+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.php?r=2420-Faith... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Editorial: Faith, Conjecture and...Atheism !

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    In regards to our devices, I agree.

And only in regards to devices.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...we are talking devices, OS's, admittedly !

What does the fact that 35% of iPhone buyers want i5 sight unseen?
    I think that's a bit much. Hell, I'd even say its cult like.

Honestly, I find it scary. I'd post it there, but this makes it more relevant.

Is there anyone in that group here?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^it fits perfectly, doesn´t it ? Paradigms...

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Had to read this 2 or 3 times before I understood it, stop making my brain work Del!! Seriously though I do not believe that anyone can truly judge without prejudice. The majority of people are drawn to a gadget/device by what they read and I believe in the case of Apple what their friends say along with the tactile feel of the device. There are Androids out there with far higher specifications than the Iphone, yet people will not accept it. To choose to upgrade without even seeing the device is scary. Yet Steve Jobs has managed to have a following albeit small to start and now enormous ever since the first Apple computer came out. I personally am no better than those that choose Apple because it is Apple, I choose not to use Apple because it is Apple, going against the trend (although I did succumb on the Ipod, and I bought my wife an Ipad2, slowly moving to the other side).
    How many people will admit to being part of the cult?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Dave, Jay brought the iPhone discussion to this thread, and it fits with the message I tried to deliver here, but regarding RIM and the recent good articles by RogerG and Mark Stone.I dunno, I felt like saying something about all the excuses, promises etc. and our always expectant posture.
    I´m glad my article got you thinking... I hope it does it for all other stackers too.

Glad you posted this, really.

Honestly it makes me think more about fanboyism than holding on despite what is going on.

And since I'm (hopefully) entering the ministry soon(ish) I automatically took the defense on first blush.

But really, RIM is struggling in the US, and unless something changes, all the hope in the world isn't hope (typed hope, changed to Google, sign?) to help.
    Admitting RIM makes good devices isn't an issue, holding on without screaming from the rooftops for change is wrong.

Just see the damn devices before you buy them......

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    In the end they are just phones, admittedly it's like being able to carry HAL (2001 space odyssey ) around with you, but we are all to faithful to what we have. I defend RIM, why I don't know, probably because today they are the underdog. The trouble is people are becoming too divisive, weather it is about politics or gadgets. Look at the way people will listen to a program or speech, then listen to the talking heads discussing it, it is often difficult to believe they listened to the same speech. There is no longer a grey area, all is black or white. Take the reviews of the Playbook, hardly any were good, yet the Playbook is a great tool, I have compared it again and again with the IPad2, and the IPad, the Playbook is better in many instances, not all, but it has enough going for it for me to prefer it to the IPad2, of course it depends what you use it for. If I read the reviews though I wonder why I even considered buying it. So how many people have been put off just by someone who is either receiving freebies from the a manufacturer, or just is a fanboy of a specific system.
    At least here on Pinstack there are enough people who are willing to try new things and provide an honest opinion based on their own experiences, and make statements recommending the items, but adding that whatever you do you should try before you buy.
    So the take away from this: Join Pinstack and read the reviews, narrow down your choice and then make the judgement on what suites you best.

Amen

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well you absolutely correct dave on the their just phones. It makes no difference to me who has what, whether it be iPhone, Droid, BlackBerry, whatever. To each his own and they have their reasons for such. I think I could be perfectly happy with a Droid or an iphone, my choice for a long time has been BlackBerry. If I can get my hands on a 9900 it will continue to be so. My 9700 has been the best of the best for me to date. Thanks for the article del, and the comments everyone

I am not an atheist, but I am a believer in objectivity. Every (or, at least, most) phone(s) have a home. Great editorial Del!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow. Such a provocative post, Del! This is what makes PinStack such a great place......the ability for one to speak (or write as the case may be) one's mind and have others engage in a polite, educated and intelligent manner. No bashing or browbeating here!

I think back on the 5+ years I've been a member here, the Stackers that have come and gone. There were those that aren't here anymore who saw the writing on the wall years ago that RIM was losing its stronghold, yet I and others remained steadfast in our devotion to the platform (I'm a stubborn ol' coot!)......only about a month-and-a-half ago did I finally loosen my grip and let an iPhone take the place of something that's been a part of me for the better part of ten years.

Maybe it was just the particular device I chose (always had to have the latest and greatest, don'tcha know!), but to me RIM had lost the solidness and quality that kept me in the coming back for more. For the first time in almost ten years, I had to go through four devices to finally get what I thought was an acceptable piece of equipment, and even then, I wasn't as satisfied as I'd been before.

Why did I choose iPhone? As I said before, I like a solid, quality, well-built device. iPhone (in my opinion) had that reputation more so than any Android device available to me on AT&T. Not to say there aren't high-quality 'Droids on the market, but to me, the Android technology was still too "new" for me to go in that direction and it wasn't something I felt comfortable doing.

This is not to say I won't return to BlackBerry some day. It was my first love, and as I've said in other threads, still tugs at my heartstrings. I'm one of those rooting for RIM, holding out hope that they'll rebound and take an already great platform and incorporate new technologies and designs that make the whole smartphone community stand up and take notice.

Having said all that, and to go along with Del's excellent editorial, I'd say I'm more of an agnostic.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Had to read this 2 or 3 times before I understood it, stop making my brain work Del!! Seriously though I do not believe that anyone can truly judge without prejudice. The majority of people are drawn to a gadget/device by what they read and I believe in the case of Apple what their friends say along with the tactile feel of the device. There are Androids out there with far higher specifications than the Iphone, yet people will not accept it. To choose to upgrade without even seeing the device is scary. Yet Steve Jobs has managed to have a following albeit small to start and now enormous ever since the first Apple computer came out. I personally am no better than those that choose Apple because it is Apple, I choose not to use Apple because it is Apple, going against the trend (although I did succumb on the Ipod, and I bought my wife an Ipad2, slowly moving to the other side).
    How many people will admit to being part of the cult?
    My issue with the iPhone is iTunes. I dislike the control in which users must have iTunes in order to get apps. I see Apple now as Microsoft was in the past. People criticized Microsoft for their practices, such as installing IE on Windows (and the EU stamped out that practice). However, the forced use of iTunes sounds no different to me than pre-installed IE on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    In the end they are just phones, admittedly it's like being able to carry HAL (2001 space odyssey ) around with you, but we are all to faithful to what we have. I defend RIM, why I don't know, probably because today they are the underdog. The trouble is people are becoming too divisive, weather it is about politics or gadgets. Look at the way people will listen to a program or speech, then listen to the talking heads discussing it, it is often difficult to believe they listened to the same speech. There is no longer a grey area, all is black or white. Take the reviews of the Playbook, hardly any were good, yet the Playbook is a great tool, I have compared it again and again with the IPad2, and the IPad, the Playbook is better in many instances, not all, but it has enough going for it for me to prefer it to the IPad2, of course it depends what you use it for. If I read the reviews though I wonder why I even considered buying it. So how many people have been put off just by someone who is either receiving freebies from the a manufacturer, or just is a fanboy of a specific system.
    At least here on Pinstack there are enough people who are willing to try new things and provide an honest opinion based on their own experiences, and make statements recommending the items, but adding that whatever you do you should try before you buy.
    So the take away from this: Join Pinstack and read the reviews, narrow down your choice and then make the judgement on what suites you best.
    This is excellent advice.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I too am a RIM fan, but I too find myself wondering where their quality and standards have gone to recently. Used to be, they were a phone I could swear by, now I just hear people swear @ them. RIM as mentioned in many of the "letters" need to get back to the basics, and stop over-developing the things that dont matter and focus on what does. I am a part of a group that has been doing some things different inside the BZ, we shall see what if any changes result!.

+ Reply to Thread