+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...lk-of-its-sale... Smartphone News forum

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more

Article: BlackBerry maker's missteps stir talk of its sale

Advertisement

Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    What we say doesn't matter. What Reuters says... Its golden. We should get paid for our opinions, right?

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    What we say doesn't matter. What Reuters says... Its golden. We should get paid for our opinions, right?
    This analyst seems to feel that RIM is not an attractive takeover candidate.
    Finally, Research in Motion will eventually wither away because the company's girth -- which some seem to think will serve as a hedge of safety against the future -- is in fact a great liability.

The company is big based upon being yesterday's hot thing. When technology wins out in a fast-moving technology world like this, as Apple's and Google's are doing right this very second, being hot the day before means nothing. In fact, being bigger then becomes a liability, meaning more bureaucracy in place to stifle nimbleness needed to readjust quickly to changing conditions.

The company is in the midst of downsizing, but when you think of RIM, think of Palm. Many thought HP was crazy for buying Palm, at one time a leader in the same way RIM was recently a leader. HP paid $1.2 billion for Palm's WebOS system. They had big plans for it, too.

But just seven weeks after launching the TouchPad tablet on the WebOS system, HP said it was walking away from the product, and would also no longer support WebOS.

Oops.

That little blunder shows how fast a once-hot tech company can lose all value. Apple is the leader, by far, and until RIM can make an actual dent in Apple's gain, the company will have little value to potential buyers.
    Laura

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Here is another opinion, doesn't appear to support RIM but does not think a sell is likely, plus brings up facts justifying why the PlayBook is not the TouchPad, RIM is not Palm or Nokia
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-Touchpad.html

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Here is another opinion, doesn't appear to support RIM but does not think a sell is likely, plus brings up facts justifying why the PlayBook is not the TouchPad, RIM is not Palm or Nokia
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-Touchpad.html
    Dave, that is interesting. However, I do not see teenagers adopting the Playbook. I see devices look the Nook Color being more popular with teenagers, simply because they are cheap.

Kids will not spend $400+ on tablets, nor will their parents spend that much for the tablets.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread