+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Not yo be disrespectful, are you genuinely asking or making a point?... Smartphone News forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Not yo be disrespectful, are you genuinely asking or making a point?

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I don't go to Starbucks anymore since I found out that the processors in their coffee makers are slow and outdated.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm asking to find out. These things concern me. Not making a point.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I went once to a starbucks and never tried another ever again. They charge you and expect a tip; seriously? All they do is pour the coffee in a cup and expect a tip? I had to add sugar and milk/cream. Why don't they give me a tip instead?

Im an iPhone fanboy that carries an S three now. The battery life is on par with my i4. I work 12 hour days and I unplug at 6 in the morning and it lasts me till 10pm. I usually get 4 to 6 hours of on screen time. I use spotify for three to four hours a day with a lot of web browsing. I had to root and rom to get this performance. Overall, it's a good phone. Camera is ace, screen is awesome indoors but bad outdoors. If you listen to music on your phone you will be disappointed with the sound quality. It doesn't compare to the iPhone and you will hear crackling and pops sometimes. Takes a while to get used to the size, but the extra real estate pays off when watching video or viewing pics. Check it out, Choke. Root and throw JB on it. Apps will run a whole lot better than on Touchwiz. I give it a 9 out of 10. Would buy again.
    chokem likes this.

If you want an updated Android, wait for the new nexus or root. By the time OS updates arrive to your phone iMaps will be working on iPhone. Android is for people who like to go rogue and do things themselves. There are ways to Root so you can revert to stock and trade the phone in for a warranty exchange if needed, they will never know. Samsung has a website where you can download ATT stock images back on your phone using their software called Odin. It's pretty easy, If you can theme your iPhone you can root and rom your Android. The ROM I use updates OTA and is a life saver because they come out with new builds all the time, sometimes three a week or twice a day.
    chokem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    #1 for me. Although I'm not 100% opposed to trying another Android. As I've stated, I've heard a lot of good things about the SG3. There are some things that concern me though. JF, maybe you can clue me in. (1) I can get 6 hours of battery life, that's HARD usage, either surfing, gaming or listening to music. How does that compare with the newer model Androids? (2) I have a co-worker that has a Droid X or something like that he says is obsolete now because the carrier won't or can't push the latest OS to his phone because it's incompatible. Is that true? And why can't you just log into a website and update your OS when a new one comes out? (3) Why are a lot of the apps in the app Market not compatible with ALL Android OS's? These are some of my concerns about switching if someone could give me a little insight.
    Can you get 6 hours of screen on, web surfing..dunno. I've managed 4 hours without kernel tweaks. As the batteries get bigger I'd say close. However some can't. Depends on device and a few other things.

The is update question is the biggest hiccup in the system. The problem isn't Android but manufacturer/carriers. Delays and "incompatibility are questionable and often proven false by the talent at XDA. Would be nice if Google would bring a hammer down and make each carrier push ASAP. However, just to throw this in, many of the UI improvements make it to the market as individual apps. Nova, Apex both bring the Jellybean UI, ICS browser + brings the browser, and Del posted about the notification app just the other day.

Root makes it possible to not only get the latest version, but often times an enhanced version with more features. An example is AOKP builds that take Cyanogen and add UI changes (tablet UI on a phone), notification Widgets, app enhancements, and performance ehancements.

Incompatible apps? Across 3 builds I haven't hit but one apparently that isn't compatible, and that's a yet...I think xda has beta builds that work but aren't released yet. That's another plus. When I'm bored I cruise the app section of xda and try stuff that hasn't hit the market. Its always evolving. Does incompatability exist? Sure. Is it a real problem? No.

There are a lot if older devices getting Jellybean, but they have to be rooted. Even then devices that aren't are still getting updates through dedicated developers.

Look at this. Papa got a Nexus 7 and wanted Flash. It was as simple as sending him the .apk and him flashing it.

If I'm out and my battery is dying, I can always dial it down from 1.2 to 700 MHz and set my screen off to 200. Or I can load custom voltages to eke out some more that way. Or both.

I want a great Calender app, I've got a crap load with different features to choose from.

Lastly, I don't think a lot of the arguments that held up against android no longer hold. It isn't laggy. The apps aren't half baked. Battery life isn't greatest, but its not what it used to be. The materials arent cheap.

Would you like it? Don't know. I'd have to ask why switch? You are happy with iOS, it works and does all you want. If ever curious just buy a used Android on Craigslist and go wifi only. You can then play around with routing, flashing and (maybe) theme making...without a risk or commitment.

Just take the typos. Been driving a lot today and too tired to weed em out.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Ok thanks. I do listen to music a lot. What about the apps not being compatible with all the devices and why? Is it solely because of the different screen sizes?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    nada
    Ok thanks JF. I asked that last question as you were typing your answer. I don't know, I may be too deep into the iOS ecosystem to switch, but the GS3 does look good. When do you guys think the next Nexus will be out? My next upgrade is in Jan.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

It'll be out soon I'd guess.
    Keep in mind that Nexus devices wont have the latest and greatest hardware. They are "reference" or "developer" friendly.

The best thing about a nexus is the updates, and the development for it. Browse XDA Galaxy Nexus, or the Nexus S and see.

Download the SDK if you want to toy with theming.

You can grab an unlocked GSM Gnex used for 250ish. From there you can play around. Resale will suck. You know that though.

Switching? Just be 100% sure. I know how you feel about your iPhone, would hate to see you disappointed and stuck.
    chokem likes this.

P.S. Music. I don't know what an iPhone sounds like. O do know that I'm happy with the purchased and ripped music I have, but some of my....downloads don't measure up.

There are quite a few music apps. I use power amp.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Do the new GS3's that AT&T is selling already have jellybean? And what Android would you buy if you could have your pick? What about the OneX+?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    nada
    The 4S music player is by far the best I've heard btw.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I love this thread!
    PS at its best!

Right now I don't know what I'd pick. Not having used any of the its difficult to say, plus what someone else may like may not fit another.

Cap, Roger and Del could give insights on the S3 and HTC. I can only give my opinion on the Nexus as far as day to day.,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast