+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is it not true that any smaller company struggles to compete with the larger ones ... Smartphone News forum

iMacj no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3070F784

Advertisement

Is it not true that any smaller company struggles to compete with the larger ones in the same industry? The point was whether or not T-Mobile was a threat, a viable competitor, or in the way of att's growth.

I thought the whole idea of growth would be to gain market share in the industry one competes in?
    As of today, Verizon has a larger customer base than att in the US. There are only so many mobile phone users in the whole country, it is a finite number.

Did you read the remainder of the sentence you posted? ......though it posts consistent profits.
    With an existing 34 Million subscribers spending their money at a profitable company elsewhere, it is a threat to their mobile phone business no matter how you spin it! My calculater tells me that's equal to 1/3 of what att has total.

As for HTC and Motorola, do you really think that's a good come back? The iPhone is unique and the first of it's kind. The best part is there's only one model at a time. Countless Android based phones from a number of hardware manufacturers are racing to compete with it. Verizon, the larger company, now has the crown jewel of the att lineup. They needed to respond to this immediately.

Apparently you just don't GET IT! T-Mobile isn't poised to take over the market, it's what they TAKE AWAY from att's possible market share to compete with Verizon, and that makes them an indirect threat. When the smallest of the big 4 in the US began taunting them on national TV it was an embarrassment. They now risk more customers going to Verizon for the iPhone or T-Mobile for both better rates and faster speeds.

Why else would att be offering T-Mobile a 5% ownership of the whole damn company!?!

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    So far in this thread I have read that Tmobile was a threat to ATT because;
    1. Someone read more articles on the subject.
    2. Tmobiles UMA technology.
    3. A familiar scene from Americas Funniest Home Videos.
    and last but not least
    4. A link explaining ATT's 95 million customer base and Tmobiles almost 34 million customer base.
    1 I said dont act like an authority on the subject when youve only read one article. The fact that you tried to twist my words was pretty sad indeed.
    2 I said UMA was an example of innovation and groundbreaking technology again twisting my words into your delusions isnt rebutting my statement.
    3 You were the one that used that metaphor to begin with dont get mad cuz someone showed you how it was flawed in its use to begin with.
    4 34 million people is a significant power piece in telecommunications, what would happen if they all went to verizon? hmmm? 34 mil by itself isnt threatening to shut down att but if you add that to the competition that puts att even more in the defensive, in other words 34 million is a threat.
    5 Whether or not tmo struggled to compete the mere fact that they "competed" on a national level and were stealing people from att, shows they were a threat especially in an economy were everyone is cutting back expenses; a cheap full featured cell company is very appealing.

You're are making argument sure but you arent really countering the facts that have been put on the table

You say tmo wasnt innovative and groundbreaking. It was countered with the fact that att hasnt come out with original technology to further development and tmo had an example of UMA.

You tried to use the tmo ceo's address to the t-mobile employees as proof that tmo wasnt a true competitor, what idiot ceo in their right mind would try to scare the employees, of the company that just got sold, into quitting when the deal wont get finalized for at least a year? Of course hes gonna say this is for the best and try to reassure them, otherwise att might try to pull out if the company looks like its gonna go under.

You said that tmo wasnt a threat. Whether you want to believe it or not 34 million is a strategically import piece when its equal to 1/3 of your own base, and you are losing customers to all your competitors

You were then shown how significant the addition of tmo would be to att's network with the fact that it would take att 5 years more to build enough towers to cover the americans that tmo towers already cover. You also payed no attention the the fact that att customer satisfaction rating was dead last and tmos was number 1, that wouldnt bring more customers in right? cuz who wants to be treated well?

To quote you "Seriously?"

Att has been trying to squash tmo for years, why wouldnt they, who would want someone taking some of their profits and making them look bad when they are already in a losing battle with another competitor? But they werent able to, att wouldnt have tried to buy them if they were so weak, why would you, if they are no threat and they are gonna fold up shop soon, why not wait till the go under and buy them for pennies on the dollar? Its cuz they couldnt afford to wait and be wrong.
    If you add tmos customer base to sprint, sprint becomes and even bigger threat. If you add them to Verizon then the growing gap gets even bigger even faster,and I say its growing because as little as 20 months ago Verizon and att only had 2 million customer difference with att in the lead now Big red is in front with a healthy lead of around 10 million. Verizon gaining 12 million in 20 months, thats not a reason that att needs a solution right? Verizon getting the phone which was the only reason att had a growth spurt in the past few years not a problem? Constant negitive press making your network look unstable not a problem? When and if this deal goes through based on the many many tmo customers i know that hate att becuase they screwed them over I predict that verizon will surpass att's customer base again in probably less time.

Even if the deal goes through its said that the FCC will most likely make att sell off big chunks of the service areas to let the deal go thru like the forced verizon to do with the purchase of alltel. So its unlikely that this will be as much help to them as it appears now. Not that they need it.... right?
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

rachaelp no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't want to get into this entire argument about whether or not T-Mobile is a threat to AT&T or not, but I want to stick up for UMA as a technology that will give AT&T a little bump. I was an early adopter of UMA and stick with T-Mobile because of that feature on my Blackberry - for $10 a month, every call I make over UMA is free. All you need to say to T-Mobile reps to get attention is that your UMA is not functional and you will leave if you can't get it working.

For the unemployed, self-employed or small business owner, UMA can literally save you hundreds of dollars in any given month. Add UMA to the iPhone and you might have something exceptional, no? I'm going to leave it there, as I just don't know how I feel the rest.

iMacj no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3070F784
    Forget it Remy. If they can't see it by now they never will. If it wasn't for Apple's iPhone att wouldn't even have what they do now. The iPhone probably makes up a big chunk of what they are in the market as it is. What have they without it? Personally I would like to see even more providers. Competition helps the consumer and choices are a good thing. .....and yes UMA is a technology I have and sometimes use depending on which BB my SIM card is in at the moment.

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by iMacj View Post
    Forget it Remy. If they can't see it by now they never will. If it wasn't for Apple's iPhone att wouldn't even have what they do now. The iPhone probably makes up a big chunk of what they are in the market as it is. What have they without it? Personally I would like to see even more providers. Competition helps the consumer and choices are a good thing. .....and yes UMA is a technology I have and sometimes use depending on which BB my SIM card is in at the moment.
    I know that last big post was my last as far as really trying to convince. I agree the less providers the more we get screwed. But oh well nothing we can do.
    ----

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I dunno about you guys but I think sprint should now buy boost mobile metro pcs and all those ghetto chirp phones owning companies and stop their whining about the tmo/Att merge. Hey Sprint, deal with it or beg verizon to buy your crappy network
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    All this talk about BS, ATT bought Tmobile for their stake in the spectrum. nothing else.

/thread

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    ----

PIN/ID
    Apple
    ^^^That's shows that I'm correct in with why they bought them and you're correct on the greed. Lol

This gives AT&T a big step when deploying LTE and upgrading it coverage on 3G+.

There are also reports that carriers will see the same amount of traffic that was the entire year for 2010 in the first 7-10 weeks of 2015. This merger,while creating somewhat a monopoly of the GSM based service here does serve AT&T well in the future and it's current customer base, while we'll have one less option for a national plan.

Will this pass, I think so. AT&T will argue that there are not going to to be the only gsm service provider. While that's true, they will be the only one available nation wide. It's not the best thing for competition. This is AT&T competing against verizon. Verizon has always had the most solid coverage of 3G. With this merger AT&T won't have to worry about that.

For your bills. You will be grandfathered in. It happened to me when tmobile bought my then current cell provider Suncom. I still have that service, $30 a month for unlimited everything. Tmobile has tried to get me to change but I just keep paying the bill each month and let my dad use that line. He doesn't use data that much so when this finalizes my AT&T contract will be up. I drop down to a dump phone.
    Last edited by BHP77; 03-27-2011 at 08:08 AM.

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    problem is that unless you buy your phone outright if you want the 2 year upgrade price you gotta "renew" your contract at which point they will probably force you to switch up. I will probably be one of the people that see if I can buy the phone outright if I dont have the money Ill probably look at moving to sprint or verizon. Monopolies and bandwidth hording aside the only real things that bother me is that att nickle and dimes people to death. Tethering oh thats extra, UMA cant use that but we have femtocells but thats not included, detailed billing thats extra too, Unlimited data oh cant have that anymore. Its ridiculous that if i switch to an att phone, txt, tether and data plan which is what i have now my bill goes up 60$ and I dont even get unlimited data on that anymore! In this economy 60$ is a lot of money. Id really like to see what all this big companies books look like, I bet you they could charge 20$ a month and still make a good profit. Greed screws us all over.
    ----

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    double post.
    Last edited by RemyKirin; 03-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    ----

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    UMA will be gone if ATT takes over.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachaelp View Post
    I don't want to get into this entire argument about whether or not T-Mobile is a threat to AT&T or not, but I want to stick up for UMA as a technology that will give AT&T a little bump. I was an early adopter of UMA and stick with T-Mobile because of that feature on my Blackberry - for $10 a month, every call I make over UMA is free. All you need to say to T-Mobile reps to get attention is that your UMA is not functional and you will leave if you can't get it working.

For the unemployed, self-employed or small business owner, UMA can literally save you hundreds of dollars in any given month. Add UMA to the iPhone and you might have something exceptional, no? I'm going to leave it there, as I just don't know how I feel the rest.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I totally agree with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    problem is that unless you buy your phone outright if you want the 2 year upgrade price you gotta "renew" your contract at which point they will probably force you to switch up. I will probably be one of the people that see if I can buy the phone outright if I dont have the money Ill probably look at moving to sprint or verizon. Monopolies and bandwidth hording aside the only real things that bother me is that att nickle and dimes people to death. Tethering oh thats extra, UMA cant use that but we have femtocells but thats not included, detailed billing thats extra too, Unlimited data oh cant have that anymore. Its ridiculous that if i switch to an att phone, txt, tether and data plan which is what i have now my bill goes up 60$ and I dont even get unlimited data on that anymore! In this economy 60$ is a lot of money. Id really like to see what all this big companies books look like, I bet you they could charge 20$ a month and still make a good profit. Greed screws us all over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123