+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...Gets-Defensive... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Verizon Gets Defensive...

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I think the carriers have sat it out waiting for us all to get addicted to our smartphones and browsing the web, uploading photos (particularly the 41 Mp ones on the Nokia ) and watching the smartphone makers come out with more and more goodies for us to use data. The carriers finally rejoiced at how popular Siri is becoming and her clones (or should I say innovations by her competitors to avoid any dispute). Now anything we want goes through data centers, rather than typing on your phone we speak to it, it uploads the information computes the answer and sends it back carriers rub their hands in glee!! Then of course there is the "Cloud" lets all put our data on the Cloud, lets stream our music from the Cloud, lets all use more data! Of course I could suggest a conspiracy between the smartphone makers and the carriers to get their hands on more of our money, but perish the thought, it is all done to make our lives more convenient and easy.

Enjoy your streaming, enjoy Siri, enjoy data in the cloud and quietly go broke through your cell phone bills

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Conspiracy? Do you have doubts? Kickbacks?
    It's back to the 99% and the 1% argument...

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I like to believe in the goodness of human nature but then remember that the large corporations look at customers as faceless money machines rather than people and drive to make higher and higher profits to satisfy their shareholders while keeping their employees benefits and compensation low in the name of maintaining their jobs and making the company survive. It doesn't matter if it's Apple, Google, ATT, Verizon, TMobile, Exxon, Shell or the current Government in place, if there is money to be made that is the object to strive for, and it does not matter who you steamroller over. While I am conservative, and believe in free enterprise, I also believe that we should all know when to stop and when we have enough money in our banks, plus make an effort to help those who need it. The problem with a lot of the super rich today is they do not understand that they have enough. There are of course exceptions like Bill Gates who spends his life now doing charities in places that need it, Oprah Winfrey who spends her money helping girls get education in South Africa, and others, but the majority just want money for the sake of it. It is sad
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    " The problem with a lot of the super rich today is they do not understand that they have enough."

For the most part I'd agree. I have an exception which is our landlord. By his own admission he has "a lot of money", however he worked hard for it. With that, he has been beyond patient with us. I just wish I could do more....

Problem is owning a smartphone with a low (100mb-500mb) cap is unrealistic. Verizon will be asking for overages, and the irritated consumers who are crying foul know this. I burn through 500mb a day, easily. That's why I put up with Sprints slow speeds, and in return Sprint takes advantage of that. Why would I leave, I'm a data hog on the only network that is giving unlimited unless roaming.

If I had Verizon, I'd be jumping ship at the next chance. I personally think 1gb isn't enough. You're right, they sell the feature rich phones like peddlers of crack. We get hooked and want more and more.

**I'm a data hog cause I live in an area with little to ability to get broadband. I know I'm bad, admit it freely. My device is our connection to the outside world. I tether, my wife tethers (not nearly as much as I do). Slap my wrist, beat me up verbally, I'll take it.

I believe with my whole heart that if you sell unlimited data it should be unlimited. Adding $30 a month to tether is greed. I would use the same bandwidth without the tether, downloading roms, kernels, etc. Why is it different that the data is funneled to my computer now instead of the phone? I get tired of squinting to read change logs, or dealing with some web servers inability to recognize my phone and allow the download.

Unlimited to me means it's mine to use, as I see fit. I don't allow others to share MY bandwidth. I don't make hotspots at random and tell all it's a buffet of data, have at it. I may be wrong and just rationalizing. If so then I'll reconsider and call it my digital middle digit at the money hungry dips of the world.

<off soap box>

Now with Verizon telling the customers they don't have to switch is corporate blackmail. So you can keep your plan, but if you want a shiny new device you have to pony up full price. Devices run 500 or better, that's a big pill to swallow. Yes, yes, I know...you don't HAVE to buy it, not the new cool one anyway. You will at some point have to buy a new device though, and they aren't cheap at any level.

Reminds me of when I was with AT&T and mobile was bought by Cingular. I have a perfectly good phone but they told me I had to buy a new one to stay on network. I was a dip and bought one, giving over the device I loved and taking a crap Moto. The darn thing couldn't hold a signal for more than 5 min. This was back before we texted and actually called people. I couldn't even call customer support because it kept cutting off before someone could help. I was pressured into buying a piece of crap because they were greedy.

God I'm ranting today....gotta take a nap.
    dushdavj likes this.

+ Reply to Thread