+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Originally Posted by raton iMaps is just an app. There is nothing wrong with the ... Smartphone News forum

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    iMaps is just an app. There is nothing wrong with the phone except for people's shenanigans about the scuffgate and the purple hazegate fiasco. Blackberries used to break with the keypads not working properly. Samsung galaxy SII had issues as well and so did every damn device out there. Why do people want a windows operating PC when they get hacked so easily? Why don't they hack Apple computers? Because they are not as popular as windows and not a lot of people use them...etc, etc, etc.

Del knows all the issues and gripes about the i5 and he has posted articles on every one of them, then he has followed up with an article about Google and how they offer something better. But That is not going to deter him from dropping all those euros on this phone. He still wants one. Cooley will say that iSheep and "Steves congregation" do this all the time, but we know that Del is not one of these people. He's just a tech maniac, and he has the means so he does what he wants. I'm crazy about the iPhone and will get another one sooner or later, but it just proves to you that Apple may not be number one at everything, but there is something about that OS and those quality apps that drive people to it.

I agree with the majority, iMaps is pure and utter crap, but I could care less about the map application. I personally don't need street view when looking for the nearest Starbucks or walmart. There was a day people used the phone book to find addresses and still found their way. Thats not to say that Apple shouldn't fix their app, but the old one was just fine for me. I think the majority of people use the maps application on Android just for personal entertainment, if Google maps is the only way people are finding their way around, we have bigger problems.

So I agree with Choke, no one really cares unless you and your OS have something to prove.
    srl7741 and chokem like this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks and no thanks Cap. Tech maniac? How wrong you are!!!
    New Tech Junkie! That´s better!
    And yes, I still have TomTom. And alternative apps to sort the shortfalls of the i5.
    The criticism is due because it´s true and pertinent! Maps suck! Find Friends suck! Newstand Sucks Major Time! Passbook Sucks - in apartheid South Africa all the blacks had to carry a Passbook! This sis almost the same, wanting to know who you are, where you are, what you do, I'm sure Hendrik Verwoerd (apartheid legislator and prime minister of RSA at the time) has a patent on that.
    Another point. I bought (or we all will buy sooner or later) the i5. I didn´t buy Apple Store although its almost implied that you do buy that too. But what I mean is: if you look at the i5 for the apps it has, it sucks! Big time! But of course, you just go and find alternatives and off you go.
    As far as finished product (hardware) it´s a classy Apple iteration! It breathes class all over. Especially the white one. But it´s dainty, fragile compared to the i4. So off I went, straight away, and got it a sturdy, clear condom!
    The rest you´ll have to wait to know when I review it.
    Tech maniac...tsk, tsk!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Cap and JF. I agree with both of your lasts posts. The maps deal is just a glitch. I don't know anyone who bought an i5 for its turn by turn capabilities. So for 99.9% of the folks, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. Apple makes good stuff, and that's why people continuing shelling out their money. Will it end? Maybe. Will they miss Jobs? Absolutely. Like I said, I've used a high end Android and for me it was crappy. All I know is my own experience. Again, when's the last time you heard CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, or any other major news show talking about an Android? I don't think I ever have, to be honest. Like I said, we wouldn't even be discussing this if it were another platform.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    nada
    Del, I'm waiting for your evaluation of the i5. I know you'll be honest and completely unbiased. Right Del?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah, as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Thanks and no thanks Cap. Tech maniac? How wrong you are!!!
    New Tech Junkie! That´s better!
    And yes, I still have TomTom. And alternative apps to sort the shortfalls of the i5.
    The criticism is due because it´s true and pertinent! Maps suck! Find Friends suck! Newstand Sucks Major Time! Passbook Sucks - in apartheid South Africa all the blacks had to carry a Passbook! This sis almost the same, wanting to know who you are, where you are, what you do, I'm sure Hendrik Verwoerd (apartheid legislator and prime minister of RSA at the time) has a patent on that.
    Another point. I bought (or we all will buy sooner or later) the i5. I didn´t buy Apple Store although its almost implied that you do buy that too. But what I mean is: if you look at the i5 for the apps it has, it sucks! Big time! But of course, you just go and find alternatives and off you go.
    As far as finished product (hardware) it´s a classy Apple iteration! It breathes class all over. Especially the white one. But it´s dainty, fragile compared to the i4. So off I went, straight away, and got it a sturdy, clear condom!
    The rest you´ll have to wait to know when I review it.
    Tech maniac...tsk, tsk!
    So you're already unhappy with the i5 and you're going to drop cash on it anyway? Yea, that sounds like like smart consumerism... But hey, don't let that stop you from your "tech junkie" habit.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ Somehow, something doesn't quite sync here Cap! I don't understand your senses (time) and sense...

