+ Reply to Thread

(Background: as you may or may not be aware, earlier in the year the US ... Smartphone News forum

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional

First they came for the file-sharing domains

Advertisement

(Background: as you may or may not be aware, earlier in the year the US Department of Homeland Security began seizing domain names of various filesharing websites. Suddenly the agency tasked with protecting the United States from further terrorist attacks was now seizing domain names to combat copyright infringement. Without further adieu ado, I bring you "First they came for the file-sharing websites….)
    IPRC_Seized_2010_11.jpg
    First, they came for the file-sharing websites, because they were infringing on copyright. (I didn't care, because I didn't share files).

Then, they came for the illegal offshore pharmacies, because they were facilitating the import of dangerous generic pharmaceuticals that massively undercut the name brand companies. (I didn't care because I didn't buy generic drugs)

These first choices may have seemed odd, because there were far worse things out there on the internet to go after. However, since nobody cared too much about the file-sharing sites and the illegal generic pharmacies, they figured it was safe to take things up a notch….

So even worse things were gone after…..

Next, they came for the terrorist websites. And since criticizing the government was itself considered an act of terrorism, it meant the end for everything ranging from WikiLeaks to LewRockell.com (I didn't mind, because I didn't follow those websites).

By now, the economic malaise that began in the first decade of the new century was well into its second decade and the culprit for this was clearly known to be financial speculators, short sellers and contrarians. So then they came for the websites that disseminated unofficial economic data. Bye bye ShadowStats, Zerohedge and a whole host of others. (But I didn't care, because I was still sore from losing all my money in the housing bubble crash)

But "illegal dissent" was still rife on the internet (perhaps even more so, for some reason….)

Because constitutionalists, legal scholars and other dangerous cranks were sewing sowing dissent and challenging the actions of Homeland Security, they came for the websites that facilitated "criminal online assembly", "unlawful collusion" and "non-sanctioned collaboration". That was the end of Facebook, Twitter and a host of others. (Not that I minded, I was never much into all those "social" websites…)

Then they needed to do something about websites that provided "tools to access criminal content".

That's when they came for Google. (That was ok, I had all the stuff I accessed bookmarked anyway)

Then they came for my neighbor's website, because they said his blog was pernicious and unauthorized. (He was kind of weird, so it didn't really bother me).

Finally, they came for me. (And nobody else cared)

Because nothing had stopped them before and they could do whatever they want.

Written by Mark Jeftovic Cnet
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hmm 1984 George Orwell . Will it go this far?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    What about a "Brave New Worls" (I think that was the title, been a couple of decades since my english teacher made me read that). All praise Ford.

Zo

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley another brilliant book, whilst on the subject should also look at Ira Levin This Perfect Day. The thing is they all predict government control in the future (well at least when they were written 1984 for example was way in the future). Others such as On the Beach, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, all have similar worries, that the government will eventually control us. When the internet took off some of these worries dissapeared for a while since it allows for free flow of information (correct/truthful or otherwise), and ever since them governments world wide have tried to control it. We are all watched in one way or another (security cameras, speed check and cameras at traffic lights, monitoring of cell phone useage, internet useage, location infrormation based on your cell, what programs you watch etc) all being done in the name of marketing. Now with governments stepping to control content in the name of protecting the children, or ensuring competition in businesses. We have to stay aware, I do not look forward to the day when computers are implanted into us, technology will keep moving forward!!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hey Boomer you´ve got me spinning for an adequate comment on your thread, but unfortunately and sadly I´m lost for anything positive to state, except for the historical fact that everything has cycles...I fear the modern age version of the dark ages is coming back and creeping into our hard earned democracies and painfully achieved civil liberties. I fear for future generations when they´ll be faced with this mascaraded fascism... and then blame us for allowing it to happen !

@Delfim http://forums.pinstack.com/f277/pent...7/#post1284233
    See if this makes you sleep any better.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^ ... I was aware of this back then, and actually we had great "cafe" discussions amongst friends. Why ? Because these de facto procedures then rub off into NATO countries (Portugal actually implemented similar systems back in 2008 and 2009). It´s obvious that whatever the US Big Daddy does all others tend to follow - France used to stand up against these things, but since Sarkozy (Bush´s good friend) came in as president, we´ve seen the way the "Fraternite, Liberte ...etc" screams of the French Revolution have gone...
    The trouble with these policy changes and usurpation of rights go mostly unnoticed by the general public (and mostly acclaim these measures as great and necessary) and they vote quite happily without any questions asked. Worse, Congress who represent "The People" are a bunch of conniving fascists that go along as long as their interests are safeguarded (for the best of the people and the nation....oh-hum!). I don´t recall any one on the Hill ever standing up or complaining...mind you, I´m out here in Portugal and although I try to keep tabs on US politics (as much as EU, UK and especially now, China), I coulkd easily have missed it.
    When the US Government can rally Portugal (Durão Barroso - prime minister of Portugal at the time and now the EU President) Tony Blair of the UK, Sarkozy of France, the PM of Spain and others to a summit in the Azores for an agreement on going to Iraq based on (now we know, but we also at the time protested because we knew it to be a great fabrication) on the need to destroy weapons of mass destruction, what can they do now ? Nevemind this - what are they doing already we don´t know anything about ?
    I´ve lost sleep over these matters a few years ago. Now I´m part of the "general" apathetic, consenting public. Who cares anymore ? it´s gone over the edge and it´s going to get worse.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    The biggest problem is the people in power not reading what they sign, and of course not listing to those that voted them in, that's why the Republicans were voted out and the Dem's in, then recently the Dem's were voted out. The worst thing of all is that these guys on the hill refuse to understand what people want, and I am not talking about partisan politics. I agree with Delfim, although I do wonder about the public being apathetic, if the Tea Party has done nothing else it has stirred up debate, and mobilized people on both sides. I believe things will get better, just wait, when the youth have their internet restricted they will be up in arms, 'cos they can't stay in the house playing videogames and talking on Facebook. So much more is done online now.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ our hope always rests with the inconformed youth. We were that way too.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Ah my friends I used to lose sleep over things going on around me I did not agree with back in the day. Then I had 4 children and was sickened by the thoughts of what they may be facing when they become my age. Now I have 13 grandchildren and the things that we are facing, and the thoughts of what they might face when they grow up frightens me greatly. I'm afraid there really isn't any way to right the ship, I pray I'm wrong but we live among greed and control freaks who control and always want more

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I guess it's my turn to say something very thoughtful and profound. I mean after-all, I did attend the Kanye West University of idiocracy online.

Thus, all I gotta say is that "President Obama doesn't care about black people" wait, did I use the wrong president? eh who cares...

Seriously speaking though I do believe that if we are where we are now is due to our own wrongdoing. We cannot sit behind our computers, smartphones, laptops, whichever high end fancy device we have and point fingers... We must hold accountability and accept it. Do I fear for our future generation? No, because just like the Dark Ages there was a renaissance and I am sure our future generation will succeed on what we have so horribly failed. So here's to our future generation, take us as a true example of greed. End of smartassology.
    Last edited by raton; 01-21-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

I must say I'm really pleased with the thought provoking responses here. Me personally, I sleep with an aluminum salad bowl on my head to keep them from reading my thoughts. Thank you everyone for contributing.

+ Reply to Thread