+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ogizes-I-Groan... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Tim Cook Apologizes, I Groan...

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    inverted + and - volume buttons
    Seriously?? Hadn't heard about that one. Oy.....

PIN/ID
    Nope!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    LOL! That would be seriously annoying. I haven't heard from anyone I know who got one about that. Maybe they just haven't used them yet.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Why the heck would you buy this knowing that it has these issues?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Don't apologize, give all the customers free gps apps such as tomtom/navigon/telenav/etc. Words don't mean (caca)<----- spanish for.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Why the heck would you buy this knowing that it has these issues?

iMaps is just an app. There is nothing wrong with the phone except for people's shenanigans about the scuffgate and the purple hazegate fiasco. Blackberries used to break with the keypads not working properly. Samsung galaxy SII had issues as well and so did every damn device out there. Why do people want a windows operating PC when they get hacked so easily? Why don't they hack Apple computers? Because they are not as popular as windows and not a lot of people use them...etc, etc, etc.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Maybe there are issues, maybe perceived. Doesn't matter when the company and its users pride themselves in fit and finish of both device and in house apps.

Yes there are other devices that have had issues. Heck mine is famous for munching on batteries. Problem is Sammy doesn't scream how great and magical their lines are from the rooftops. Windows gets hacked, blackberries can't type. Doesn't matter.

Why? Cause Apple and Jobs have spent millions to tell (train?l) its users how much better its materials are. Preaches the gosphel of expensive feel. When you put so much effort into creating such an image, people are going to call you out when you drop the ball. And with iMaps the ball was dropped. Remember the hype when it was unveiled? Go to YouTube if you need a refresher.

If it doesn't happen again for awhile, then I'm sure the congregation will forgive and mostly forget. Wont be but a memory in next years Samsung commercial at the iPhone 6 launch.

If this continues, if the miscues and un-Joblike behavior of halfassed attempts go on, then you'll hear many more apologies.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Want to add that I really take no pleasure from seeing this. I don't like Apples arrogance in the courts and patent office. I also don't like seeing folks getting less than they pay for regardless of what it is.

I hope Apple gets this sorted out.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I hear ya. This is why I am waiting for this version; skip the 5S when it's released and get the 6th installment two years from now as I did from the i4 (the regular one not the 4S) 4S was iphone 4 with Siri that's all. Iphone 5 will be the mapless iphone and iphone 5S will be the one with the real maps app or improved and the iPhone 6 will finally have google maps if all else fails and Apple has no choice but to opt for it and/or make a third party app an in-house or outta the box app. We shall see.

I as a previous i4 user didn't really care for google maps; though it was convenient to navigate right outta the app utilizing tomtom/navigon/sygic/etc...

I read the articles as to why Apple and Google didn't agree on the whole maps issue but what they both did not keep in mind was its customers. This is a great lesson to many manufacturing giants out there such as RIM/Windows etc.

The customer was given the shaft here and that's the hard reality but whining about it in forums and displaying anger will not affect Apple's pockets. The way to hurt them is by returning the device and asking for a refund but will anyone return the device eventhough you've read all these reviews and news on TV/newspapers/twitter/facebook/PC/mobile devices?

As a customer, I won't return it to be honest because I have been conditioned to using the device and know for a fact that a simple gps app won't be a deal breaker because I can replace those easily. Having said this, there are many that users that are not as savvy as I am and will not be able to do what jailbreakers do and what not.

For instance, my sister bought the phone simply because she wants the phone as trophy phone and because of the screen size and a few other things but whines about going back to her 50 inch screen size Galaxy SIII and other Android devices but loves the quality of the pics despite the many reports of the purple shenanigans and what not.

A friend of mine; a die-hard android device owner from HTC to Samsung to Google Nexus now wants an iPhone to try something new despite all of these news because he feels the apps are more solid on an apple device. This is also experienced on the consoles such as the XBox platform/Sony's Playstation/Wii ... Some games won't make it to one console and kinda makes the owners feel robbed and want what the other has.

