+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thanks, Roger I don't think I'm ready to go back to Blackberry. Actually I never ... Smartphone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Thanks, Roger I don't think I'm ready to go back to Blackberry. Actually I never really got totally away from it though. I still have the 8120 as a spare "pay for the minutes" phone on T-mobile. I'm just about ready to give the iPhone a try influenced by my daughter and son-in-law's use of them. Right now my Moto Droid Bionic (whatever that is) is doing a decent job for me. I don't change phones as often as I used to -
    RogerG likes this.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ...and Del, all phones are overpriced, period. It could be curbed a little if people were a little more sensible about their purchases - don't hold your breath tho.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    OK. Going to give my take on this pretty boy android.

Beauty is only skin deep. This ones (get it?? ) skin doesn't help. Sense in any form (like tw) is evil and must be killed.

Seriously, I give Apple crap because they basically tell users their storage needs, and seal the battery for the sake of aesthetics. In the world I live in there are times I HAVE to change out my battery. Either that or have a dead device. 3 times now we've had power out for more than 3 days. I will always find it unacceptable to pin the user to a non removable battery. Especially for the sake of "build quality" or "beauty".

About this fabled build quality. Its just that...a fable. The two we owned absolutly blew. Digitizers going bad, bezels seperating. Hell, when the Evo 3D launched there were complaints after complaints about dust under the screen and (il give a pass on this one) light leakage. What about the wifi issues of the last One?

Ive owned a Nesus S, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Transform Ultra, Galaxy Nexus, Epic 4g Touch (S2), and now an S3. Not one hardware/software problem (that I didn't create, the S2 had an issue with the USB port that I caused).

6 plastic fantastic, cheap build quality, crappy, whatever you want to use to vilify Samsung's choice of materials with, and not 1 problem. 1 HTC model (x2) and problems (x2).

Add htcs insistence on locking the boot loader and being half-assed in allowing users to unlock, and I can't see any instance where I'd give money for one.

Personally I have no problem with Samsung's build quality. It works, looks nice, and I can rely on it.

In the end that deserves far more credit than metal and glass. This HTC to me is how I see those pretty iphones.

Putting lipstick on a pig.
    RogerG likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...and here you go guys. From the horse´s mouth.No lipstick.
    Thanks for the input Jay.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well, JB, if you're like the rest of us "older guys" I bet you'll really like the iPhone. Slick, simple, easy to use UI, and it just works.

Used to be all the rage to load the latest and greatest leaked OS for our beloved BlackBerrys, and I bet if 'Droid was around back in the day, I'd be all over rooting and romming, as it were. Not any more. I'm all for ease of use and a big, bright screen right now. I left iPhone because I wanted a bigger screen. If they do that, I will go back. I got fairly proficient with jailbreaking and tweaking an iPhone. Until then, I'm happy with my SIII, or will go with the SIV or the next Note, but I have a mental block or something when it comes to rooting a 'Droid. Just can't bring myself to do it. Must've been that HTC One S I had for a short while that soured me on the whole thing.

Roger, rooting a Samsung is far easier.
    Just DONT EVER EVER FLASH ANYTHING EXCEPT ROMS//KERNELS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC MODEL.

Sorry, but that will create a real brick. A $60 JTAG brick.
    Unless you have an international s3, stay away. I can't say that enough.

Now that I've said that. Its an easy process. If you stick to the T-Mobile forum on xda then you're golden.

I'm always available unless working. Even then I'll do what I can.
    RogerG likes this.

^^^ See what I mean? I'm skeered.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I flash and update my Rom's, Kernals, Radios, to match for the fastest and most stable probably 2 to 3 times a week. Like Jay said XDA baby and make sure to stick with your device, nothing can happen that you can't fix unless like the man said you flash for the wrong device, then it's brick city.

I've done that once and got a free replacement from my warranty. I still don't understand why in a SGH t989 forum thread they would have access to SIII rom's but I've learned to read much more careful and look for the word Hercules.

You can hit me up any time as well, here's what I'm running as of late

Mysterious Rom AOKP 4.2.2
    Radio: T989UVMC6
    Kernal: cerus v1.46

Apex Pro Launcher
    Pure HD Theme
    RogerG likes this.

Thanks fellas.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Roger, take your time, watch the YouTube videos, and it's really not hard at all. You download the latest version of Odin to your PC, two or three files on your desktop, and one to your S3. The most difficult part of it is finding the files. The actual rooting is a breeze. If I can do it I KNOW you can. I google it and wrote down step by step on a sheet of paper what to do, had the YouTube video running in the background on my pc, did a step, watched video, did a step, watched the video, etc, etc.
    jfcooley likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I've got a great kernel if you do flash. I'm pretty sure he's made it for all carriers. I know there's a T-Mobile version.

Its not fancy but gives great performance and battery life.
    Glenn are you back on s3? Saw something in the battery thread that made me wonder. I can share it with you as well if you are.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Yes. I have made 5 backups in Rom Manager so have several versions of 4.1 and 4.2 to chose from. Yes thanks, I'd be interested in a really battery friendly kernel.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2174403

That's the sprint thread. All makes are available through the download link. I checked. I'm using stable 3.0, there are 3.4 kernels if your ROM supports them. Mine doesn't.
    chokem likes this.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Thanks Jay.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12