+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ry-from-iPhone... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Why I won't be going back to BlackBerry from iPhone

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, a very interesting take and quite similar to yours, for sure, Del.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm borrowing from Jay: EH!
    I mean What I Say!

jt_teran Guest
    I stopped reading in the foreword. Unfortunately lying isn't something I look for in reviews. Spinning clock on the Z10? That doesn't exist in the OS. At all. I mean, literally, the graphic of a spinning clock is nowhere to be found within the OS.

Really unfortunate to see how one of my favorite BlackBerry sites from back in the day would be so incredibly bad at reviewing a device and flat out lie.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Eh® <<---
    Note the ®.
    I have a comment on this but its gotta wait. Been thinking about bb a bit, but at work.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Nice summary! I'm not a big fan of the Z10 but I do like its size vs. the iPhone 5. BlackBerry has come a long way though.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Smooth, buddy, if the iPhone 5 was in the least 4.3" like the z10, or even better, 4,5" it would an awesome phone. 4.5" especially. Personnally, that´s my "right" size!

jt_teran Guest
    So many blatant lies and erroneous information in this article, it's incredible.

- There's no spinning clock on BB10. Like there is literally no graphic for a spinning clock anywhere on the OS.
    - The Z10 launched in the UK in January, not February
    - BlackBerry did not slash the price a month later.
    - The BlackBerry Torch 9800 and 9810 supported 3G networks
    - iOS, Android, and BlackBerry 10 all have icon screens, but you don't mention anything about Active Frames which provide customers with quick information on the apps they currently have running.
    - There is a mark as read feature in the Hub
    - WhatsApp is available on BlackBerry 10

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I agree with you. Big screen sizes grew on me slowly but now my iPhone 5 feels like an old remote for my TV as a kid. I wouldn't mind a 4.3" phone myself

Unregistered Guest
    You do realize that BlackBerry and Palm came up the icons / grid approach first. Before there was Android, iOS legacy devices had the ability to create folders and place icons there. Maybe do your research first becore saying anything. Maybe it's just me but having thousands of apps that all do the same thing just by different developers is not a healthy ecosystem. Apps are a dime a doze, have you thought about the average shelf life? I could have sworn I read once that the average lifetime of an app on iPhone is three days. How is that a healthy system when people buy, try, and throw away.

Last edited by Delfim; 03-23-2013 at 07:05 PM.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    "One day I got the dreaded spinning clock" what's a spinning clock ? never heard this fugue of speech before.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The "spinning clock" was the omnipresent feature of BlackBerry. When the sofware got hung up for something, when it coughed and spluttered, just before it crashed...we got the spinning clock. Sigh...I miss those days.
    I do not!

Anilu7 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    26703FD6
    Hi, perhaps it is because I have had my Z10 for a month and a half but there are a few things that I have noticed. You mention the 'snooze': "when the alarm goes off in the morning, two white boxes pop up at the top of the huge black expanse of screen asking me in tiny font if I want to 'snooze' or 'dismiss'. Squinting at this vast display...I wonder if I have the wherewithal, dexterity and energy to successfully make the phone snooze." Well, someone was listening because not long after I got my Z10 an update was pushed through with a correction to that. Now, all I have to do is hit the screen anywhere (literally) and it will go into snooze mode.
    Regarding WhatsApp, I have had it for 2 weeks and it works fine. I never used it but I sideloaded Instagram just for fun and it works too. As you mentioned, you used the Z10 before the update and the recent additions to BlackBerry World. It would be a huge mistake for BlackBerry to allow apps into BB World unless they are working well so, while Skype and others are working on their apps (rumoured to be coming in the very near future), unless it works well, it's not going to be offered for download. It just doesn't make sense.
    Finally, regarding the 'spinning clock' that is a puzzle to me that is something I left with my old 9900. I would advise picking up the Z10 again. It is a new platform so will have growing pains but is easy to navigate and the Hub is vital for keeping everything organized. By the way, I have had an iPhone but prefer the Z10. I like leaving several apps open at once as I do different things and I think it was a nice touch to automatically pause games but not music when I went to answer a message while using another app. Cheers!
    RogerG and Delfim like this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Anilu, welcome to Pinstack. Nice post. Positive and informative.
    Spinning clock is something left over from "those old days" and all the OS´s up to 7. It does leave quite an inprint. In actual fact when the Z10 froze on me while I had it for those short, few days, all I had was a blank, black screen. I noticed at trying to boot up a few times, a very small circular circle right in the centre. But then it just became a blank screen. I left it on the charger, and in the morning the Z10 was up and running as if nothing had happened. And then I had to return it to its "origins".
    I´m glad you´ve also updated us with the "snooze" function. As for the apps, well it´s a problem. What I did mention in my original article was that BB must insist in quality apps for BB10. Not some vain attempts at copying. Or resorting to port from Android. That´s demeaning.
    I liked the Z10. Not for what it is now, though. More for what it can become.
    I distinctly remember being a proud owner of all the Curves, the Torch series (that was painful) the 9000 and then the 9900 and not accepting the "gibberish" that Android was throwing at us. Even iOS. It was gibberish at first, but it was something new. But then they conquered us all (almost all) with improved quality, better apps, better UI´s etc.
    The growing pains, as you put it, are necessary. But I consider BlackBerry´s BB10 introduction as timid. It should have been more differentiating, than what it is.
    I hope time will prove me to be wrong.
    RogerG likes this.

drizzt09 no está en línea Stack level 1
    What a crock-o-lies article. More like had the device for 3 weeks but forgot to turn it on and made up crap to write an article.
    It's is NOT POSSIBLE to get the spinning clock/timer on the Z10 or any other BB10 nor the PlayBook for that matter. That was java based code. It doesn't exist in QNX.
    Only ONE store in the UK "carphone wharehouse" slashed prices. Yet the carriers that they sell for did not slash prices.
    The so called "minor" update had hundreds of battery optimizations. That's no "minor" update.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast