+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By Capdot
  • 1 Post By RayZ

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...Without-Google... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Would Android Matter As Much Without Google?

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Smaller firm such as BlackBerry for example? An interesting point here look at the state of the Android OS when it was launched, it was really bad, yet people gave it a chance, how many Apps did it have, hardly any, yet people gave it a chance, how long did it take to get to where it is today, yet people gave it a chance?

Now zoom forward to today, BlackBerry launches a brand new OS, far more innovative than the original Android on a phone way better than the original Android or even Iphone, are any of us giving it the same chance, or are we saying it would have been good in 2008 (I am not having a dig at you Del, as I can understand your frustrations and you even with your frustrations are willing to give it a chance).

All I am saying is that the tech community today expect things to work and forget the frustrations of earlier Os' such Apple not having cut and past, etc.

I am a member of the Beta forum for BB and recently they released a new version of the App for FaceBook. It had a problem which didn't allow you to download it, this happened over the holiday weekend, I was surprised by the amount of frustration and anger that was exhibited in the forum demanding it be fixed, complaining about how bad BB is, this is just an example of our society today. This is an App, it is a Beta App if you can't download it report it, and get on with your life, use the standard App, the world wont end, surely it is possible to wait for the guys to come back to work or are they not allowed to take time off?

Instant gratification is the name of the game in this age. Do I believe Android would have succeeded without Google, my answer to that is a resounding NO, and if it had been released today as it was back then, it would quickly have died a death.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    One correction Dave, if I may. At the time Android was released I was terribly disappointed with it. I was BB fan then, and I remember looking at the new OS, and saying loudly: MEH! MEH! etc. The rest, I can´t put it down to print...
    Second factor: I didn´t write for PinStack at the time, ´cause if I had, I would certainly be as critical of it as I still am with certain apps and functions, or hardware from whatever manufacturer, whatever OS.
    I abide by a simple rule. If I pays my monies, I want see them ponies...
    dushdavj likes this.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    lol, Android started off on hideous hardware and donut was gross, so its ok for blackberry to do the same...

If I give Blackberry a break because they are trying something new, I would have to give Apple a break on their maps fiasco.

Can't do it, bro. I know we go back a long time and all, but this where we differ. Breaks my heart, man...

dushdavj likes this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm only going to add the difference that android developed a strong community around open source development. Anyone had access to source and improve/modify it. Cyanogen is the prime example.

With all due respect, blackberry lacks this. Makes the road a lot longer.

As well, android was new. Never was an android is before. No one had an established android base with high expectations of improvements, nor had they been let down before by any android device.

From my point of view, blackberry dug its hole. It squandered a very loyal user base, one that was at times more forgiving than it should have been. The criticism is warranted.

I hope they learn, and learn fast. I have no wish to see them go away.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Hey, guys...been a long time since I visited this forum. I still have an Android...but I'm bored with it. I tend to be the type that enjoys trying something brand new. I have changed the way that I used my phone, along with almost all of my friends and co-workers. I have a nexus 7 that I consume my daily dose of social networking and general on-line junk with. Most of my friends and co-workers have some sort of tablet too. I use my phone now for...well..a phone. I also update my daily and weekly calender, text..(a lot), and view e-mail, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and all the PDFs that people seem to like to make now. My Android has served me well, but like I said...I'm bored to death with it. When BlackBerry, which in reality is still my long lost love, announced the new OS...I started to salivate! I know, like Delfim said, there are going to be issues along the road...I am willing and excited to give my old friend BlackBerry another shot. So..Next week I will upgrade to the Z10. I thought about the Galaxy S IV..but the size of the thing...I already have a tablet and don't need something that huge to tackle all the tasks that my job provides. I'll try and give it a week or two and then report back on my opinion...lol, as if anyone would care. Oh, and it's good to be back here...And one more thing I forgot to mention... a buddy at AT&T still thinks he will sell me the iPhone 5 or convince me to wait for the Galaxy S IV instead of the Z10...hmmm, we'll see
    Last edited by RayZ; 04-01-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: additional info
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ray, nice to see you back here. Of course we care about your take on the Z10. Good luck with it it, I hope you'll enjoy it.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del as I said my comment wasn't aimed at you, and you are absolutely correct if you pay a high some of money or come to that any money for an item you should be provided a value for that money, if you do not feel you have received that value then you should receive your money back. I am sure if you had been writing reviews back then Android would not have received a good one.

Cap we do not differ in opinion, I actually agree with you, I don't believe BlackBerry should be given a break, if OS10 is truly bad it should be reported as such, however if it is just different or doesn't have as many Apps as an established OS then that is a different matter. I can see Del's frustration, part of it I believe because he wants it to work, and it doesn't perform the way he believes it should. I have read quite a few reviews and while all of them say it has issues they are also pretty positive about the phone.

I have seen the improvement in the Playbook OS so I am looking to see BB10 improve and not stagnate.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Welcome back Ray.
    I'm thinking you'll end up with the S4.

I know what you're saying though. When I had a Galaxy Tab I barely used my phone for anything.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Ray! Welcome back, bro. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Z10!

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Hey...thanks for the warm welcome back replies...Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I don't have a new phone yet. I was all pumped up and ready to get my hands on the the BB Z10...however, my bud at the AT&T store has all but begged me to hold out a little longer. He has convinced me to wait for the Galaxy S IV and the HTC One. He has informed me that he believes that I will choose the HCT One! I've never owned an HTC handset before. The video he has shown me, has me intrigued I must say. The HTC One will have an aluminum body...not plastic...hmmm. The video is the S4 vs HTC One from Phonearena on youtube if you wish to view it. With that said, I will wait to see these 2 new smartphones and then make my decision...Oh, and yes the Z10 is still in the running.

+ Reply to Thread