+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-uphill-battle... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: BlackBerry's PlayBook tablet may face uphill battle

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I went out last weekend to the buy the IPad 2 for my wife (she wants to replace her IPod classic) + she likes the functionality of the IPad. Since I am in Canada and the IPad 2 had just been released there were long queues, needless to say we did buy one, and now the Apple store is sold out. It was truly surprising to me how many children below the age of 16 were getting these units (and the more expensive models).
    Why I am writing this, for the simple reason that although I am a BB fan, I simply cannot see that the PlayBook will receive similar enthusiasm. I am sure that Apple does not supply their stores with enough goods simply in order to have long queues of people brilliant marketing, make the item look that much more wanted, and gets on the news programs free advertizing. RIM on the other hand announced the PlayBook way before release and from this article even when people have it, a lot of the functionality will not be available. In addition the screen is smaller than the IPad2, ok so it was mad smaller to fit in the pocket, is this really what people want, surely they have that with a lot of the smartphones that are out there (the Motorola for example has a dual processor and is super fast).
    In the end what is RIM’s business model, are they still looking at the smaller business orientated marketplace which really made their name with the Blackberry or do they want to expand into the greater market which has bought Apple and Android to the forefront? The world has changed a great deal over the years, IBM learned the hard way that people do want PC’s is RIM going to learn the hard way that the youth of today have the spending power (even if it is from the parents) to purchase more gadgetry then ever

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    This is a disappointing report on what's coming out with the initial Playbook. It sounds a little like they'll be playing catchup with the competition from the get go.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Then you have to ask how useful the tablet will be if you don't own a BB, after all it integrates with the BB, BBM and E-Mail, without the BB you have to use Wi-Fi and your browser at the moment. Will this eliminate a lot of people that are looking at purchising a tablet but use a different smartphone?

cornelius no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2035BC65
    When it comes to Rim's business model other OS platforms have a long way to catch up . Having the ability to tether the Playbook with your blackberry is a brilliant idea (no other tablet does this). Otherwise you would have to pay for 2 BIS email/web plans. With or without the Android apps the Playbook is still a much better pc tablet than the Ipad2(Check out the youtube videos).
    Why do people still buy and use a blackberry phone anyways? Most people use a blackberry for the added security(also simple platform). Blackberry has its own style of encryption. This helps the phone in the business field(this is why my 15yr old daughter would rather have a iphone). I think it great that Rim is designing a device thats aims toward consumers.

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    The playbook is much more portable (I look at my wifes Ipad as a huge paperweight) and is no more limited with email on the wifi version then its counterpart. I say this to compare apples to apples (forgive me) because the ipad is not a business email type device to begin with and doesnt support that type of use. Basically it is browser email driven and apps for the playbook for direct email links will be sooner then later.... Im dying for one personally, because long term....its functionality blows the ipad away. Dont even talk about the front/rear cameras....why did Apple bother with such old specs. Anyway, we will see in a couple of weeks when real world users chime in!!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I say meh to all these portable netbook/etchasketch shenanigans and stick to my home pc with 5 terabytes of memory 4 gigs of ram and my souped up nvidia card oh and I don't have to squint with my 32 inch screen as monitor....PC's Macs or Linux based machines are what you need not these craptastic things. Why do you have a smartphone? Why carry this crap around or an ipad or that wannabe ipad (xoom) or any of those things? I just don't understand.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I can say with the brdige enabled, there is nothing to the tethering, it has worked seemless for me now for a few days and no issues @ all. I get calander reminders, bbm and many other things and my BB torch never leaves my OEM case on my belt. Granted it may have been a slow start, but RIM is heading in a better direction!

+ Reply to Thread