We will not be happy unless we own a device running every OS out there but until then we will have to make the best of what we choose to own and find ways around the limitations to make it grand.
    jfcooley likes this.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Haha. We wouldn't be discussing this if this was Motorola, HTC, Samsung, RIM, etc. The only reason this is even an issue is because they are who they are. Only a moron would buy a $6-700 phone and not put a case on it. Since Apple and Google have parted ways, I've added a Google maps bookmark to my home screen. It was really hard, it took like 30 seconds. Untill they get the maps deal sorted out with an upgrade, just use Google maps. Problems solved.
    jfcooley likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

You don't hear a whole lot about Android device defects. Admittedly becauce there are so many out there. It gets drowned out by the next one. Sad but true. The media doesn't pick it up, but again its also due to the image Apple has created. Personally I use XDA as a barometer on Android device quality. If it has an issue...its there.

Few will return. I've been watching those who own an iPhone get hammered by other users for considering such a thing.

Glenn you are 100% right about using the web Google maps. I think the issue still arises that you'd have to. Apple promises and Apple delivers. With maps that promise was broken. Its a trust issue for some.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Upddate: Vodafone called. Nice and early. They received new stock of i 5 ´s overnight and would I like to go and get mine?
    I got there before the girl put the phone down.
    And this one was spotless. i5 32Gb White. WooHoo!
    By next week I´ll have something to say.
    raton likes this.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    JF, that was my point. You don't hear about other manufaturer's defects because no one really cares. The maps issue has been known since the release, and they still sold out. If there is a perceived trust issue, I sure cant see it. The numbers sold say differently. I do understand there is a problem though, but I also know they'll get it sorted out. Meanwhile, they'll keep stocking the shelves.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

It's not (in my opinion) that no one cares, it's that it usually get's lost in all the different models. I can bet that if the S3 had major issues we would have heard about it.

My point isn't that the trust issue will stop folks from buying. After all, this is the first real software issue that is as bad as it is. It's more of a dent, blemish, one that Apple to date hasn't really suffered with the iPhone. While one can choose a different app for maps, it's still preceived as a "WTF" happened moment. it's not enough to keep people from buying, look at the video you posted about the girl in line. It is an issue. If it keeps happening then you may just see some of the loyal users (ones like you who use it because it fits, not as a "trophy phone") start to jump ship.

I'm not saying for a moment Apple is on the decline, that they've peaked. I think though, that they are at a crossroads. Do they simply coast and try to protect the lead and revenue, or do they really try to innovate and push. iMaps may have been a sign that they are indeed trying to push further and evolve as well as innovate. It's the result that may scare them into sitting back.
    Remember, just my opinions, not fact.

Android has issues too. People do care. As I said before though, Google, Samsung, HTC, and the others aren't climbing on a pulpit and proclaiming how refined and beautiful their device is. Sure Sammy has spouted some crap, but there isn't a cult like following for the device. Apple has a blessing and a curse in the amount of marketing and followers it's developed. Those people are first to slam anyone who does "Think Different" and often turn apologist when something goes wrong. Now however, some of those are disappointed because they were promised an experience that fell short, and honestly that's not something Apple does.

About the issues known since release......I know from reading forums that some have decided to stay away from it until the issue is fixed. The video of the girl explains many others.

Oh, it just occured to me that someone does care when an Android drops the ball. Read the comments on sites from Steves Congragation. They are always commenting on Google releasing beta software and how Android users are just Googles beta testers. Those same folks are quick to defend Siri's beta status (and flaws) as well as defending iMaps. So even if they had issues they are so....invested (like that term better than brainwashed) to admit a fault.

Glenn you could (and may) be right, no one cares enough to stop buying. Will they care if stuff like this continues? At what point does it become a sign that things really have changed at Apple since Jobs passed? Cook has his work cut out for him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast