+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By papareyenc

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...n-A-Few-Months... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Your BlackBerry Will Be Obsolete In A Few Months

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Many of the apps that used to be available on older BBOS are no longer available for OS7 devices, so in some respects OS7 devices are even more obsolete than older devices already.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    The only thing I miss about my BB is the LED Light lol, other than that I don't see it coming out of storage. I hope they aren't all obsolete because I'm still selling a reasonable amount of themes

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^Unfortunately. It's tough to be a BB fan, even a simple user...

delta0ne no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have spent a fair amount of time testing iPhone and Android devices, but can't yet justify switching to something that has to be tethered to a charger so much. I have an "old" Pearl 9100 that I recently replaced (it was destroyed in an accident), which runs OS 5. I'll bet there are more than just a few users like me who just don't care about all the new bells and whistles in OS 7, let alone BB10. And for someone who hates data entry in general, it has enough of the critical automation apps I need to make it my primary data entry device. I can get a lot of work done with this thing.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I have been contemplating whether it is worth the time to convert my 6.0 themes to 5.0 for the older devices. A lot of work and not sure it will pay off. I'm sure they are out there. I'm happy to say that my new SII has not challenged me with a low battery so that is a big plus
    Last edited by PapaMag; 04-04-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    A lot of BB users are happy with their OS and don't bother to update each time new updates for their specific OS comes out. The majority that use their OS do so for e-mail, messaging, don't use many apps, don't read forums such as this and have their phone as a workhorse. Remember BB still is no 3 in the US for all everyone state that it is dead, it is also selling very well in the Far East and other developing markets. When BB10 comes those who want will switch to it just as they would switch to IOS or Android, those that don't will likely be happy with their OS6, or OS7, or OS5. with regards to the latest versions of IOS my daughter tells me that she is seeing far more crashes on her IPad 1 than the older software she had on it when she bought the IPad. Is this because there is not enough memory, certainly the new OS is written to be optimized for the higher resolution screen and better processors. Whatever system gadget you have the older models will not be compatible with the latest software. How many people have PC's that are not compatible with Windows 7? Does this make them obsolete, no, it just means that you have to maintain the software you have.

Even the current software (OS6 and OS7) has the option to bridge to the Playbook and you can use your phone as a remote control for the Playbook when watching movies through the HDMI or performing presentations, so I do not really see how it will suddenly become obsolete. Cutting edge maybe but then with the interface between the Playbook and Blackberry it has far more capabilities than the other tablets.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    A lot of BB users are happy with their OS and don't bother to update each time new updates for their specific OS comes out. The majority that use their OS do so for e-mail, messaging, don't use many apps, don't read forums such as this and have their phone as a workhorse. Remember BB still is no 3 in the US for all everyone state that it is dead, it is also selling very well in the Far East and other developing markets. When BB10 comes those who want will switch to it just as they would switch to IOS or Android, those that don't will likely be happy with their OS6, or OS7, or OS5. with regards to the latest versions of IOS my daughter tells me that she is seeing far more crashes on her IPad 1 than the older software she had on it when she bought the IPad. Is this because there is not enough memory, certainly the new OS is written to be optimized for the higher resolution screen and better processors. Whatever system gadget you have the older models will not be compatible with the latest software. How many people have PC's that are not compatible with Windows 7? Does this make them obsolete, no, it just means that you have to maintain the software you have.

Even the current software (OS6 and OS7) has the option to bridge to the Playbook and you can use your phone as a remote control for the Playbook when watching movies through the HDMI or performing presentations, so I do not really see how it will suddenly become obsolete. Cutting edge maybe but then with the interface between the Playbook and Blackberry it has far more capabilities than the other tablets.
    I think you are completely overestimating the impact of the Playbook. The majority of BB users who do not read forums such as this one do not own Playbooks, and probably would not even consider buying one. Even from what I've read on this forum and other forums, most people bought the Playbook since it was cheap during the fire sale.

RIM had to write down the Playbook in its financial report, since it was such a poor seller.

I have yet to spot a Playbook in the wild at school, coffeehouses, or other places where folks routinely bring tablets and laptops.

I hope a newer version of the Playbook is released and is a good seller. However, at this point, I believe the Playbook is already obsolete.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

papareyenc no está en línea Stack level 3
    From a third world country The devices are selling not so well. Many newbies switch to other phones after a few months especially to those who do not check BB related sites and forums. I feel sorry for them. Nevertheless, BlackBerry is getting some good attention/usage as the 8520 is heavily marketed by carriers. Where I'm from, it won't be suddenly. It's gonna take some time. The best we can do is make the most out of what the device can do for most - texting, mails, organizer, and the convenience that 3rd party apps bring to the experience. I still have, and will continue to have my Storm2 with me. Have designed it to fit my needs. And perhaps because not many of its kind are seen here, it still gets some love from people around.Loving my storm, and goodluck to RIM.
    PapaMag likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well I have lived, worked and traveled to many 'third world" countries and found the majority to be more tech savvy than the majority of 1st world countries, certainly using cell phones in the early 90s as it was easier than installing land lines. Depends on the usage.

With regards to Playbook, there are already over a million in the Wild, a lot being used in Canada lot in Texas, there are even 10 being used on the same floor as me, (all personal units) .... It's surprising how useful true multi tasking is, I would take it over a high resolution screen any day
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    no more
    Well I have lived, worked and traveled to many 'third world" countries and found the majority to be more tech savvy than the majority of 1st world countries, certainly using cell phones in the early 90s as it was easier than installing land lines. Depends on the usage.

With regards to Playbook, there are already over a million in the Wild, a lot being used in Canada lot in Texas, there are even 10 being used on the same floor as me, (all personal units) .... It's surprising how useful true multi tasking is, I would take it over a high resolution screen any day
    I really hope the Playbook becomes successful, since more product availability is always a win for the consumer.

However, everyone I know has an iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook, or HP Touchpad. The folks I know either want the premium tablet with the most apps (iPad) or the cheap tablets that can be rooted and run Android (Kindle Fire, Nook, Touchpad).

I have not even seen a working demo Playbook in big-box stores.

Most consumers have no interest in multi-tasking. They simply want Netflix and Skype. The "business apps" have little interest to the typical consumer.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ Maybe it's an age thing, I have no interest in watching movies on the tablet that's what cinemas and tv's are for,similarly Skype is old hat there are many cheaper options out there some of which work on the Playbook.

No working models in your area no wonder they are not selling there, bad marketing on RIM's part. You should try one they're good.

PIN/ID
    no more
    ^^^ Maybe it's an age thing, I have no interest in watching movies on the tablet that's what cinemas and tv's are for,similarly Skype is old hat there are many cheaper options out there some of which work on the Playbook.

No working models in your area no wonder they are not selling there, bad marketing on RIM's part. You should try one they're good.
    I actually have no interest in the Playbook, due to its lack of consumer apps. I already have a laptop for business-related use and have MS Office Professional..

If I were to get a tablet it would be for fun. I am a Netflix subscriber, so that is one app I'd want. I also use Amazon for most content that I purchase, The Kindle Fire would probably be a better option for me, especially since I will be leaving BlackBerry very soon.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread