+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...axy-S4-HTC-One... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: "Vanilla" Samsung Galaxy S4 & HTC One

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Well at least the One has no sense. A good thing.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'll tell you what has no sense. Google!
    I can't buy the damn phone on Play Store. "Your country or region is not supported".
    It sucks. Big time!

Cause you were trying to buy the One.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    I'll tell you what has no sense. Google!
    I can't buy the damn phone on Play Store. "Your country or region is not supported".
    It sucks. Big time!
    Just move here for a few months and crash up at cooleys.

not hard, bro.

I could use a free babysitter.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    To bad the One couldn't keep some of its wow features. But not wanting Sense is a price you'll have to pay. Still is a really nice device.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    This is such a tough decision! I want The One's beautiful metal body and boom sound. But I also want the bigger amoled screen and SD slot of the S4. Either way this is great for Android. Hopefully its just the start of something beautiful. That competition has to be sweating bullets.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    This is such a tough decision! I want The One's beautiful metal body and boom sound. But I also want the bigger amoled screen and SD slot of the S4. Either way this is great for Android. Hopefully its just the start of something beautiful. That competition has to be sweating bullets.
    More S4s and Ones will sell in their stock form than these. Competition? Well, these are the only two that are really in the game. And still compared to Apple. As they should.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP View Post
    More S4s and Ones will sell in their stock form than these. Competition? Well, these are the only two that are really in the game. And still compared to Apple. As they should.
    It's true the skinned versions may sell more units due to cheap gimmicks and marketing schemes. But I was looking at the bigger picture. I'm hoping to see, in the near future, pure Android for all flagship hardware. For them all to run the latest version of Android and get updated in a timely fashion. I believe this is an evolutionary move by Google, and will ensure stock Android is running on the best hardware available. Also, I believe it shows that they've actually listened to the Android enthusiasts, even though we may not be the majority.

As far as being compared to Apple. Well, it shouldn't be! As we're dealing with 2 very different approaches here. Android is a blank canvas where you get to create your own experience. With IOS, your experience has been created for you. Where Google responds to Android's power users with the GE devices. Apple tells it's power users what they should want and need. Their idea of evolution is releasing a new icon pack and live wallpapers. The only thing you could compare is sales I guess. But sales don't hold much weight in a comparison when Android devices have been dominant.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Devices like this needn't be sold through the play store or even created for sale.

Simple solution is for manufacturers to make bootloaders easy unlockable and have the images available with source for install. Wouldn't have to reconfigure the device or resell. Its done already on small scale everyday on XDA.

Carriers demanding normally easy unlocks blocked so they can protect bloat ware are what stops this.

Samsung already makes it pretty easy. All you need is adb/fastboot and "OEM unlock". Verizon and at&t have added more on their s4's. HTC makes a halfassed solution with their dev unlock, bit still prevent kernel flashing and radio flashing (going from memory).

Yeah, supposedly the average Joe doesn't care about Vanilla. Maybe because its not a sanctioned option?

I've run tw, sense, and vanilla on different devices at different times. Each can be useful. I'd never run unrooted though, the options without are too limiting.

I wouldn't (if I could) pay for the privilege to not have the ui overlay when a little work can net it for free.

BTW, in no time the images will be ported for both devices. Rooted s4s and Ones will have be exactly like these two.

I bet I have the camera/gallery and boot ani in a day or two.

The downside is this will make little distinction between a Google S4 and a rooted/aosp S3. Why upgrade?
    Last edited by jfcooley; 06-27-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: blind men shouldnt always rely on autocorrect

+ Reply to Thread