+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By dushdavj

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...to-Acquire-RIM... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: United Vision Marketing Firm Offers to Acquire RIM

Advertisement

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I'm not thinking they are going to jump at the first offer out there, so thinking this will be pondered for awhile like everything else they do

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow. Interesting spin on the situation. On the surface, it sounds like the type of move that's going to be necessary to save the BlackBerry brand. Would be interested in hearing UVMF's vision for turning things around.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Samsung has already denied reports that they would be interested. This, being taken seriously, will be a first step. Others will surely follow.RIM will be seen with different eyes and their stock will rebound.
    It could be the start of something better.
    PapaMag likes this.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Would anyone really benefit by buying them now or waiting it out till they go bankrupt and buying at a Nickel on the dollar?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    RIM going bankrupt is conjecture, but then I suppose Apple would have done had it not been for Bill Gates and look at them now. RIM is still selling phones and still making money so we shall see. UVMF is a diversified group, doubt that RIM will accept their offer
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Problem is that there is no talent at RIM. Bill Gates or Bill Cosby could give RIM tons of cash, and they would still release subpar devices that only the dedicated RIM faithful would buy.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Problem is that there is no talent at RIM. Bill Gates or Bill Cosby could give RIM tons of cash, and they would still release subpar devices that only the dedicated RIM faithful would buy.
    Bit of a sweeping statement unless of course you know every single person their background, and experience that work at RIM . From my posts I suppose I could be considered a RIM faithful, and I have to admit I banker after a Bold 9900. It's not that I don't like Apple or Android they have some good looking phones with a lot of options, it's just I want a workhorse that handles even-mails well does an occasional search and will work in whatever environment I am in from the heat of the desert to the cold of -40's, in addition to its security. I don't want to play games watch movies, or listen to music on it, plus I am a dinosaur that likes the keyboard.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    You may not need a touchscreen, and an app store that offers an ecosystem that can deliver you movies, games and a healthy supply of apps, but RIM sure needs it. If RIM could have supplied all of this to me a few years ago, I would have never left, and RIM could have touted a device that catered to business and consumer needs. Hell, I don't need most of the apps in Apples store, but it sure is fun to check them out every now and then.

you RIM guys need to get over this "I don't need it so RIM shouldn't offer it" type of mentality.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well I don't remember saying RIM doesn't need to change and improve. If you follow what's going on with them you'll see they are try to get more developers on board and developing a new Os. Apple managed today develop a following and developers and accessory makers saw a market in which they can make a lot of money the rest happened, if RIM survives it won't happen overnight, and yes it took them a long time to understand they had a problem. The most difficult thing for them will be to balance their investment such that they do not spend more than they can afford, yet they spend enough time make things work. It may be worth you checking out how things have changed since you left.

What I am saying is that everyone has different uses for their phones and not everyone wants a touch screen only phone.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Does RIM have enough money to pay developers, like how Microsoft is paying developers to create apps for Windows Phone?

I doubt if a free Playbook is much incentive to big developers, but cash would be an incentive.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Take a look at the procession a developer has to go through in order to get an App published and available that will give you a good snap shot. A free PB is an insult. I wished I had saved the iOS/Android and RIM charts that outlined the steps, it's shocking and it's no wonder.

Giving a 15 year old developer a free device may work but beyond that C'Mon really?

Make easy to use developer tools, simplify the process to publish.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Take a look at the procession a developer has to go through in order to get an App published and available that will give you a good snap shot. A free PB is an insult. I wished I had saved the iOS/Android and RIM charts that outlined the steps, it's shocking and it's no wonder.

Giving a 15 year old developer a free device may work but beyond that C'Mon really?

Make easy to use developer tools, simplify the process to publish.

srl7741, I would be interested to see the charts if you can find them.

How much more difficult is the process for RIM, compared to iOS/Android/WP?
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I believe RIM is trying to streamline the process, which is probably why more Apps are turning up, but it would be interesting to see how they differ
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I believe RIM is trying to streamline the process, which is probably why more Apps are turning up, but it would be interesting to see how they differ
    I have heard the same thing re: RIM wanting to streamline the process.

I am interested in links, since I am not a developer, but I want to know how much harder it really is to develop for RIM, since the difficulty of development is usually the first thing metioned as to why BlackBerry lacks apps.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread