+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-buys-T-Mobile... Smartphone News forum

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Article: ATT buys T-Mobile - Creating largest Cell Network

Advertisement

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I just don't understand how they are going to convert the different 3G bands to work as one.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    They won't -- both will be available, until LTE comes out, at which point ATT, Tmobile, and Verizon will all use the same frequency.

I personally think this is the WORST merger that could have possibly occured. T-Mobile was innovative, ground breaking, and pushed in a great direction. ATT is the complete opposite of that. They simply thrive on prices. There is nothing new/interesting/groundbreaking about them. No interesting research. (and I can really say this, having to work with different groups at ATT for 1.5+ years).

This article summarizes everything I think:

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/20/in-att-...erybody-loses/

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I personally think this is the WORST merger that could have possibly occured. T-Mobile was innovative, ground breaking, and pushed in a great direction.
    So innovative and ground breaking that they pushed themselves into AT&T's arms, just like Nokia with Microsoft.

The only thing great about T-mobile is that girl that's in all their commercials.

They had the cheapest plans and decent customer service(except for when I had them years ago, and they were awful)but that wasn't enough to keep them at a position where they would be prosperous on their own.

Look on the bright side, T-mobile customers will have access to the iPhone without jailbreaking it.

The dark side is that AT&T get's bigger, and Verizon will prolly buy Sprint sometime in the future. We will all be sorry when the two of them charge us our first born for 2Gigs of data and 13 minutes of talk time.

I gotta agree with Capdot - - The fewer companies there are, and the fewer choices, the higher costs will run. This merger, although approved by both company's boards, still needs fed approval though - and with the size of the companies involved, the merger is still a big "if".

grapemist no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Posted
    I agree with Mark. Its a big "If" but this big "If" has a lot of negotiating room. T-Mobile has helped a lot of families and individuals who cant afford AT&T and Verizon. Customers were loyal to them and they want to sell them out but that is the game it is. This is a great lesson in capitalism. Capitalism now dictates that if your company is big enough, the "sink of swim rule" won't apply.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I gotta agree with Capdot - - The fewer companies there are, and the fewer choices, the higher costs will run. This merger, although approved by both company's boards, still needs fed approval though - and with the size of the companies involved, the merger is still a big "if".
    Heres hoping that it will not get approved. Personally there was a reason that i left att like 7 years ago. I went to tmo because they had great customer service. Att has been known for screwing its customers, Tmo has been known for helping its customers. This is really depressing news... I might just go to sprint and say screw it all.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    So innovative and ground breaking that they pushed themselves into AT&T's arms, just like Nokia with Microsoft.
    Just because ATT decided to try to buy them doesnt mean they weren't innovative and groundbreaking. Did you stop and think that maybe that was part of the reason they did that? Tmo was a threat to them, with so many people jumping ship to go to verizon and be free of the iPhone ATT tyranny, others were just plain tired of being screwed and could go to tmo. For all the people that have great plans with tmo out there, your options are:
    Switch to verizon and get slightly less screwed right now.

Switch to sprint and possibly get absorbed into verizon or att potentially and put of the inevitable a lil while longer.

Renew your contract right before the deal gets sign and again put off the inevitable for 2 years.

Or resign yourself to one of those crap companies that have aweful phones and pay as you go plans like cricket or Metro PCS

Move to Europe to stay with tmo

Im gonna have to say that i mostly agree with that article "everybody loses". I say mostly cuz i dont think att customers will feel much impact from this, when you are already used to being screwed its hard to notice when you are geting screwed slightly more.

***EDIT:
    http://www.engadget.com/photos/atand...des-0/#3984853
    I stand corrected, att customers as far as coverage will win because of the merger. Still everyone loses on customer service, price, and innovation.
    Last edited by RemyKirin; 03-21-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    ----

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Verizon has great reception here in the Boston area, IF the buyout gets fed approval i might just look in to jumping ship to verizon... I left At&t for a reason, and I definitely do not want to deal with their BS again

mizmellyjelly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by grapemist View Post
    I agree with Mark. Its a big "If" but this big "If" has a lot of negotiating room. T-Mobile has helped a lot of families and individuals who cant afford AT&T and Verizon. Customers were loyal to them and they want to sell them out but that is the game it is. This is a great lesson in capitalism. Capitalism now dictates that if your company is big enough, the "sink of swim rule" won't apply.
    If the big "if" happens, welcome to what Canadian cell phone consumers go through!
    Last edited by mizmellyjelly; 03-21-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    ..miz melly jelly™..
    Carrier: Rogers
    Device: rooted HTC Inspire 4G
    ROM: Virtuous Unity v1.27.0 with Sense 3

TwitterGoogle+

mizmellyjelly no está en línea Stack level 3
    double post ftw....fail internet
    ..miz melly jelly™..
    Carrier: Rogers
    Device: rooted HTC Inspire 4G
    ROM: Virtuous Unity v1.27.0 with Sense 3

TwitterGoogle+

Just because ATT decided to try to buy them doesnt mean they weren't innovative and groundbreaking. Did you stop and think that maybe that was part of the reason they did that? Tmo was a threat to them, with so many people jumping ship to go to verizon and be free of the iPhone ATT tyranny, others were just plain tired of being screwed and could go to tmo. For all the people that have great plans with tmo out there, your options are:
    Switch to verizon and get slightly less screwed right now.
    Sir, this is delusional.

Tmobile was never a threat to ATT.

Go read the other thread with the CEO saying that this was the best possible solution for their customers. This was their solution. Solution is a way to work around an issue not a groundbreaking idea.

double post ftw....fail internet
    This.

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Sir, this is delusional.

Tmobile was never a threat to ATT.

Go read the other thread with the CEO saying that this was the best possible solution for their customers. This was their solution. Solution is a way to work around an issue not a groundbreaking idea.
    First off capdot try reading more than just one article and acting like you know everything ive read at least 6 or 7 different articles that examine each part of this situation, second your evidence even if it had something to do with what you are trying to prove (which it doesn't) doesnt prove anything. you are using the the statement he issued to ease the worries of the company employees, that just got bought, as evidence, aslo forgetting the fact that even tho he was a ceo he was still middle management and the higher ups were the ones that made the decision. it would have taken att an estimate 5 years to build enough towers to cover the amount of people that this merger will supposedly bring service to. Next tmobile was a very real threat to att they were the only other gsm provider, had a way higher customer satisfaction rating and were really starting to pick up speed.... but no one in their right mind could interpret that into being a threat to the competition oh no. And as far as an example of innovation and groundbreaking what about UMA? and before you try to bring up femtocells all they are is glorified network repeaters that you have to actually pay extra for!
    ----

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    People are fickle !
    Companies like AT&T and TMO aren't. They present the customer base an alternative, and everyone has a choice. What should be looked into is the formation of monopolies. I don't think this is the case, since there is s great variety of providers to choose from. Good and bad.
    What I question is the amount of money and who pays for it. There is so much being thrown around and distributed amongst the loan sharks, banks, lawyers, CEO's, commissions to all and sundry, and who pays for it all ? Call it new junk bonds, new capital issues, whatever. And maybe one day we're all facing a Lehmann Brothers and Citibank etc bailout...
    And we the fickle pay to finance all this crap, again.
    And that's what has to be known and controlled.
    For the rest, they can go all out and swallow each other up. And be damned for all I care...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast