+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...forcing-5-Rule... Smartphone News forum

Article: Verizon Begins Enforcing 5% Rule

Advertisement

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    I wonder if I'm in the top 5% (doubt it)....what's the GB cutoff per month to fall into that classification?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I'd say 5GB and over. If someone is using that much data then their obviously tethering and need a to pay for a tethering plan or be with reduced speed.

Sure it's a way to get more money but those are the rules.

Those that use data normally won't see it affect them. Also, anyone using a 4G device will not be affected no matter the data usage. This is just for 3G users.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Last month my oldest son, (i4), was streaming music all day at work via Pandora, and used 8 GB Of data. I was not thrilled when I got the bill. Needless to say he's back listening to his mp3s.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... LOL serves you right . Get him a FM radio...

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Last month my oldest son, (i4), was streaming music all day at work via Pandora, and used 8 GB Of data. I was not thrilled when I got the bill. Needless to say he's back listening to his mp3s.
    I have AT&T, not VZW, and I'm on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I managed to use 6.7 GB of data in one month on a BlackBerry due to streaming.

A lot of people mistakenly think that BlackBerry compresses all data, but that is not the case. I knew this, but a lot of folks do not. The only compressed data on BlackBerry is that which goes through RIM's NOC. Streaming audio does not.

Pandora actually uses a lower bitrate for their streams than some other apps. I only used around 50 MB of data streaming Pandora about 3 1/2 hrs yesterday. Had I used TuneInRadio, I probably would have used about 150-200 MB in the same time period, since many of the stations on TuneInRadio use higher bitrates for their streams.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

fd59 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ... LOL serves you right . Get him a FM radio...
    Some of us have to use streaming services as there is no FM signal that will get to our office, but we do get cell signals.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    I've never used over 4GB's with this Thunderbolt and that was when in St. Louis a few times testing downloads via 4G....(which is smoking fast) Mostly use wifi when at home and 3G everywhere else til 4G gets here....I'd say I'm fine.

+ Reply to Thread