Dainty, fragile, new apps suck and elegant. I think we already have your review. Lol.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    When I do write it you don't have to read it then.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Well its a humorous situation to me as always with an iPhone release. As people continue to make excuses for this billion dollar company, I laugh. Hey Del, I agree the apology fell way short, and I want to add few more to your things that suck list.

The letterboxing. Yes that's ridiculous, and unacceptable in the Android world. It has that weird resolution, (no true HD), for no good reason except to give you black bars and fun hours of converting videos. That sucks.

It sucks to be stuck with iOS (a dinosaur), for a whole year. Ouch! Android will have evolved at least 2 more times before iOS see's another so-called update. How is Facebook and Twitter intergration being touted as "new features" in late 2012? Comical!

I don't feel any sympathy for the millions of people that run out and buy a product just because of a name brand. You deserve what you get. And Apple is milking this cow to the end.

And lets be clear. You don't hear about these types of things on Android because these huge blunders don't exist on Android. Not saying its perfect, but its unforgivable on this side, and we would never let Google get away with it by defending this nonsense.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Congrats!!! I've been waiting for two weeks now and I'm about to go on a slapping spree. I cannot live without a smartphone. Heck, at this point I'll even take a Blackberry device... Yup, that desperate
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    <sigh>
    3 types of people who buy the iPhone (and perhaps any os).

1. Those that have tried it, it works for them, pleases them aesthetically, and they are invested in the ecosystem.

2. Geek tech junkies that will try it just to see what its like and move on to another and another.....

3. Those that have to be "in". Those that have to have it because someone else may covet it and be jealous. Those that want a shiny status symbol. Those that wait in line for it and have no clue what it is. Those that believe it is an extension of their egos, or maybe it makes up for the lack of ego. Whatever we call them...fandroids, iSheep, whatever Win 8 folks will be called.....

Pick your number..

Personally, I'm on my 3rd build of Android. I will tell you that no built in app or feature was hyped then busted like iMaps.
    Now would the world care? Maybe. My earlier point stands as far as so many devices. Android users have choices. Samsung drops the ball then users ignore that device and buy HTC. We have choices. Choices of many avenues if something doesn't work. Apple has no such luxury. Say the the i5 is lacking, then what do you do? Go backwards is about your only choice.

$199 is a lot of money, not to mention paying $700. I don'tcare where or who you are, for that money you shouldn't have to make shortcuts to use Google Maps. For that money the device, iOS, Android, or Win 8, should perform AS ADVERTISED or you should not buy or get your money back. No excuses, no apologies.

Lastly, if this were android you bet your sweet rear end the world would know it. Maybe not the news, but every iFan would be online, in line at Starbucks, laughing and calling Android owners stupid, poor, and owning inferior plastic crap. Two wrongs don't make a right, but see why there's some lashing out?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^ #4 all of the above .

Guilty!
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    You go to Starbucks? Ewwww

PIN/ID
    nada
    #1 for me. Although I'm not 100% opposed to trying another Android. As I've stated, I've heard a lot of good things about the SG3. There are some things that concern me though. JF, maybe you can clue me in. (1) I can get 6 hours of battery life, that's HARD usage, either surfing, gaming or listening to music. How does that compare with the newer model Androids? (2) I have a co-worker that has a Droid X or something like that he says is obsolete now because the carrier won't or can't push the latest OS to his phone because it's incompatible. Is that true? And why can't you just log into a website and update your OS when a new one comes out? (3) Why are a lot of the apps in the app Market not compatible with ALL Android OS's? These are some of my concerns about switching if someone could give me a little insight.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast