custom roms
    thats just kinda sad that you have nothing better than to try to make fun of it. Again you can streamline ur device and tweak it. There are plenty of reasons why someone would want a custom rom , but the beauty is you dont have to have one if you dont want, kinda goes back to that choice and freedom thing I was telling you about. There are many pros and cons to doing it.

Multiple manufactures
    I wanted to bring this one back up, this is good for the same reasons that we dont all drive Kias around We like choice, we like to find something that is appealing to us, Not everyone really wants to be exactly like everyone else in their choice of personal items. And the fact that you have many makers results in better and better quality products, Competition between the big wigs is good for us consumers. Just one manufacturer doesnt guarantee a quality product, it means youre stuck with whatever they dish out.

More options to fit every budget "i4's are 99 bucks all the way up to a 64gb i4s for $399....o and i forgot,you can get a i3gs for free" <- thats not many cheap options, thats like 3 options vs how many across all the carriers?
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yep, BHP knows his stuff, and has experience with both operating systems.

Catside, it's not a big brother syndrome. It's just that when the G1 released, the iPhone had a huge lead on Android in hardware specs, screen size, way more apps, and a huge cult following. Most of the so-called "experts" never gave Android a chance. The iPhone was King and Apple fans took every opportunity to let that be known. Now the tables have turned quite a bit. Android is now an unstoppable force leaving dead companies in its wake. Now Android runs on the superior hardware, and has the big beautiful screens. Now iPhone users pretend these areas don't matter anymore. Could it be because Android owns those areas now? That's what burns us. Right Jay?

The iPhone fan would be wise to avoid any debates on features and functionality. It's because that would favor Android by a landslide! None of the current mobile operating systems can offer what Android does. None! Please don't kid yourself. I was using WiFi file transfer and tethering more than 2 years ago. Live widgets, great notification system, Google apps, flash and more. More open. More choice. Just more. IOS looks like an app drawer to us. Especially when we have live feeds and such floating across our home screens. Now the iPhone fan's #1 knock on Android? Polish.

They claim IOS is so much more polished than Android, and that Android lags. Back in February that argument had some truth to it. IOS appeared to run more smoothly than Android. Unless you flashed a custom ROM that is. But with recent phones like the EVO 3D, Sensation, and Droid Bionic, the lag they spoke of is rarely seen these days. And don't get me started on the Galaxy S2! It's like Android was dropped in oil It's so slick and fast. You can see plenty of youtube vids of it smoking the iPhone 4 in side by sides. The iPhone IOS user's response to these vids? "Apple's next offering would surely destroy everything in sight". We shall see what the 4S has to offer soon. Of course we already know, it's nothing major.

The "true multitasking" that RemyKirin mentioned is real. This comment is already long enough, so I'll just say this. Android was born a multitasking os. It was just put in IOS this year as a add-on feature. HUGE difference.
    Last edited by rdills; 10-10-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    jfcooley likes this.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Rdills, the man. 'nuff said !

PIN/ID
    wut?
    I concede. I will start using google. I will but a new android phone. I will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    I concede. I will start using google. I will but a new android phone. I will like it.
    We do offer an excellent dental plan. No retirement though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12