+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...es-to-the-iPAD... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Top 10 Alternatives to the iPAD

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    " , to its aluminum backing"

Worries me that they gave the GT first, but got that wrong. Its plastic, although it looks like brushed aluminium.

I looked at the Acer hard, a little at the Asus when I went tab shopping. The Acer is nice, in the end I didn't choose it based on some customer service reviews and some reviews on battery life.

Overall, personally I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of these. Seems there is a tab to fit most needs. The bb may be no. 10, but when I looked at it I thought it solid and beautiful. It was the fact that I have an app that only runs on android or ipad.

The only one that I personally didn't find attractive was the xoom. Still haven't rolled out 4g and barely rolled out SD card support. Unfulfilled promises worry me.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I think the PB was ranked a little harshly, i have tried many tablets and few compared imho

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    I think the PB was ranked a little harshly, i have tried many tablets and few compared imho
    Have to agree. Read today Best Buy is annoyed with how poorly the Touch Pad is selling. Would think the Play Book would be ranked higher than that. Maybe its that pesky email issue.

If this keeps happening I'm going to stop posting. 3 doubles in a row. Wow.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Subjective yes, I love the Playbook, it is the only one approved by the government (maybe a bad thing as the government has not done very well) I do think there is a negative press against RIM and there are far less apps written for them by 3rd party developers
    Last edited by dushdavj; 08-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    When the Playbook was anounced the press were very negative, after a month they reported how it did not sell enough since it was not as good as the Ipad. I don't see similar reports with the other tabs. Obviously the Ipad will sell a lot, (it's Apple, its has been marketed extensively, not enough were sent to the stores so people had to line up, causing news reports making more people to want one, etc). Not having a native e-mail app was not a deal changer for me, I could check my e-mails using the browser with the links or using bb bridge which I find great for checking attachments on my company e-mails, much easier to read than using the Torch, and not as large to carry around as my PC. That alone should move the Playbook further up the list since none of the other tablets have such good integration.

So I wonder what the real criteria is with the reviews, do the journelists get paid or get goodies, or have shares in the companies? Again I prefer the reviews I see here because I know while it is still opinions, and still objective the reviews are truly from people who use the items, and others will either agree or disagree depending on how they use the technology. This then allows us to choose the item that best suits us.

I read a lot of reviews, and I can tell you very few are unbiased. Engadget is getting awful, if they're not biased towards Apple, then I don't know who is. Funny thing is I remember when the iPhone launched and engadget and every other tech site bashed it. Over the course of its life issues that were raised at launch began to be glossed over (cut and paste), and any flaws were deemed acceptable. Fine and dandy, but they offer no such exemptions for other devices.

Bias is more and more prevalent simply because they (most reviewers) want to keep reviewing. Bias pleases one manufacturer while generating enough hits to keep users clicking the sites. I admit I do it just to read the troll posts. And that goes to the other article del posted about fanboys. Keep em coming, hell even if your opinion sucks, someone will defend you to the point of giving an air of legitimacy to your review. Face it, not everyone reads every review, some take one for Gospel.

So you get an article about RIM struggling in the US. It becomes fashionable to beat them up. Generates hits, talk, etc. The impact may be slight, or it may just drive those who aren't tech nerds further away. The PB is a solid pad with the usual bb issues (apps come to mind), biased reviewers don't help. Of course RIM isn't exactly inspiring confidence either.

It works both ways to an extent. Glowing reviews that are clearly influenced by personal preference can be a turnoff as well. Reading Crackberrys review of the new bold made my head hurt. Everything has flaws, Android, Apple, and Blackberry. Reviewing and either glossing over or ignoring due to bias should be considered misleading the consumer.

Sorry so long. Practicing my preaching.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^ I hope to follow on Pinstack's traditional non-partisan approach.
    My opinion is obviously mine, but I try to state what I deem, at the moment, to be as important as possible to the user, or in the particular case of our members and visitors, the various brands that are repreented on PS. AND MORE than what my opinion is worth, are the comments posted by the stackers. They've always shown an open mindedness that's not seen on any of the other forums. Granted, some may defend (like I do) some particular brand, and then criticize (like I do) the same brand at a later stage. But whoever has the time to read an article posted by the PS writers and their comments, I feel will have a good and balanced idea of what we think. PS has always been like this. Since I started...and it is the real reason for me being a proud stacker today.
    And unlike others, I don´t (we don´t) receive freebies. I don´t want them, really. For the WHAT I SAY I have PhoneHouse near home, Vodafone, Dotbright, FNAC and a few more loaning me the equipment. And I have to beg, everytime. And I test (I'm not a pro, so I test what I think is important) for two, three days at most (I've heard they refer clients to Pinstack.com to pick up on the reviews... that's good). And then, there it is for you guys to read. Whether you likeor you don't like what I wrote, you can post your comment and opinion. That´s healthy.
    Pinstack doesn´t owe any one favors. And the "bosses" have never conditioned my stories. Mine, and I'm sure anybody elses. For this reason the PS writers will defend this philosophy, all the time.
    Independence...
    Sorry guys. End of rant !

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, I value your opinion and enjoy reading your reviews, my comments were about other sites, not PS. The thing I enjoy is that articles are posted from other areas, which provides a different slant, but what I value most are the comments on here from fellow stackers, especially you, much as I was annoyed by your negative opinion on the new Bold OS7 I fully appreciated the reason for it, and in fact agree with you in that this would have put RIM way ahead had it come out 2 years ago. As you say Independence is what makes Pinstack!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^ I "used" this discussion thread just to clear my mind. Came in handy. Thanks Dave.

Del, I think you know my opinion on your review.

I'm referring mostly to the big name consumer reviews, like engadget, some cent, and crackberry. Imagine if your review had been on there....your butt would still be on fire.

Pinstack offers users, who may prefer one brand, can see and think for themselves. He se the lively discussion after that review.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ I realize that, thanks J. My butt ? Nevemind fire. Paul Revere would have less saddle sores.
    The editors wouldn´t allow it...

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    #7. The Motorola Xoom is the first, but is already outdated

WOW! Really? Let's See....
    It runs the most updated version of Android and will continue to receive software updates faster than all other Android tablets. This should be a major factor for anyone looking to buy an Android device. Your number #1, made by Samsung who has the worst track record for software updates, will probably be last. Not to mention it has a nasty touchwiz skin on top of beautiful Honeycomb.
    The Xoom is powered by Tegra 2. Nothing on this list is running faster.
    It has the best cameras of any tablet. Stereo speakers also.
    Best build quality. Gorilla glass and aluminum.
    How about ports? The Xoom has micro USB and HDMI. It has an sdcard slot also. Your #1 has none.

Its very much up to date on hardware and software.

What I Say?

1. Motorola Xoom
    2. Transformer
    3. Playbook
    4. Galaxy 10.1
    5. Ipad 2
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    mmmmm... my Transformer in 2nd place. Wow, I made a good choice...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast